FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wierd but good!  (Read 5384 times)

the Wizard

Wierd but good!
« on: Jun 19, 2007, 11:08 AM »
  A fellow fisherman told me to try boiling perch in lemon lime soda , he said it really makes it taste like lobster.
      Several weeks later I came home with a bunch of perch and gave it a try, I was pretty impressed.
 It does give them a flavor similar ; I used a 1 litter bottle of cheap soda and there is hardly any mess compared to batters or egg and bread crumbs, but I still like the other ways too.
Catch and release in a hot pan of grease.

luckyduck22

• Get em
Re: Wierd but good!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2007, 11:19 AM »
that is kinda weird but if it works o well. I will have to give it a try then

RickTheRock

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2007, 10:24 PM »
I have never boiled fish before. how is it done I would like to try it.
Thanks
Rock

the Wizard

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2007, 09:30 PM »
 Just pour soda in pot , bring to a boil and drop in fillets, when they curl and turn white remove them[ just a few min.]        Quite easy and very little mess.

RickTheRock

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2007, 09:47 PM »
Thank you for the info.
Rock

ice023

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2007, 05:25 AM »
you can also boil them in sea salt.   there are a lot a recipes out there call poor mans lobster, some of them are really good. 

carpcatcher

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2007, 07:17 AM »
Just remember that you don't need the liquid to be at a hard boil, just a slight bubbling is best as the fillets are fragile. I like to just use water and add lots of old bay to mine ;)
           Jim
Love 2 fish

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2007, 01:12 PM »
Never did the lime soda thing, but have spent many weeks at fly-in lakes in Quebec.  At least once a trip we take our eyes, cut the fillets up into chunks, boil them like this in water, and then right away drop them into ice cold water to stop the cooking.  Then with cocktail sauce it's like poor man's peel and eat shrimp.  Don't boil them too long though.

Scientist

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2007, 11:57 AM »
I have to make a comment here. How high was the guy that first thought of cooking fish in lemon-lime soda? I would not have thought that in a million years now I'm going to definitely have to give it a try.

the Wizard

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2007, 06:06 PM »
I have to make a comment here. How high was the guy that first thought of cooking fish in lemon-lime soda? I would not have thought that in a million years now I'm going to definitely have to give it a try.
:rotflol: :clapping: I never thought of that .... ;D   I heard it from a friend ,said; he heard it from a old timer and I never questioned it , but I did use this method a few times and I thought I'd share it.         
   As scansy said , dipping them in cold water after boiling might improve the firmness.   The lemon lime gives the fillets a very similar taste  [but not exact] to lobster.

walleymcjigger

« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2008, 10:31 PM »
works with ling too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.