FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SENECA LAKE BAD FISH  (Read 4506 times)

old man river

SENECA LAKE BAD FISH
« on: Mar 16, 2023, 07:35 AM »

AS SEEN ON FINGERS LAKES ONE NEWS

MORE NEWS from SENECA LAKE

PFOS found in most Seneca Lake fish at hundreds of times NYS limit
•   March 14, 2023 4:35 AM
•     Peter Mantius
When the state tested    34 lake trout   and    yellow perch    from Seneca Lake for the toxic ‘forever chemical’ PFOS in 2020,
most were found to be contaminated at hundreds of times the state’s enforceable limit for identical compound in public drinking water.

MY;  SOLUTION MORE FISH YOU EAT   SOONER OR LATER ,LESS THERE IS TO THE PROBLEM??     ::) :sick:
ralph

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: SENECA LAKE BAD FISH
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2023, 04:37 PM »
If it ain’t one thing…..it’s another.

Anyone who thinks they can live 73 years in this world ( like me as of today) and be free from any so called toxic substances, should probably never have been born.

But, that’s hard to do. We don’t have much choice of being born. That’s up to two other people.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

piscesman

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2023, 06:19 PM »
OK, I'm going out on a limb here. Let me know if I'm wrong. From what I have read and heard MOST states when they test fish for consumption don't test the whole fish with skin, guts and skin for these dangerous toxins. From what I understand NYS does. Why test the whole fish for this stuff when no one really eats the whole fish?? Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

wertty

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2023, 07:04 AM »
i have eaten fish from oneida and lake ontario for70 of 81 years at least i time a week! i still can climb io my tree stand  all though not as quick as when old shep was a pup  so eat a fish and forget the propaganda written by would be nay sayer. they mean well but i go by results i see  ME!!!!!!!!

Pequod1

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2023, 07:12 AM »
As best I can determine, here is a copy of the original abstract that was submitted for peer review.  Not really clearly stated as to whether they  ground up the entire fish or just the filet. I will reach out to a professor friend of mine for clarification and I have sent this professor an e mail.

Pequod1

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2023, 07:51 AM »
And, researching the guy further, he’s on a PFAS kick.  Dairy farms, sewage treatment plants, and just about all food containers including paper straws are contaminated.
This goes back to the 1940’s.  We all should have been dead years ago.

hinkydo

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2023, 08:34 AM »
I have no lead in I disagree, maybe a little mercury. I also have eaten fish, mostly perch, at least once a week or more.
Still kicking and wanting to eat more, catch also. 

hinkydo Fish On

reeleyz

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2023, 09:11 AM »
i have eaten fish from oneida and lake ontario for70 of 81 years at least i time a week! i still can climb io my tree stand  all though not as quick as when old shep was a pup  so eat a fish and forget the propaganda written by would be nay sayer. they mean well but i go by results i see  ME!!!!!!!!

If I could live that long by eating fish then sign me up!!!  :thumbup_smilie:

KingPerch

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2023, 09:44 AM »
I have consumed many fish from Our waters….. last years Dr visit and bloodwork showed negative results for any contaminates in my body. “ Eat all of the fish you want”!! Dr’s orders!! I believe I will!!🎣
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2023, 10:12 AM »
I'm kinda tired of hearing all the "alarmists" telling the world how contaminated our fish are...I'm 75 yrs old and some of my fishing buddies are around the same age or older and we all are still around, still hunting and fishing walk around in the woods without a walker, climbing treestands and as some have said eat at least 1 or more meals of fish per week. We usually eat fillets (although occasionally whole gills/crappie) and leave the belly meat off of the fish...I say eat fish and be healthy and happy!!
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Pequod1

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2023, 10:44 AM »
I agree John.  I’m 74 and I know I have eaten fish at least twice/ week. 
I just got word back from the scientist in charge of the study.
To put all rumors to rest, NY does not use whole fish samples.  The samples are filets.  But, they leave the rib cage and belly meat on.  I got back to him and told him fishermen don’t do that.  I know for a fact that the belly flap has the fattiest tissue and that is where most of the contaminants are found. 
Unless they change their sampling technique, consider this bad science. Basically for show.

icejohn

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2023, 10:59 AM »
You are right...that's why we don't include the belly meat and probably why we're still around but wonder even how much the rest of the science is as bad as they really say. Good to hear from you Jim hope you're doing well.
John
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Pequod1

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2023, 06:51 AM »
Good to hear from you too John. We are both around and kicking after eating all those fish  ;D

icejohn

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2023, 07:40 AM »
Absolutely...just hoping to find some open water fishing soon..
John

Old Timer

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2023, 01:39 PM »

I started eating fish from Oneida lake and Oneida Creek (above Oneida) when  I was weaned off pablum.  Still active fishing, gardening, hunting and such and will be 85 in 3 months.  Planning to live till I’m 100.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.