FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Is this a Bowfin?  (Read 6940 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Is this a Bowfin?
« on: Jul 09, 2007, 05:58 PM »
This is the second time this year I hooked into one of these and the first time I was able to land one....when I lost my last one the guy I was fishing with called it a Dog fish, which Im told is another name for Bowfin...any experts want to confirm this guy for me

he was caught while bass fishing, with a wacky rigged french fry worm

pyle

Re: Is this a Bowfin?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Hope you left it right on shore too

fishboy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2007, 07:52 PM »
Hope you left it right on shore too

why would you do something that ignorant?  I suppose you are one of those guys that throws the dink perch on the ice too.  Why kill it? what is it hurting ?  ???
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

FarginIcehole

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2007, 09:35 PM »
pyle remember what site your on

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2007, 09:39 PM »
Pyle,
you know in your surrounding states those bowfin are either endangered or a canidate species.  you should feel privledged  to catch those fish because others can not.

Personally i would report you to the DEC if I saw you leave one of those or any other fish to die woth out the intent on using it for something.  If you wish to take somethings life atleast give it the respect of being used for something.

If i mis understood something let me know

JIGGERMAN    

crappieslayer22

• the kayak fisherman
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2007, 10:00 PM »
o boy here we go agian ::) :pinch:
Loren .W.

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2007, 10:23 PM »
RWR says  :nono: :nono: :nono: to wasting fish    8)

Fishingking

« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2007, 10:23 PM »
thats a dogfish not a bowfin

The list of local and alternate names the bowfin is known by is lengthy, but common ones include "dogfish", "mudfish", "grindle" (or "grinnel") and "lawyer". In parts of S. Louisiana they are called "tchoupique" or "choupique".
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

Spikehorn11

« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2007, 11:31 PM »
o boy here we go agian ::) :pinch:

You said it.  ::)

pyle

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2007, 08:07 AM »
HAHA :D  Man everything you say(type) on here gets blown out of praportion...I'll just stick to shooting carp ::)

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2007, 08:30 AM »
The Dogfish/Bowfin is considered a TRASH fish and should be eliminated whenever possible. They consume a tremendous amout of other gamefish, not just little gills and Perch. There is a reason that there is not a LIMIT on this trash fish. Just like the carp, garpike etc...it should be tossed ashore for the benefit of other species like coons, skunks, oppossums, bears, birds etc...That is not wanton waste, it is helping other species, and ridding a lake of unwanted species that are not good for the eco-system as far as sportsmen are concerned.
The DNR in MI will regularily reccomend to anglers in the reservoirs to discard this fish as it is detrimental to their efforts at managing waters.
Some of you act like left wing wacko tree huggers when it comes to trash fish like carp, gars and Bowfin. Lighten up, if you wish to harm the waters you pursue gamefish in, then let the trash fish go, but if you would like to be a good stewart of resources, then trash the trash fish.

Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

JimP

« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2007, 08:50 AM »
Bowfin are only "trash" fish to some. Some people keep and eat them. I consider them one of the best of fighters and enjoy fishing for them. I release all fish that are not bound for either the taxidermist or the table. Many states (better check your own regs) prohibit the killing of fish that are not to be kept for consumption. At best, throwing fish on the bank to rot would be considered littering almost everywhere.

fishboy

« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2007, 08:56 AM »
No matter what you call it. its still a Bowfin its not an exotic or introduced species.  Not invasive,   kinda cool,  fights good when caught,  but hey If you guys wanna kill stuff just cause you have no personal use for itthen go right ahead!  Then if it ever gets to the point that the species is in trouble you can B*tch that the DEC is wasting money on non-game fish.  Or better yet, wait, kill everything thats not a game, sport, or tasty panfish and when someone catches one of the relic Bowfins that remain and takes a picture of it we can have a ten page arguement on whether its legal to possess it long enough to take its picture! did it ever occur to you folks that kill stuff cause its ugly or doesn't seem to have any value, or you can't eat it that some of those species are just really cool to look at and catch ?  That "old school" mentality of hey what use is it to me? has really got to go!
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

Spikehorn11

« Reply #13 on: Jul 10, 2007, 09:09 AM »
The Dogfish/Bowfin is considered a TRASH fish and should be eliminated whenever possible. They consume a tremendous amout of other gamefish, not just little gills and Perch. There is a reason that there is not a LIMIT on this trash fish. Just like the carp, garpike etc...it should be tossed ashore for the benefit of other species like coons, skunks, oppossums, bears, birds etc...That is not wanton waste, it is helping other species, and ridding a lake of unwanted species that are not good for the eco-system as far as sportsmen are concerned.
The DNR in MI will regularily reccomend to anglers in the reservoirs to discard this fish as it is detrimental to their efforts at managing waters.
Some of you act like left wing wacko tree huggers when it comes to trash fish like carp, gars and Bowfin. Lighten up, if you wish to harm the waters you pursue gamefish in, then let the trash fish go, but if you would like to be a good stewart of resources, then trash the trash fish.

I agree with you RL.

Maybe we should all agree to disagree.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Jim. at least you acknowledge that each person may feel a different way about this issue. You are right about the fish being great fighters, and I will attest that they dive for bottom, take long runs, and then when you think it is over, they take to the air.
And it is up to the individual to retain, release or dispose of their catch accordingly. I will also compliment you for not taking the opportunity to belittle other fisherman for their approach to less desirable fish. I could learn a lessen or two from you and your restraint as the urge to defend those of us that do not agree with the castigation of other sportsman becomes too strong to remain silent.

If others took your approach from the on-set, then there would be no need to defend , but rather to debate. Keep up the good posting.

This issue is not about "old School" as some misguided opinions may deem, but rather about stewardship based upon requests by our DNR staff and reg books. The State staff have requested from many an angler that these Trash fish be discarded period! Then the misguided argumentalists want to condemn those who follow the requests? Fishyboy, get with the times and realize that assisting the DNR with requests is an agenda, not a mentality.
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.