FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Early eyes? best place?  (Read 3551 times)

zuke852000

Early eyes? best place?
« on: Apr 22, 2004, 04:55 PM »
What is your opinion on the best place for early walleye? I have never fished them before early in the season and would like to try.
ZUKE

walleye_1

Re: Early eyes? best place?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2004, 09:41 AM »
Can't go wrong with Oneida Lake. The only problem is the boat traffic but I imagine it's pretty bad everywhere on opening weekend.

zuke852000

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Hey Slipbob... Whats the best place and way to catch those eyes out of the river?
ZUKE

techyfisher

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2004, 11:00 AM »
Or better what time for the river. I have heard in the past couple of years that night time was when you could really catch them. Does it make that much difference?????
Thanks

tommyboy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Is it possible to wade out at all at the mouth of the Oswego river, or does it drop off too quickly?
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Utes

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2004, 03:53 PM »
  ;D SILVER LAKE  ;D

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2004, 09:42 PM »
i hate to say it but silver lake is not a good suggestion if the person you are sending there is a beginner... silver lake as a fishery has depleated over the years and is very tough even for a well seasoned fisherman! as a matter of fact, there was an article just recently (if i can find it i will post it) saying how the population of the fish (walleye perch and pike) has diminished in numbers over the last 10 years. they are not reproducing well! the article basically said that it is need of some major re-stocking or if not it will just become a recreational lake! if you ask me, it pretty much already is a heavy recreational playground versus a fishery!

i think for a beginner or someone only a little used to walleye fishing, conesus lake would be a great lake to work on! much better than silver lake!

rrich

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2004, 10:17 PM »
Conesus has an estimated 20000 "eyes" according to the 2003 DEC survey report which you can download from the NYSDEC website.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2004, 04:37 PM »
The Hamburg shoreline of Lake Erie is always a good bet for early season night time eyes.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

zuke852000

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2004, 07:40 PM »
How bout Lake Ontario in the Fair Haven area?... Slipbob has already suggested the Oswego River which I have fished many times I guess just not with the right bait.
ZUKE

walleyed

• sleep with the fishes
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2004, 08:39 PM »
 the susquehanna river is always a good bet.(near or west of binghamton) Ecspecially that we are getting an early opener. Have had a few 40 fish days in a boat and from shore. Problem with it even on a 40 fish day it is tough to pulled a limit. Still there are those days there when its seems you cant but help  but catch a limit.     Remember to through those breaders back though!                                                                                               
If you aint fishin you aint livin

Utes

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Oak, The guy stated that he has never fished early  in the season for the eye's. If you do find that article i'd like to read it. I've been doing Silver for the whole first month of walleye for the past three years and have done remarkable. In fact we usually throw alot of keepers back( the bigger slobs so they can keep on breeding). I've never been skunked at Silver and usually come home happy. My fishing partner and I have landed a few 9 plus pounders out of that lake, of course these got thrown back after the snap-shot was taken. We usually take home the 18-22 inchers. Anyway , Zuke ; if you do make it to Silver for the early eye's stay in 4-7 ft. of water, GO SLOW 1.5 mph and try stick baits(storm).But, that's just my opinion. P.S. You could always try Honeye( the honey hole )as they where calling it a couple years ago, but if ya ask me it's much harder to catch eye's in this lake than many others and it's supposedly over populated w/ eye's. That's why they lowered the size  limit on them in honeye. Jerry of WNY is right on the mark about the shore line of Erie too. Man, i'm jumping up and down just thinking about it. GET'EMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

zuke852000

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2004, 03:11 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Hopefully I will see a few of you and possibly get to fish with some of you. Best of luck this Saturday to everyone whether it be a big tom or a monster eye.
ZUKE

waterdawg14622

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2004, 06:49 PM »
I think Im going to hit I-Bay Saturday evening or early Sunday AM.
Jeff

squareback

« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2004, 09:14 PM »
Anybody ever have any luck trollin stickbaits on owasco at night?  If so, where would be a good opener bet?  north end in front of pumphouse?....West side between points???

thanks for any input,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.