FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Finally Starting the Project  (Read 7378 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Finally Starting the Project
« Reply #30 on: Jun 28, 2023, 07:51 AM »
Made some progress yesterday. Ordered life vests and putting together a list for safety items to create a kite.

The ol’ Merc is waiting for a condenser to arrive. Once delivered and installed she should be ready to go.

Removed some rubber hole fillers. Figured i could use the remaining J-B Weld putty to fill those, while I was working on the gaping hole in the runner. I hope my impression is different when I dries. I went with the putty because of the size of the hole in the runner. It was very tacky to work with and a challenge to mold. I may end up skipping any painting this year and redo it in the fall if I don’t like it. The trial and error that is my life!

These should be dry when I get home from work, and if so I will light sand with fine sandpaper and apply the first coat of Gluvit.

I ordered carpet and picked up a pressure treated 2x4 for the bunks. Carpet should be arriving today. The plan is to spray the carpet with gorilla glue spray and tack it to the two-by with stainless steal staples. The bunks were 34” but I’m gonna round up to 36”. That should give the trailer lights a little more protection.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Need to find tires and bearings for the trailer today while stuck on Teams calls.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and considerations!

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #31 on: Jun 28, 2023, 08:45 AM »
Myself…..I’d find a counter top shop and get some chunks of Corain or similar. Easy to work with and  You’ll never touch it again. Don’t care what you do with wood. It’ll go bad eventually.

I think I still have the sink cutout from the laminate countertops I put in years ago. May give that a shot but I think it’s much thicker than the rotten plywood. I will have to check that out when I get home

62 & Done

« Reply #32 on: Jun 28, 2023, 11:27 AM »
If you have a really good farm supply store (not tractor supply) nearby they will usually have every bearing known to man. Trailer tires by Carlisle seem to be the standard about town these days. They're dependable but I wish they would last a little longer.
It looks as though that 'oleboat has some stories it could tell.

On my boat I had some drill holes to fill as a result of moving things around. I used a stainless round head machine screw with a rubber washer in and out with a lock nut inside. A coating of silicone on all parts sealed it up good. Maybe overkill but it works. just food for thought in case you're not satisfied with the jb stuff .

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #33 on: Jun 28, 2023, 01:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #34 on: Jun 30, 2023, 06:43 AM »
Applied the Gluvit last night after work. When they say mix the sealer and catalyst for 3-4 minutes they were underestimating. Took me about 6 to hand stir it in. But you could see when the catalyst started to blend in.

I planned on measuring out the 5-1 ratio of epoxy and catalyst when it quickly became apparent that I was going to need the entire 1.8lb can. It was about the size of a pint. It was also apparent that I was only going to get one coat out of the can. Knowing this, I went heavy.

Almost too heavy. I got half way through and realized that I had used about 5/8ths of the Gluvit. I should have listened to the Princess’s pre-k teacher, when she preached about glue usage: “just a dot, not a lot”. Also, like many blog posts and videos suggested, the Gluvit ran down the boat.

If I could have a redo, I’d go lighter off the bat and double back with leftovers. And taken advantage of gravity in a few spots.

62 & Done

« Reply #35 on: Jun 30, 2023, 09:05 AM »
That ole boat is going to bring you some pleasure if she's not already   I can imagine how rewarding it must be to be bringing life back to her

62 & Done

« Reply #36 on: Jul 18, 2023, 02:28 PM »
How's it going there trapchecker?  Any painting happen yet ?

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #37 on: Jul 21, 2023, 08:18 PM »
Timing
How's it going there trapchecker?  Any painting happen yet ?

Funny. The epoxy barrier cost will be arriving Sunday. Will have that done Sunday afternoon. Once I knew that the boat wasn’t going to make the camping trip is eased on the project.

While I was out west (Darien Center) at a benefit golf scramble, the marine service called. Said that it’s not getting a spark still, with the work he’s put into it. Said probably best to move on. Offered me a 4 stroke he has available for sale. I was on the course and had a few pops in me, so I told him I’d follow up with him Monday. Not sure if I should pay him for the labor and parts and bring it home or just cut my ties with it.

Oh, and our group didn’t win but was -7

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: Jul 22, 2023, 08:33 AM »
Its very easy for anyone to say "I got a bunch of work into this" and then claim its a lost cause.  Fact of the matter is, for an experienced mechanic pulling it apart, re-ringing it and replacing the ignition system is a lot of time.  Id be asking what was done.  No spark is a pretty straight forward thing to walk diagnosis back to the issue.  Not a mystery box that takes unknown amounts of time to diag.  Im naturally suspicious but worked as a mechanic and my bs meter is jumping a bit.  Moreso with the convienent offer of a 4 stroke right there.  Keep in mind any small motor can be restored same way your hull is. 

Toyota quoted my ex 7g's to redo brake lines on a 03 land cruiser.  There mission was "total" the truck and sell her a new one.  After I emailed and called and discussed actual labor times from all data...they changed course and fixed her truck...seems to be a similar type of story.

Mac Attack

« Reply #39 on: Jul 22, 2023, 12:25 PM »
Yup!
It's called "Upselling".

Get more answers before you decide what to do.
Good luck.

62 & Done

« Reply #40 on: Jul 22, 2023, 02:28 PM »
Wish I could help. I'm not a motor guy at all and I too would be at the mercy of others. I do however believe that a "no spark issue" should be traceable.  Hope it works out for You. I'm just lucky that I have a very good mechanic who I have been a faithful customer of for nearly 40 years. He has always been good to me. Best of luck.

Mac Attack

« Reply #41 on: Jul 22, 2023, 03:35 PM »
Everything can be fixed.
Everything!

It’s all about $$$
Is it worth the bucks to fix it.

I raced 2st motocross bikes back in the 60’s and 70’s.  I have owned and run boats since the late 60’s.  I ran snowmobiles, chainsaws, string trimmers, you name it…..that were all 2 strokes.

And I worked on all of them.

That said, I feel that 2 strokes had their time and place.  And that time and place has passed.

Nobody builds a 2 stroke anymore.
The government has been writing laws regarding pollution, that makes them not a wise choice.

I will never own another 2 stroke motor again.

That being said, you need to balance the repair cost with all things involved.  Resale on them has fallen off the cliff.  How long will the repair last before it fails or another fault shows it’s ugly face.

If the motor has no sentimental value to you, replace it with a good 4 stroke.

You are putting a ton of work into this boat.  Put a reliable motor on it, or a pair or oars.

Good luck.

fishinator

« Reply #42 on: Jul 22, 2023, 04:50 PM »
I'd probably upgrade to a 4 stroke but would also be very leary of a boat "mechanic " that can't diagnose a no spark complaint. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #43 on: Jul 23, 2023, 09:11 AM »
I'd probably upgrade to a 4 stroke but would also be very leary of a boat "mechanic " that can't diagnose a no spark complaint.

Exactly.  The other thing is, its so easy to charge someone a couple hours of diag time and do nothing...

KingPerch

« Reply #44 on: Jul 23, 2023, 11:51 AM »
No spark and no fuel are the most common ones to diagnose…

Mac, FYI… 2 stroke dirt bikes are on a comeback. I, too, raced 2 strokes back in the day… I miss the smell of Klotz and Cam2 racing fuel!!!!😁
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.