FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trailer tires  (Read 3281 times)

62 & Done

trailer tires
« on: Sep 05, 2023, 01:30 PM »
What's every body's favorite brand?  I've been buying Carlisle for decades because they are readily available. They used to be good tires but not so any more. My present tires have  2 summers and possibly 3500 miles on them-they're junk gone worn out. I just think that's unacceptable and no warranty.  I'm using a 5.30 -12  load range C.   Always properly inflated and they just don't last.     Just wondering about other's opinions.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: trailer tires
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2023, 07:29 AM »
i got my tires on rims  cheaper at harbor frieght then i could just get the tire anywhere else  .....  i got two years so far but i got a light boat
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

mcully

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2023, 08:28 AM »
I had a terrible time listening to my marina and went through 2 sets of bias tires in three years.  I have a feeling he just uses most trailers for storage and not over the road like I do.
I went with trans eagle ST steel belted radials 205/75 R14 and upped to Load D instead of C and going on 1.5 years and very little tire wear. I have a 21' fiberglass   boat on dual axle aluminum venture trailer and run them with PSI around 60 pounds I think which is either max cold or close to max. I'd have to look at sidewall but know I'm at 60. Bought on ebay for $315 including shipping and think paid like $50 to get them mounted at local Mr. Tire. I tow to local lakes 20-40 miles one way a few times per week mix of highway and side roads.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2023, 08:41 AM »
i got my tires on rims  cheaper at harbor frieght then i could just get the tire anywhere else  .....  i got two years so far but i got a light boat

I did the same (but from Walmart) with my boat and my utility trailer.
I always get radials and also increase the load rating.
I suffered far too many flats years back on my snowmobile trailer.
Changing those on a 2 lane HWY at night with semi's whizzing by in single digit temps was less than fun.
Increasing the load rating to more belts eliminated that problem.
I believe the load rating is far more important than the tire brand.
However, I do love Michelins on my truck for ride and longevity - I used to put on mega miles.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2023, 09:17 AM »
my boat  is a  14 foot semi v  with a 3.5 horse sunfish  seeking fishing machine  ....if i had a full size bed on the truck i wouldn't need a trailer   ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

62 & Done

« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2023, 01:27 PM »
All good info guys...I do agree that the load rating (sidewall plys ) have a lot to do with longevity. My next set will be load range D for sure. I'm not experiencing any tire failure, they just wear out what I feel is too fast. I'm towing a 17' deep V hull with a 50 HP and a whole lot of accessories, so she does weigh a bit. So the hunt is on.  It just passed an inspection so I'll change them this fall before the moth balls come out.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2023, 05:15 PM »
I have no experience with this topic but posted about the oddly named tires I just bought in the general thread.  I thought about upping the load range abd decided against it.  Id rather the tires take the beating vs my trailer.  I may be wrong but I assume stiffer sidewalls means more stress on my axle, leaf springs ect. 

fishinator

« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2023, 06:40 PM »
I just buy cheap tires and rims from walmart.com.  When I lose one or one gets looking rough I just replace both and carry extra spares. I have one spare mounted to the trailer and carry another one in my van.

Pequod1

« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2023, 03:51 AM »
I also had a few flats with my old boat. The biggest problem with wear and flats was my use of bias ply tires. If you check the speed rating on bias plys you might find that they do not recommend going over 65.  Once I switched from bias to radial and also increased the load rating, I have had very little wear and, thank God, no flats.
I would not be surprised if I trailer a lot further than most people.  It’s over a 100 miles to either Erie or Oneida and around 50-70 for the fingerlakes.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2023, 07:00 AM »
I also had a few flats with my old boat. The biggest problem with wear and flats was my use of bias ply tires. If you check the speed rating on bias plys you might find that they do not recommend going over 65.  Once I switched from bias to radial and also increased the load rating, I have had very little wear and, thank God, no flats.
I would not be surprised if I trailer a lot further than most people.  It’s over a 100 miles to either Erie or Oneida and around 50-70 for the fingerlakes.

I'm with you.  Did 448 miles Wednesday and last weekend and the week before.  I usually will stop 2ish hours in.  Check bearings, check tires.  We will see how these radials from thailand hold up.  Lucky for me the last flat I had was in my driveway.  Sidewall had a hole in it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2023, 07:40 AM »
Radials tires shed heat more efficiently than bias ply tires.
The sidewalls flex more too, allowing you to go to a higher tire rating and still get a very decent ride.
Also, because of the flex, they grip the road better and keep the trailer positioned straighter behind you.
There is absolutely no reason today to use a bias ply tire unless it's on your wheelbarrow.
That statement is obviously not entirely true, as huge dump trucks and such still use them because of the stiffer sidewalls.
But for our use, I would never recommend anything other than a radial tire.

62 & Done

« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2023, 09:34 AM »
Been looking at several tire outlets and the choices for 5.30-12 tires are really limited. I have not seen ANY radial options at all. Does anyone know of an outlet?  I would surely give them a try. I really like to see some longevity in a product. Buying tires every 2 years just plain sucks in my opinion.

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2023, 10:26 AM »
Been looking at several tire outlets and the choices for 5.30-12 tires are really limited. I have not seen ANY radial options at all. Does anyone know of an outlet?  I would surely give them a try. I really like to see some longevity in a product. Buying tires every 2 years just plain sucks in my opinion.

Here is a Carlisle with an "R" in the model number, which typically indicates a radial tire.
However, I cannot confirm anywhere on line if it is a radial or bias.
I have heard good stuff on Carlisle tires.
This is a 6 ply tire too (Load Range C)
Capacity is 990 pounds @ 90psi

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CARLISLE-SPORT-TRAIL-LH-5-30R12-C-ALL-SEASON-TIRE/121001136?from=/search

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2023, 10:28 AM »
Why not buy a new tire and rim combo from Walmart.
Look for a 14" tire with a rim that matches your wheel lug arrangement and dimensions.
You might then be able to buy better tires that will last you longer.
Just be careful not to get a tire with a huge outer diameter difference from your existing otherwise you might run into clearance problems with your fenders.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2023, 11:10 AM »
My question for those smarter than me....what pressure are you running at?  I have 14" 6ply load range C tires.  Tire shop set the pressure I need to double check.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.