FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bad day at the Catt.  (Read 2579 times)

MILLERMANKT

Bad day at the Catt.
« on: Sep 10, 2023, 09:41 PM »

Someone didn't start their day off to well today.  I wasn't there,  a good friend sent me the picture.

filetandrelease

Re: Bad day at the Catt.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2023, 05:11 AM »

That truly sucks

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2023, 07:12 AM »
Sure does.  I know first hand unfortunately because ive done it....

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2023, 07:29 AM »
That truly sucks

Yup!
Usually happens due to operator error.
I saw this happen at the Catt more than once.
Matter of fact, I saw it at SBH and in Olcott too.
No shortage of people still too sleepy to launch a boat.

But yup, it truly sux.

CAPTJJ

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2023, 12:37 PM »
A women stopped to take pictures in front of a boat ramp, non-paved and primitive, on a pretty fast-moving river last week here in SE Alaska.... must forgotten to put it in park and it went straight in. Got washed downstream and filled with silt, car is totaled, and it wasn't very old.

Pequod1

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2023, 05:20 PM »
I talked to the guys at the ramp today.  It took over an hour to get the car out.  They had a hard time getting the trailer and boat off the hitch.  Said it was a mess

62 & Done

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2023, 05:51 PM »
Wow that REALLY sucks. I can't imagine how horrible that must feel...  Wonder if insurance will help with that.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2023, 07:39 PM »
Wow that REALLY sucks. I can't imagine how horrible that must feel...  Wonder if insurance will help with that.

It was humbling.  Part of me wonders if I really forgot to put it park after launching 4 million times.  Part of me wonders if the parking prawl in the trans broke (I wasnt a relgious ebrake user back then).  I got injured because I tried to jump in the truck rolling backwards and got pulled inder the door and then underwater.  It was a 2011 tahoe that I owned so only had liability.  No fines for going under, EPO said I was dealing with enough. 

Whenever I see a pic like that I have a flash back and a ton of empathy.  As long as they are ok the stuff is replaceable.  Launching the next few times will feel a bit more nerve racking.

62 & Done

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2023, 08:20 AM »
It was humbling.  Part of me wonders if I really forgot to put it park after launching 4 million times.  Part of me wonders if the parking prawl in the trans broke (I wasnt a relgious ebrake user back then).  I got injured because I tried to jump in the truck rolling backwards and got pulled inder the door and then underwater.  It was a 2011 tahoe that I owned so only had liability.  No fines for going under, EPO said I was dealing with enough. 

Whenever I see a pic like that I have a flash back and a ton of empathy.  As long as they are ok the stuff is replaceable.  Launching the next few times will feel a bit more nerve racking.
   Iowa , just glad there were no life threatening injuries other than mechanical  I'm sure in the future you will be double checking all your safety procedures  Be safe- good luck fishing

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2023, 12:07 PM »

It's easy to think the guy was a newbie, but it happened to you, so it can happen to any of us. Now I'm freaked out... might be physically chocking my wheels on boat ramps from now on!

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2023, 12:58 PM »
Sure does.  I know first hand unfortunately because ive done it....

I have never done it, but close.
VERY close.

I have dropped the boat off my trailer when pulling it out of the water.
Not fully, but enough to really scare the bajesus out of me.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2023, 08:17 PM »
It's easy to think the guy was a newbie, but it happened to you, so it can happen to any of us. Now I'm freaked out... might be physically chocking my wheels on boat ramps from now on!

Its not a bad idea Geoff.  I think the ebrake use is key.  Leaving it in just park puts a lot of pressure on the pawl.  I never asked the guy I gave the tahoe to if the trans was broken but I do know he restored it and sold it for decent money.

Mac I saw someone do that with a nice alumacraft and a roller trailer.  Instantly felt bad. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2023, 09:14 PM »
I have launched more boats than most.
I must admit that I don’t remember ever using the E-brake on a launch ramp.
Not the best practice for sure!!!

62 & Done

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2023, 12:41 PM »
Mac  I have always had a safety chain on my trailer winch tower which gets hooked to the boat before ever moving it. That idea of the boat sliding off has haunted me from day one.

I suppose if you're in a steep ramp, a wheel chock would be nothing to sneeze at.

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2023, 02:13 PM »
Mac  I have always had a safety chain on my trailer winch tower which gets hooked to the boat before ever moving it. That idea of the boat sliding off has haunted me from day one.

I suppose if you're in a steep ramp, a wheel chock would be nothing to sneeze at.

Me too - but that particular time, for whatever reason, I didn't attach it.
Pulling the boat out the winch strap broke.
Luckily, the trailer and boat were still a bit in the water and the boat simply slid backwards off the trailer and back into the water without any damage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.