FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vertical Jig Fishing  (Read 34195 times)

FWCanoeFisher

Re: Vertical Jig Fishing
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2013, 10:07 AM »
I'll be headed up to Clear Lake of Steuben County this Saturday in search of some PERCH.  I'm curious as to what tactic works this time of the year.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2013, 01:44 PM »
Did you use any of your new lures?  If so how did they work?

stinkybaits

« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2013, 02:19 PM »
No I left those at home!! Would of worked great missed having them :(

stinkybaits

« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2013, 02:41 PM »
We're using 1" tubes and tungsten ice jigs tipped with spike seems to be working well for us! Should work anywhere vertical fishing under a fish finder. We were vertical jig fishing musky Sunday no takers but some lookers!

Fishslayer81

« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Here is pic of the 3 largest from yesterday.

Gone Catchin!

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2013, 06:50 AM »
Those are some monster Perch! I'd love to get me some of those!

Jig_Head

« Reply #36 on: Nov 07, 2013, 12:33 AM »
Very nice

devo

« Reply #37 on: Nov 07, 2013, 08:38 AM »
People laugh when they see the weight on the line. It's 1/4 oz Water Gremlin split shot three foot above the 1/64oz jig head. Basically it's a down rigger!
 Great way to enjoy some soft water ice fishing!!

After reading about the cannonball technique I gave it a try and man, that deal catches fish! It gives you a good feel and is simple to boot. For different depths, I just changed splitshot.
 Thanks for the help! :afro:
dE\/-0

gilldan

« Reply #38 on: Nov 08, 2013, 12:51 PM »
That's what this site is all about, helping each other with new ideas.  I tried the idea also.  I need to make some adjustments for my use but it did work.  I think that I may all most have my fishing buddy talked into get a Vexilar.  After what he saw me catching and putting the hurt on him.

gilldan

« Reply #39 on: Nov 08, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Stinkybait, I saw that you had the new vexilar 28.  Did you like the new features and was it as easy to read as the 20?

stinkybaits

« Reply #40 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:39 PM »
On the Vexilar 28 Fishslayer and I are going out again Monday to do some more testing. We liked the features and for us it worked good on open water vexilar recommends it to be ice fishing only. Everything showed up good for us and the perch had no chance as far as laying on the bottom we picked them up with very clear signals. Now there's a dead zone according to the manual that filters out ice chips from augers. Goes down three foot deep no signal.... We're definitely going to be checking that out Monday and if that is in case true I wouldn't use it for ice fishing that's for sure. Crappies will suspend 2-3' below ice and the 28 would be blind to
it. Will let you know what happens!

stinkybaits

« Reply #41 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:53 PM »
That's what this site is all about, helping each other with new ideas.  I tried the idea also.  I need to make some adjustments for my use but it did work.  I think that I may all most have my fishing buddy talked into get a Vexilar.  After what he saw me catching and putting the hurt on him.

Exactly right! Adam Bricker is the guy that taught me how to do this and his custom vertical jigging rod made for this style of fishing is just awesome. Your hook sets and bites will increase due to the action of the blank and weight. The blank is made to fish with that size sinker and gives your jig the sane action you would receive from a noodle style rod ice fishing. The rod end just dumps when you get a bite then whack!! Fish on!!! You can use this method heat of he summer Walleyes smallies crappie gills everything that eludes most fishermen because they are too shallow.

coustom rods

« Reply #42 on: Nov 10, 2013, 08:24 AM »
 What time we leaving ?

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #43 on: Nov 11, 2013, 06:56 AM »
Went to Clear Lake this past Saturday.  Let's say that we (My Dad, my brother and I) looked like a bunch of crazy a-holes.  White caps all over the place.  The wind beat us down, chewed us up, and spit us out!  I managed one bite but had the line broken off (4 lb. test).  Who knows what that could have been???  I like to be optimistic and think I had a big walleye on.  The tugging was like a slow pumping then snap.  Anyhow, it's safe to say that I won't be doing that again.

stinkybaits

« Reply #44 on: Nov 11, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Fishslayer and I had a beautiful day for fishing! Rain snow wind was awesome! We managed to put together a mess of fish and the 28 three foot dead zone concern was put to rest it's not a problem at all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.