FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: all winter w/no minnows so gona try a tank in the basement this summer  (Read 9775 times)

Mac Attack

Mac
You said lifted minnow ban? certified?

Like I said, that’s all I’m going to say on that.

;)

charlys1954

Mac
You said lifted minnow ban? certified?

Don't know anything about it but searched NY minnow bait and found the following at this link.
http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/baitfish-regulations/

Certified baitfish

Certified baitfish are those that have been tested and found to be free of specified diseases. Use of certified baitfish helps prevent the spread of fish diseases. Certified baitfish purchased from a bait dealer can be transported overland in a motorized vehicle and used in any water body where it is legal to do so.

For baitfish to be considered certified, the seller must provide a receipt that contains:
•the seller’s name,
•date of sale,
•the species of fish, and
•the number of each species sold.
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

charlys1954

http://nytrappers.proboards.com/thread/27224/minnows-craw-fish

Evidently NY had/has some type of ban on minnow baits because of diseases minnows might carry. At this trappers forum link above one person said.

Oct 21, 2013 · Transporting minnows captured by yourself over the road is illegal in New York state. If a game warden checks you you are in trouble. Buying bait from bait …

gotagetm

yea, i thought still had to be certified and you couldnt catch your own ,but thought mac found something out saying different

Mac Attack

There's a corridor now.
You can catch your own, and transport.
But basically must be used in the same water.
We net them in the Niagara River.
So I can use them in any Great Lake, the Niagara River, and any of the Great Lakes bays or tribs.

But a buncha years back it was stupid here.
And they did hand out tickets.

gotagetm

o yea i knew of the niagara corridor thing ,just thought you meant state wide

charlys1954

So far doesn't look good for keeping minnows all next winter.

Set up the old aquarium put better bait treatment in, air pump w/filter, and dropped in 1/4# crappie minnows(baitshop guy said that's about 4 dozen). Been 4 days and lost 9(7 last 2 days). At that rate they won't last as long as I'm wanting next winter.

The temps steady at 55, thought it would be colder being its in the basement. Its city well water treated with chlorine not Chloramine so that can't be it. The tank was old with small leak so I used DAP window/door/siding 100% silicone. It cured for 3 days before putting in water. No where on the cartridge does it say mildew resistant, I read not to use mildew resistant cause the additives would kill the minnows.

I may have to try a big plastic tub if the aquarium doesn't work out. I like the aquarium cause a tub will be hard to see/pick the deads ones out.

fishinator

So far doesn't look good for keeping minnows all next winter.

Set up the old aquarium put better bait treatment in, air pump w/filter, and dropped in 1/4# crappie minnows(baitshop guy said that's about 4 dozen). Been 4 days and lost 9(7 last 2 days). At that rate they won't last as long as I'm wanting next winter.

The temps steady at 55, thought it would be colder being its in the basement. Its city well water treated with chlorine not Chloramine so that can't be it. The tank was old with small leak so I used DAP window/door/siding 100% silicone. It cured for 3 days before putting in water. No where on the cartridge does it say mildew resistant, I read not to use mildew resistant cause the additives would kill the minnows.

I may have to try a big plastic tub if the aquarium doesn't work out. I like the aquarium cause a tub will be hard to see/pick the deads ones out.
Chloramine is chlorine with ammonia. And chloramine stays in the water longer than chlorine. Neither are good for fish.

abishop

Well water is good, yes????

Mac Attack

Mac Attack

Chloramine is chlorine with ammonia. And chloramine stays in the water longer than chlorine. Neither are good for fish.

Correct.
You can bubble water overnight with an airstone and remove chlorine easily enough.
Chloramine is WAY tougher and darned near impossible.
Use a chloramine neutralizing agent.
You only need a few drops per gallon, so it isn't terribly expensive.
Call your water dept to find out what they use.
Or assume they use chloramine and treat it anyway.
Chloramine neutralizer works also on chlorine.

Or collect rainwater in a barrel.

Mac Attack

great setup guys but a little bigger than I need for a small amount on minnows. Thinking about using a 15 gl aquarium, tote tubs, or old ice chest. The ice chest may be the best since its insulated, a lid, and drain.

Mac, no idea just guessing but your 40gl tank looks like its got at least 20+ dozen in it. Going by that by the time winter rolls around I should have an idea how big a tank I need for 6 doz. I would think 15-20 gal should be big enough. Having minnows all winter is the main idea for doing this.

bigger is always better.
And really not that much more $
Easier to care for too.

You will always have die off.
Be sure to remove them ASAP.
they will decay and add more ammonia to thing quickly.

Salt the dead ones and toss into the freezer.  Or your garden (without salt)

Mac Attack

I always had to start with just a few fish at first. 

yup.
Gets the good bacteria going and growing
The cycle starts in just a few days to a week.
But we used to use 3-4 weeks of only a handful of fish before adding more fish.
Then we added and grew the amount slowly, weekly, to allow the bacteria to adjust and grow as the ammonia levels increased.

the bacteria first turns the ammonia to nitrites.
Then turns nitrites to nitrates.
Nitrates are safe for fishies.

taxid

There's a corridor now.
You can catch your own, and transport.
But basically must be used in the same water.
We net them in the Niagara River.
So I can use them in any Great Lake, the Niagara River, and any of the Great Lakes bays or tribs.

But a buncha years back it was stupid here.
And they did hand out tickets.

Oh heck it was even worse for fish farmers. They completely shut down the moving of fish for about year. Feds sat on their hands with no clue that fish farmers need to put food on the table. Some fish farms went out of business.

And the VHS thing turned out to be way overblown. Fish have been tested in all the Great Lakes ports and have tested positive with no clinical signs. Of course that means they have developed an immunity. The study also speculated the virus has been here 20 years before the fish kills. And many of the fish kills were predominantly rough fish like gobies etc. -- not game fish. But strangely the study done by, I believe Cornell, that showed the above, has disappeared off the Internet. At least I can't find it anymore. 

But we fish farmers still have to test for VHS and it's not cheap although the feds dropped it in the laps of the state agencies and washed their hands of it. I'd have to pay  2 grand for me to test my extra trout for a plethora of pathogens including VHS if I want to sell them to pond owners in the Lake Michigan basin. Many trout farms spend much more. This for a virus that has never been found in any fish hatchery and probably never will be. Meanwhile God knows what is coming in next via ballast water on the ships.

But here's the real kicker: The whole VHS fiasco was started by the president of the NAA (National Aquaculture Association) who was buddies with a big wig at APHIS. (They admitted it when I told them I would never join their org for that reason). The NAA guy was getting pressure from the southern bait producers that were allegedly concerned about the virus. So that he got his buddy at APHIS to get the ball rolling.

Guess who that helped and ran some northern bait dealers out of business?

And the above is not heresy. I was twice president of my state aquaculture association so I'm privy to a lot of information.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

yup.
Gets the good bacteria going and growing
The cycle starts in just a few days to a week.
But we used to use 3-4 weeks of only a handful of fish before adding more fish.
Then we added and grew the amount slowly, weekly, to allow the bacteria to adjust and grow as the ammonia levels increased.

the bacteria first turns the ammonia to nitrites.
Then turns nitrites to nitrates.
Nitrates are safe for fishies.

I prefer to use non sudsing ammonia to get my bacteria going.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.