FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Black River Walleyes  (Read 1238 times)

TomFish

Black River Walleyes
« on: Apr 19, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Hello,

I'm looking for any tips on walleye fishing. I have never targeted them before and would like to give it a try out of my kayak this year.  I'm thinking of fishing the mouth of the black river when season opens in May, using a combination of jigging and trolling. 

In early May, would I be better off targeting in the river itself? Or right at the mouth? Or farther out in the bay?  I'm thinking about launching in Dexter and fishing my way to the bay to take out at the marsh, though launching from the march itself is also an option.

My main tactic will probably be trolling with a bottom bouncer using either a worm harness, swimbaits, and/or lipless cranks.

Anybody have any tips or guidance? Doesn't have to be black river specific, just looking for any guidance for finding walleyes in earl/mid May.

Thanks!

mdm25549

Re: Black River Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2021, 02:39 PM »
I don’t have a ton of experience at this location but I do know expect plenty of boats and traffic and a kayak might be tough if there’s heavy current or a west wind. It gets real rough in that bay and into the river mouth.

TomFish

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2021, 03:16 PM »
I don’t have a ton of experience at this location but I do know expect plenty of boats and traffic and a kayak might be tough if there’s heavy current or a west wind. It gets real rough in that bay and into the river mouth.

Yeah, wind is my main concern in terms of feasibility, and will have to come down to conditions on any specific day.

If you know of any other walleye spots that would be more protected from the wind, I am open to suggestions  :D

mdm25549

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2021, 11:20 AM »
On Lake Ontario there’s not many spots that will be protected and produce walleye

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.