FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 3 lb test?  (Read 2413 times)

DANMAN

3 lb test?
« on: May 05, 2021, 07:51 PM »
Been stuck on shore trying to cast far distances....

2 lb test is great for distance but unforgiving in regard to tangles , snap offs , weed snags etc.

4 lb is great but i lose 5-7 yards with the cast

is there sucha thing as 3lb test.   that is not ice fishing mono?

claymore6

Re: 3 lb test?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 08:15 PM »

Berkley NanoFil Uni-Filament Fishing Line comes in 3 lb test.  Very good casting line. Amazon had it, but says unavailable from them at this time. Not sure if Bass Pro has it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 08:25 PM »
not knowing your rod  or reel  which  make  a  big  difference  in  casting  distance  i personally  would  stick  with the 4 lb  wax your  rod with car wax  including the  eyes  and  a  shot of reel  magic  to the  line  will gain you back that  5 to 7 yards ....also   you  may want a longer  rod and  a reel  with a larger spool
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 08:37 PM »
Also make sure your spool is full full.. less resistance as the line comes off the spool!!

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 10:30 PM »
2# braid.

It'll cast a mile.

And try and break it with your hands - wear some gloves.

Also, like others said - longer rod and larger diameter reel.
Use large pound backing if you don't want to load if the spool with all 2#

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 07:09 AM »
4lb Nanofil with a long (8ft. +) light action, fast tip rod will do what you need.  Mono backing on the large spool reel (not the place for a micro/UL reel), 75 yds of Nanofil to fill it.  When it starts to wear and you find yourself needing to trim it due to abrasion, pull it off, turn it around and use the other end.  2-3-4 lb mono or flouro leader depending on your needs.  I've had days where the jig hits the water and the Nanofil hovers  in the air like a spider web for 30 seconds.  If you can't reach what you want with Nanofil, you need to go wading.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 07:34 AM »
4lb Nanofil with a long (8ft. +) light action, fast tip rod will do what you need.  Mono backing on the large spool reel (not the place for a micro/UL reel), 75 yds of Nanofil to fill it.  When it starts to wear and you find yourself needing to trim it due to abrasion, pull it off, turn it around and use the other end.  2-3-4 lb mono or flouro leader depending on your needs.  I've had days where the jig hits the water and the Nanofil hovers  in the air like a spider web for 30 seconds.  If you can't reach what you want with Nanofil, you need to go wading.

All good stuff Greg.
But when Scotty and I fished perch together from the bank we used 10-12' rods to really get it launched out there at the Niagara Power Rez to go out past the rocks and not get hung up.
Also, I would not recommend a fast action, but more a moderate or even a slow action.
This way the rod "loads up" in a large arc on the back cast when you start coming forward.
This is a shock absorber type action that will allow you to really come forward fast on the cast without snapping the lighter line and watching your sinker and hooks go sailing unattached.
At least this is what Scott and I found to be the case.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 11:42 AM »
All good stuff Greg.
But when Scotty and I fished perch together from the bank we used 10-12' rods to really get it launched out there at the Niagara Power Rez to go out past the rocks and not get hung up.
Also, I would not recommend a fast action, but more a moderate or even a slow action.
This way the rod "loads up" in a large arc on the back cast when you start coming forward.
This is a shock absorber type action that will allow you to really come forward fast on the cast without snapping the lighter line and watching your sinker and hooks go sailing unattached.
At least this is what Scott and I found to be the case.
Thus the "8 ft. plus".... ;)  I use a slower action rod for slinging bobbers and sinker rigs but generally the lighter faster tip for jigs, spinners, etc.    The faster tip also works better for me when I get  to fish the Erie perch vertically.  I can see bites I never feel........

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Thus the "8 ft. plus".... ;)  I use a slower action rod for slinging bobbers and sinker rigs but generally the lighter faster tip for jigs, spinners, etc.    The faster tip also works better for me when I get  to fish the Erie perch vertically.  I can see bites I never feel........

yup - 101%
Especially that part about detecting the bite.
Scott and I would discuss this.
The slower action allowed us more distance without breaking off.
However, the faster action shows you those really light bites.

Another huge reason to braid are those light bites.

Party on Greg!

8)

BTW, the 11th it will be 5 years since he passed.
I really miss him.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 12:43 PM »
That’s all great info but the O.P. hasn’t said what kind of fishing he’s doing, what specie he’s going after or what does distance mean to him. 25 yards...50 yards.....more?

Just a thought,
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 02:10 PM »
That’s all great info but the O.P. hasn’t said what kind of fishing he’s doing, what specie he’s going after or what does distance mean to him. 25 yards...50 yards.....more?

Just a thought,
Rg
Asking for 3 lb test and worried about distance I'm gonna guess he ain't casting for stripers nor fishing a 10' wide rill for brookies.  Whatever he's after, if he can't reach and catch it with that rig, he needs a buddy with a boat.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Well, if I cant reach it, I put on the rocket bobber. My go to is an 8’6” (old) bass pro microlite IM-6 and 4 lb stren. I can toss that silly distances.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

kc

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Hey RG it is time you sold that old relic. I have a couple of bucks I could pass your way to take it off your hands. LOL
 I have one and I use it for steelhead. We call it the wimpy rod.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 06:03 PM »
If...and ...if it ever does. Finally fall apart, I’ll use the pieces to make a couple more rods.

I can’t even estimate the numbers of fish that rod has tossed into the breading and oil. Gotta be 30 years old. ...maybe more. Looks a bit war torn....as it should. But, it’s the rod I grabbed off the rack this morning without hesitation.

And...it landed that 3# + smallie on 4 lb test with ease.

Nothing like a fishing rod with years of experience. Such a good old friend. Wish it could talk. We’d have a helluva laugh.

Rg

Pequod1

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 05:43 AM »
I’m probably anal on this topic. I gave up on most store bought rods a few yrs ago and started making my own following the lead and advise of a good friend.  I agree with SM on his choices and buy rod blanks that have those actions. The neatest system for long casting light stuff is the use of the “microwave “ guide system. Those guides really do make a difference. My buddy and I have compared identical rod builds with microwaves vs fugi guides and the microwaves add an additional 10 yds. Look them up.  The best rod blanks for overall cost, strength and action seem to be made by North Fork Composites. These are lamiglass blanks.  St croix has very good rods but there guides and guide placement is meant for general fishing and not casting distance. Unfortunately, they no longer supply blanks retail.
Told you I was anal ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.