FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A Rare Visitor  (Read 3538 times)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
A Rare Visitor
« on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:30 PM »

I first saw this guy Sunday morning chasing mice in the field. I wondered if he'd stick around. I walked outside the shop today at about 3:45 and watched him land on the chimney.

I immediately grabbed my phone and started taking pictures. I slowly made my way about 200 feet up to the house to get this picture. I couldn't believe it. He's the first I've ever seen outside of a zoo or fair exhibit.

I went back to the shop and kept watching him. He stayed there until 4:37 when he flew down, grabbed a mouse in the corn field, and then flew to the roadside to eat it. Unbelievable!

The funny thing is, I had added wood to the stove under that chimney at 12:30. Lol, he had a nice warm perch!   ;D ;D ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

zwiggles

Re: A Rare Visitor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:41 PM »
Very cool!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:46 AM »
That's really cool Bill.
There was a picture in the paper of one floating on a small ice floe off the Lake Ontario shoreline. I guess they're making their way North.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Great picture. Thanks for sharing. It has been a long time since I saw my last one. Both that I saw were at night...h2l

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Very cool Bill...
Always fun to see them..
The amount of time you spend fishing i cant believe that you havent seen more...
See them often and its always a thrill...
Had one circling the lake on saturday...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:37 AM »
I know, Dom. I've seen lots of other owls and enjoy hootin' em up,  but this is my first Snowy.  ;D

Never seen a Squatch yet either, but they tell me they're around.    ;)
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:37 PM »
You never saw a Squach?   ;D Head up north to whitehall.. ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Lol.  I grew up with two of the foremost experts!

When "Finding Bigfoot" filmed one of their segments  they were a half mile as the crow flies from my house. Wished I'd known at the time, I'd have hooted or knocked back at them!

As many times as I've walked the rivers, hunted, fished, trapped, snowshoed, and slept outside here, I've never seen, heard, or smelled anything that made me think, "Wow, it's getting pretty squatchy here! "

And, as much as I've fished and duck hunted on Champlain, I still haven't seen Champ.

But, I never saw a snowy owl until 3 days ago, either! Lol lol lol ;D

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2018, 06:42 AM »
and No one has gotten a trail cam picture. How smart can Bigfoot be....h2l

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:21 AM »
We have been calling and tree knocking for Squach for 30 years  on our spring trip...   No responce yet..   ::)
Except one morning an old guy in a canoe stopped by and asked if people were yelling last night at the bear thats been around?      8) 8) 8)
On the bigfoot show that BoBo dosn't look good..   Must have cancer...    :-\

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Sounds like a bit too much of that tequila Dom. Always made me a bit crazy too ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

O

« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:36 PM »
That's really cool Bill.
There was a picture in the paper of one floating on a small ice floe off the Lake Ontario shoreline. I guess they're making their way North.

Rg

I saw one sitting on the ice at Oneida Lake last week.  Must have been sitting and waiting for us to toss our bait or leave a fish on the ice.  Very beautiful .  Interesting article on Syracuse.com earlier this month.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2018/01/snowy_owls_from_the_arctic_tundra_are_back_again_in_upstate_ny_this_winter.html#incart_river_index

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:25 AM »
Syracuse is lucky to have an actual "Outdoor Writer" like Dave. We haven't had one writing for the Rochester area rags in decades.

Rg

filetandrelease

« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2018, 05:14 AM »

Great pic of the owl , see a few at the Syracuse airport during the winter
 ,the young guys get pushed out by older birds
   In the spring they will fly back home to stake out there territory that’s what a member of the autobahn society  told me

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I saw him again a couple of days ago. Crows have been coming back by the hundreds. Three of them found him and were trying to move him out. It was quite an air show. He gave a good fight, but eventually let them have that airspace and perched in a tree about a quarter mile away. I hate crows. My motto is, "Dead crows don't eat corn"!  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.