FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ticks and Lyme disease  (Read 4762 times)

adipose

ticks and Lyme disease
« on: Jun 03, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Just wanted to remind everyone to be safe out there this yr. with Lyme disease on the rise in many parts of the continent due to global warming etc.Lyme is spreading like wildfire across the USA and is spreading in Canada also.Who else would be most susceptible to Lyme but us outdoors folk.Lyme is treatable and cureable if caught early but left undiagnosed it can be a killer!litterally.Also check your pets!A quick search on the internet will yield much info on ticks and awareness.Again we outdoors folk are the most susceptible.I personally know many with late lyme and I can tell you its a real nightmare left untreated.

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
Re: ticks and Lyme disease
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2006, 12:45 PM »

Great points adipose .... I'll sticky this on top for a week so others may be informed.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..       

fishinfergy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2006, 04:24 PM »
Me, dad and the dog have already got it!  It sucks, always check yourself.

Ferg
Go B's

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2006, 09:59 PM »
I got a tick bite a few weeks ago and the darn bite area is still red and itches every time it gets warm.
It's not Lyme's disease thank goodness, but still very annoying. :P

Sorry to hear that fishinfergy. :(

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2006, 11:21 PM »
dog gets shots, and im careful, hopefully careful enough

Fishing is life

MIRC!

bigchev98

• Get the Net!!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2006, 03:23 AM »
i had a tick on me about 2 weeks ago, but luckily no Lyme disease. :)

jrelaxin

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2006, 07:03 AM »
those things give me the willeye's...after seeing a companion pull on off I swear I itch for a week.............they are bad in Me this yr
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

adipose

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2006, 02:53 PM »
Great points adipose .... I'll sticky this on top for a week so others may be informed.  ;)

how about a month as the first month of spring/summer is the risk period.....cant hurt can it

adipose

« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2006, 03:00 PM »
be aware that a person may be bitten by a tick and not show any symtoms for weeks months or even years.The EM rash that comes with lyme may not even show on 50% of the lyme patients.Most docs know very little about lyme disease and at this time there is much controversy about lyme all over the world.

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:29 PM »
I dont know about where anybody else lives but here in central PA the ticks are really bad.  I have picked 6 off of me this year already.  None of them have got to dig into me yet though.  I think the reason for the ticks being so bad this year is that we did not have a really cold winter. 

If you go outdoors in PA always check yourself and your pets and kids. 

Be careful..... 

ladyfish

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2006, 09:39 AM »
One of my girls had Lyme disease.  Once you are diagnosed with it, and are treated, you are never cured of it.  It goes into a remission state, such as some cancers do.  Because many doctors know very little about this, sometimes you have to ask to be tested for it.  As previously stated, you don't always get the "red bullseye" and the sooner you can have it detected the better.  My girl was in the middle stages before we could get an answer as to what she had.  She was having gastromical pains and symtoms.  We had to ask to have her tested, after we read an article in a hunting/fishing magazine.      Migratory birds also carry the Lyme ticks with them from the south.     .....You don't have to be an outdoor person either to get Lyme.......any beef or venison(that is infected with Lyme) that is not cooked to at least 165 deg internal temperature can give you Lyme.
   Another person we know had Lyme in the later stages and had to do the IV treatment for Lyme.  He is constantly having flare ups from the Lyme.

adipose

« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2006, 07:21 PM »
never heard of the beef lyme thingy you are talkng about.Ive been to lots of websites on lyme and ive never read that.are you sure your not mixed up with samonella or another food poisening that a person contracts from eating raw or uncooked meaT?

fishinboy

• Team MI
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2006, 10:59 PM »
thanks for the heads up, man.  I hate ticks.   >:(
Ryan

ladyfish

« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2006, 07:21 AM »
never heard of the beef lyme thingy you are talkng about.Ive been to lots of websites on lyme and ive never read that.are you sure your not mixed up with samonella or another food poisening that a person contracts from eating raw or uncooked meaT?
No, I am not talking about samonella or other food poisoning.  I will find the paper after I get back home today.  As I said my girl had it and we found a lot of info about it.  Some of which came from the Lyme Foundation.  This info about the undercooked meat may have came from them.

ladyfish

« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2006, 07:27 AM »
I looked for the Lyme and meat info last night.  I couldn't find it.  My girl made an extensive report on it(Lyme disease) for a school project.  Apparently she took it with her, she no longer lives at home.  Everyone has their own beliefs as to the meat connection and Lyme. You believe what you want and I will believe what I want and know about Lyme.  It's not a pleasant experience and my family has been through it.  She came down with Lyme about 10 years ago and even now, she cannot donate blood.  She tried and was turned down because she told them that she had Lyme when she was younger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.