FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ticks and Lyme disease  (Read 4763 times)

Brad Standke

Re: ticks and Lyme disease
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2006, 05:26 PM »
The wood ticks are now caring a new disease...Human Anaplasmosis......It is worse then lyme disease.... Here is the story......http://wcco.com/local/local_story_153092939.html

Bartman44

« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Ticks suck. We do the tick check every time we get home.

Also heard that global warming is enhancing the growth of poison ivy, actually causing the poison ivy oils to become more severe. Now all I need is killer bees here in NY and I'll be dead as I'm quite allergic to bees and poison ivy.

That's why ice fishing is cool ;)

adipose

« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2006, 09:26 PM »
yeah but if it keeps gettin warmer the ice might also be gone

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 08, 2006, 10:25 PM »
I almost feel like it is a matter of time, the two places I mainly shore fish are INFESTED with ticks...I lost count of how many I pulled off myself last year, I am up to 5 already this year, I had three on me in one freakin' day. :-\

arthur

« Reply #19 on: Jun 10, 2006, 08:44 PM »
Hey Lance! Long time no see! Glad to find you.

Are you out in your waders? Usually those do a good job keeping them off.

This thread is scaring me. :o

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #20 on: Jun 11, 2006, 12:24 PM »
Hey Lance! Long time no see! Glad to find you.

Are you out in your waders? Usually those do a good job keeping them off.

This thread is scaring me. :o

Glad you found the site!!!  You'll find this place is much MUCH more laid back then that 'other' place, and much more suited to multi-species fisherman like us.  Seems like a lot of guys from the other site have made it over here...that is a very good thing :)

and no, I get the ticks when not wearing my waders (sometimes its just too hot for 'em - ticks be damned ;D)

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #21 on: Jun 12, 2006, 02:24 PM »
I got it last year and its certainly not pleasent. Felt so weak I could barely stand up for more than a few minutes without feeling like I'd pass out. I never really thought anything of it till I got it. Now I always take a few minutes to check myself after being in the woods.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

boatnik13

« Reply #22 on: Jun 20, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Jiggerman ! the deal on Pennsylvania I think is this.> The tics have been headed north for about 12 years now on a steddy increase. I was originally from the shore points (L.I. N.Y.)  and was a custom to tics every weekend. You could pull a dozen off the dog and a few on your self everytime you walked the marshes. Lived tic free in Harrisburg  from 1967- 80 but I noticed in the Southern counties like "YORK" that they had them . Pinchot lake area  was full of them and so was Redman. 1990 we started getting them North of the burg and today I got them in behind my house . The more  deer I invite the more the tics move in. Intresting thow > I noticed how they are 4 season. Even in the snow I found them on low brush but very slow moving. Today your going to get them if you hunt or fish by land in South central PA. I do see to kinds ( dog tic & deer tic)

adipose

« Reply #23 on: Jun 23, 2006, 11:53 PM »
Lyme disease is on the rise in Canada and in parts where lyme never was heard of before.A researcher thinks he has the answer as to how the ticks are getting farther north.Apparently the tick is hopping a ride north via migrating birds in the springtime.Makes sense to me

PerchandPans

« Reply #24 on: Jun 24, 2006, 11:33 PM »
I'm heading to the pharmacy on monday morning to pick up my round of anti-biotics. :(  I didn't check after leaving our mountain cabin,got me on the ride home .

jjf

« Reply #25 on: Jul 02, 2006, 06:56 AM »
Like a few here I have had Lyme before  :(  I  made a lucky guess that it wasn't the flu and it may have been Lyme. Unfortunately I was right. :-\

Question: Does anyone use a bug/insect repellent that is effective for keeping these things off your body ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.