FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Alaska 22  (Read 3072 times)

kc

Alaska 22
« on: Sep 20, 2022, 10:51 AM »
So my wife and I recently took a road trip to Seattle. Then we took a 7 day cruise to Alaska. Plan was to fish for silvers in Juneau. But because of a mudslide 3 years ago it cut the water supply off to the hatchery. Thus they lost the year class that would have returned this year. No fish at all. When talking with a local, he got a text from his buddy telling him the fishing in that area was going to be closed in a couple of days so the hatchery could get some fish for the eggs.
 Next stop was Sitka. But I could not find any info about fishing there, so I left my gear on the ship. We walked up by the hatchery and there were thousands of pinks there. So I figured I would beat feet back to the ship and get my gear. It is a 30 minute trip from the ship to town. I get back to the ship and another ship had come into port. There were at least 2000 people waiting to board the buses to get to town. I knew at that point there was no way I could get to town and back before our ship left.
 Next stop Ketchikan. I knew if there were fish, I knew where to go. There were fish and lots of them.
 I will post a few pics in a bit.

taxid

Re: Alaska 22
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2022, 04:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Look forward to your reports.

I've had frustration dreams about seeing fish in the water but something wasn't right like fishing reel was messed up, rod was broken, couldn't reach the fish, or whatever!  :rotflol: Sounds like you had a frustration in real life!

Rule # 1: Never ever be without access to you fishing tackle! You never know when you need it!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SeanP

• Formally known as SPN
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2022, 05:07 PM »
Looking forward to your report/stories.  I have a travel 8Wt for that reason......

Hope it all works out!!

SeanP

kc

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2022, 06:02 PM »

The gentleman in the pic is 84 and battling stage 4 cancer. He stopped down and was asking questions. He saw all the fish and said he was going back to town and buy his license and rent a pole. I told him that he could buy a one license online and I would let him use my pole. He was tickled to death. I would catch one and then I would let him catch one. It was the best 15.00 dollars he could have spent that day.
 I hooked  fish on my first 5 casts before I landed one. They may look small, but they are fresh out of the ocean and full of fight. 

reeleyz

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2022, 07:25 PM »
Awesome KC!

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2022, 08:26 PM »
Super cool KC!!
Nice job findin em

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2022, 08:30 PM »
What was your gear KC.
rod, reel, line, leader, lure, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Mac

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2022, 04:41 AM »
Awesome Ken..👍👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

iceman260

« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2022, 05:57 AM »
Awesome Kc !!

jperch

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2022, 06:00 AM »
Great pictures and an even better story KC.  Kudos.

Johnnh

« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2022, 07:42 AM »
KC
Outstanding story. You certainly gave that older gent a great day.
It also shows your kindness to others.
Johnnh

Bartman44

« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2022, 10:04 AM »
How wonderful you were able to share Alaska with your wife.   :thumbup_smilie:

And nice gesture sharing your equipment, good memory there.

How was the actual cruise to get there if you don't mind me asking.

Bart

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2022, 08:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Wonderful you also shared!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

kc

« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2022, 08:14 AM »
Mac, I used a 4pc pack rod (7ft), Pflueger president reel with 8lb line and pink flies with small split shot for weight.
The cruise was good (this was our 5th cruise to Alaska). We saw very little wildlife this time as compared to other trips.
 The downside, we both got covid after the cruise. Made it a long drive back to NY. 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2022, 08:32 AM »
Oh that’s not good..   Hope both of you have a full recovery..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.