FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mississinewa  (Read 3529 times)

rivereddy

Re: Mississinewa
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2020, 07:22 PM »
I have eaten small drum - less than 12" or so and they were decent table fare.  As others have said
one must consider the quality of the water where they were taken.  Most rivers in the midwest carry
some kind of pollutant load, which would steer me away from larger fish.  One also needs to remove
the "red meat"  stripe from the fillet.  This tissue is rich in myoglobin, a blood pigment, which gives
a gamey taste to the meat.

BTW... They can get huge

fisah on,

rivereddy

Spooled85

« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2020, 08:29 PM »
Yeah I also remove the red meat off all my fish that have it. Thanks for the feed back .... RiverEddy we have caught them on the big lake close to 20 lbs and man do that put on a fight and they always hit so hard they could break a rod !!

abishop

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2020, 07:45 AM »
Yeah I also remove the red meat off all my fish that have it. Thanks for the feed back .... RiverEddy we have caught them on the big lake close to 20 lbs and man do that put on a fight and they always hit so hard they could break a rod !!
They have the toughest mouth I noticed also.

rivereddy

« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2020, 09:22 AM »
I couldn't resist doing a little poking around on the in-ter-net and learned the following.The Indiana state record is 30# even
and was set in 1963.  It was caught out of White River down in Martin County. It is one of the oldest records.  The all tackle
world record is 54# 8 oz.  It also holds a unique position of being the fish with the greatest north/south distribution.  Its found
from from southern Mexico to northern Canada in rivers that drain into Hudson Bay.

Back in the day, young fishermen would save the "ear stones" or otoliths from heads of drum and carry them for good luck.  A
few years back on Kentucky Lake we came upon a huge specimen washed up on shore. ( At first sighting we thought it might have
been a dead deer)  We paddled over with the intent of harvesting the biggest ear stones ever.  As it had been dead for some time
and was fairly dried out the smell wasn't too bad, but with that first cut the smell helped me decide I didn't want those stones anyway......

fish on.

rivereddy

Spooled85

« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing ! Pretty interesting. I can see how they get so big . They eat about anything and everything in all water columns . The ones I was catching I had a good size crank on and they had it swallowed ! You couldn't even see the bill of it

kevs

« Reply #20 on: Jul 25, 2020, 10:11 PM »
 Over the years I've had several people tell me the best way to fix drums/sheephead is to remove the intestines, scale them, place them on bed of salt and cover with salt/spices. Bake at 375-400 degrees for 45-60 minutes, remove salt/spices and eat. I've never tried but just to pass on info relayed to me from Mexicans and Burmese I have fished with. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.