FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sebago togue freezer  (Read 2389 times)

stguy

Sebago togue freezer
« on: Sep 11, 2019, 04:32 AM »
Last winter a second Sebago focus group was put together to discuss the current issues with the lake, some of the members are from the original group, and some new members.

One of the issues that was discussed was the number of fish being released back into the lake by anglers that just don't want to deal with them, through the creel survey's and other information gathered, IF&W estimates that over 70% of the togue that are caught, are released back in the lake alive.

One suggestion by the group was to establish some drop off points around the lake to deposit unwanted fish, last week a chest freezer was donated by a member of the Falmouth rod and gun club and is now set up at Jordan's store on Rt 114 as a trial. If it turns out to be successful, the group will look at acquiring a few more freezers and scattering them around the lake.

The fish will not be wasted, they will be collected by a wildlife refuge league and used to feed wild animals that are in captivity and at this point will take every fish they can get.

Obviously Jordan's store is out of the way for a lot of folks, but if this proves to be successful, the group will do it's best to come up with a few more freezers, in fact if anyone on here has a chest freezer they want to donate, let me know and I'll come get it.

fishlessman

Re: Sebago togue freezer
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:30 AM »
i like the idea,  the marinas would be a great place to set them up as well

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:52 AM »
I hope this works out, along with putting a sign at every launch encouraging people to keep all of them.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

stguy

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2019, 09:19 AM »
I hope this works out, along with putting a sign at every launch encouraging people to keep all of them.

Communication is the key to making this work, one of the reasons I posted it here.

fishlessman

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2019, 09:31 AM »
the wildlife rescue league needs to put some literature on that chest freezer of why they need those fish and a donation bucket for freezer purchases around the lake

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2019, 10:23 AM »
awesome! now we just need one at the station, state park, and jordan bay and the whole lake would be about covered!

stguy

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2019, 12:07 PM »
awesome! now we just need one at the station, state park, and jordan bay and the whole lake would be about covered!

That's ultimate goal but it's a small group with limited resources and finding a secure place to put a freezer full of fish isn't an easy task, just imagine the scenarios that could play out with a big box of dead fish

:sick: :sick:

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2019, 12:23 PM »
That's ultimate goal but it's a small group with limited resources and finding a secure place to put a freezer full of fish isn't an easy task, just imagine the scenarios that could play out with a big box of dead fish

:sick: :sick:

yep, i understand

is Maine DIFW involved/aware? wonder if they would pitch in/help out with the effort? seems like their goals would be aligned with this effort (to harvest lots of togue & to help wildlife in captivity, sounds like it would be a win/win for them?)

stguy

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2019, 12:48 PM »
yep, i understand

is Maine DIFW involved/aware? wonder if they would pitch in/help out with the effort? seems like their goals would be aligned with this effort (to harvest lots of togue & to help wildlife in captivity, sounds like it would be a win/win for them?)

The group was put together by IF&W with the goal of thinning the herd, they are well aware of the efforts the group is making, like most other government agencies though, their hands are pretty well tied when it comes to getting this kind of stuff done.

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2019, 12:51 PM »
Neat idea. Do any of the fish go to rehabbing raptors or anything like that? You may be able to get better participation if some of the “have a hearts” know it’s going to also rehab animals to get them back in the wild?

I hope this takes off. It’s neat to see how you all care so much for the fishery. If more people felt/acted like you all it would definitely help.

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2019, 01:33 PM »
I will definitely contribute all my legal togue caught to this box

seamonkey84

« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2019, 04:53 PM »
Now if they just lift the slot completely, maybe just say unlimited but only one over 28” if they still want to keep bigger ones in there
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

stguy

« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2019, 05:04 PM »
Now if they just lift the slot completely, maybe just say unlimited but only one over 28” if they still want to keep bigger ones in there

1 over 26 for 2020, but it doesn't do any good if people are chucking the small ones back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.