FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: floats from shore  (Read 6645 times)

sdbigeye

floats from shore
« on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:47 PM »
how do you know where to set the stop on the line when fishing from shore and you don't know the depth where you cast the bait? one of the reasons i don't use them.

boondox

Re: floats from shore
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2016, 05:26 AM »
pencil style slip boobers will lay on there side when the weight or jig head is on the bottom of the lake meaning your fishing deeper then the water is like if bobber is set for 4 foot and the water is only 3 foot deep ... that is one way to tell with a bobber.... you adjust the bobber down the line towards the hook  so it will be less deep is how I do it......  like crappie I fish close to the bottom same with eyes with in 6 inches to a foot...

jeffmac85

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2016, 02:21 PM »
I do a lot of float fishing for steelhead, a good rule of thumb is if you see your bobber ticking or stopping mid drift a lot you are dragging bottom.  Adjust a couple inches shallower, and drift again.  Keep in mind though that with most fish you want your offering running very close to the bottom, so unfortunately although it's a pain, the guys who snag bottom the most also usually catch the most fish.  If you can pinpoint that perfect depth near the bottom without dragging, your catch ratios will increase significantly

sdbigeye

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:46 PM »
so if I'm fishing in a slow moving current or there's a light to moderate breeze(aka walleye chop) i'll have to keep the float moving to different water depth by retrieving and recasting or just by reeling it in or letting line out?

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2016, 11:43 PM »
so if I'm fishing in a slow moving current or there's a light to moderate breeze(aka walleye chop) i'll have to keep the float moving to different water depth by retrieving and recasting or just by reeling it in or letting line out?

you got to keep adjusting the float... unless you can plant it in position like in this picture? and use the float as a indicator of when the fish strikes?

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:27 AM »
I posted a link the other day in this thread for a small depthfinder from Cabelas.
For whatever reason, the mods here decided to remove it.

Anyway, my thought was that you can use one of these inexpensive devices to learn the depth before you started fishing.

Here's the link again, but there are more (and also less expensive) units out there.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/marine-electronics/sonars-sonar-gps-combos|/pc/104793480/c/104707080/sc/104588280/deeper-smart-portable-fishfinder/2034838.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsonars-sonar-gps-combos%2F_%2FN-1118469%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104588280%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Use a clip on ice fishing "sounder" .  Clip it to your jig/hook/weight and cast it.  Adjust your float till the sounder pulls it just under the surface and remove the sounder.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

jeffmac85

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2016, 01:45 PM »
Good idea with the depth checker.  Also, if I was fishing in a current I'd fish it similar to how we do for steelhead.  Cast at a 45° upstream into the current and allow the flow to move your float past you down stream to about 45°, retrieve and repeat.   You may encounter snags using this method but its inevitable.  Once you do it enough and you are able to keep your bait running in front of your float you will see what it looks like when you run into a snag and a lot of times can mend your drift before it snags up.  As far as fishing in a Walleye chop, I can't attest to that much as I haven't float fished many rivers for eyes (with the exception of the Maumee but that was more like bottom bouncing) but I can't see the wave action creating that much of a detriment unless you are fishing in over 2 footers and at that point you have more to watch than a float lol.  In a typical 8-12" Walleye chop I'd say all that is going to do is jig your float up and down a bit adding a jigging/swimming motion to your bait.  I've found this to be really effective jigging for steelhead under a float.  We often fish riffles and choppy sections of rivers and streams with marabou and rabbit fur jigs and do well, and I've seen guys get eyes jigging with floats for steel in Oswego

sdbigeye

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:20 PM »
lot of good info here guys. I will have to see if they will work with my style of fishing from shore. some of the places has sandy bottom, some have mud, my fav spot has lots of current and rocks.

sdbigeye

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:30 PM »
attack, i've been looking at the t pod. the only problem i see is Gasp!! i don't have or use a smart phone :o! have two kids on the plan and let them use the data plan. but one of my other sons that fishes with me is thinking about one. maybe next fall when the good bite is on i'll try a float just to see if it works. wonder if it works with countdown rapalas?

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2016, 12:34 AM »

Could try a casting bubble or a adjust a bubble with a count down rappala...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.