FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good Deed For The Day  (Read 1701 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Good Deed For The Day
« on: Sep 03, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Well, I gave up my day for my neighbor and friend. He’s had some pretty bad dental issues and went in today to have all his teeth pulled in preparation for dental implants. I collected him at 6:15 this morning. He was just about out cold at his kitchen table from the meds that gave him to take. He was really out of it on the trip to the dentist’s office. By the time we got there they had to bring out a chair to wheel him in.

I picked him up at noon. He was a mess. Ice packs on his face and blood everywhere. I went through 15 minutes of instruction from the staff and got him home. I was told not to leave him at all for the next 6-7 hours. He was recovering from the sedation. He lives alone.

I spent the afternoon tending to his needs ( I’ll skip the descriptions). Around 5 another friend stopped in to stay with him while I made dinner for my Bride.

By 6:00 he was much more alert and moving around. Even got him to take some chicken soup. He pretty much dismissed me at that point , but i told him I’d be back to check on him around 8:00.

In the mean time , My Bride watched his beloved parrot JoJo. I have to take him in tomorrow morning for a follow up around 9:00.it was grueling for me. Can’t imagine what it was like for him.

Hope it works out the way he wants it to.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Re: Good Deed For The Day
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2020, 06:27 PM »
Well, I gave up my day for my neighbor and friend. He’s had some pretty bad dental issues and went in today to have all his teeth pulled in preparation for dental implants. I collected him at 6:15 this morning. He was just about out cold at his kitchen table from the meds that gave him to take. He was really out of it on the trip to the dentist’s office. By the time we got there they had to bring out a chair to wheel him in.

I picked him up at noon. He was a mess. Ice packs on his face and blood everywhere. I went through 15 minutes of instruction from the staff and got him home. I was told not to leave him at all for the next 6-7 hours. He was recovering from the sedation. He lives alone.

I spent the afternoon tending to his needs ( I’ll skip the descriptions). Around 5 another friend stopped in to stay with him while I made dinner for my Bride.

By 6:00 he was much more alert and moving around. Even got him to take some chicken soup. He pretty much dismissed me at that point , but i told him I’d be back to check on him around 8:00.

In the mean time , My Bride watched his beloved parrot JoJo. I have to take him in tomorrow morning for a follow up around 9:00.it was grueling for me. Can’t imagine what it was like for him.

Hope it works out the way he wants it to.

Rg
You're a good man and a fine friend.  That kind of stuff isn't easy on so many levels, yet so necessary at some point for us all.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2020, 06:59 PM »
Just left him and he’s doing way better than I expected. The Surgeon called while I was there and addressed some of his concerns. What a hard thing to go through.

I’ll get him some coffee in the morning and we’ll be on our way. I figure good Karma is hard to come by.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2020, 07:58 PM »
He's blessed to have a friend/neighbor like you.  You are a thoughtful sole. I wish him well.

I've had more than my share of dental issues when I was young and have had plenty of teeth pulled. Lucky for me I came across another kind person who is an excellent endodontist who performed 11 root canals on me many moons ago and  to this day, I've still have  got them all.

What's even better is that while I was in the chair in my early 20s,  we found out that we had something in common - fishing. Out of those appointments we grew a long lasting friendship, sharing many epic fishing adventures together. Some of my best memories are sitting in his Adirondack camp, tying flies late at night, in preparation for the fishing day ahead.   

Weird how life works sometimes.  Never would have met the guy if I didn't have bad teeth.           

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2020, 04:37 AM »
That’s a great story Bart.
My friend would do the same for me without hesitation. He’s been a good neighbor for quite a while.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2020, 06:25 AM »
Thats how all of humanity should be guys...  Just great......     :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :flag: :flag: :flag:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2020, 06:53 AM »
Thats how all of humanity should be guys...  Just great......     :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :flag: :flag: :flag:
Wouldn't that be awesome  !!!

iceman260

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2020, 07:11 AM »
Good job Rg your friend is lucky to have you :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2020, 12:12 PM »

I like to believe that most people are willing to help a friend or neighbor Dom. It’s the minority who could care less. Maybe thats a bit “Pollyanna” but where I live its mostly true. And it’s certainly true around this fishing community.

Took him in for his follow up appointment this morning as he still wasn’t cleared to drive. They adjusted his temporary dentures and he’s a lot more comfortable. Good to see him as feisty as he normally is.

Having a campfire tonight. Invited some of the neighbors. Haven’t had any kind of gathering in quite some time. Won’t be many of us. Maybe 6, and we’ll be as distant as we need to be. I’ll tell you this though, I ain’t sipping good bourbon through any mask!

Have a safe holiday weekend everyone!

Rg

bogtrotter

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Good on you!  Hopefully you'll have a friend who'll step up to the plate and take as good care of you in your hour of need some day.

oatkasut

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2020, 02:07 PM »
I've always known you to be generous, Bob!

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2020, 02:14 PM »

I’ll tell you this though, I ain’t sipping good bourbon through any mask!

Darn right!
Cut a hole for your straw Bob.

Good job helping your friend!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.