FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Oneida Lake Recommendations  (Read 2256 times)

kipawacrazy

Oneida Lake Recommendations
« on: Jan 17, 2022, 02:28 PM »
Well, with the ongoing uncertainty of crossing the boarder and fishing in Canada, again, we are looking to stay on Oneida lake for a couple weeks this summer.  I've only fished Oneida when I was much younger and right now I would have no idea where to start.  What I'm looking for are recommendations on what area of the lake to rent a cottage so that I'll be in a good area to fish walleye and perch without having to travel halfway across the lake. I'm not looking for hot spots, gps coordinates, or any body's secrets, just an honest recommendation what area of the lake to stay that will give my family a chance to catch some fish and have fun.
Thanks in advance!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Oneida Lake Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03:11 PM »
Welcome to the site.
Sorry I can’t help with a place to stay. :(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

KingPerch

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:52 PM »
Check out Apps Landing in Cleveland, Anglers Bay, 3Pines lodging and cabins in North Bay, on the water, north shore on Oneida lake. Some good fishing in that area. Good folks at all locations. Good luck!!😎
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:56 PM »
Well, with the ongoing uncertainty of crossing the boarder and fishing in Canada, again, we are looking to stay on Oneida lake for a couple weeks this summer.  I've only fished Oneida when I was much younger and right now I would have no idea where to start.  What I'm looking for are recommendations on what area of the lake to rent a cottage so that I'll be in a good area to fish walleye and perch without having to travel halfway across the lake. I'm not looking for hot spots, gps coordinates, or any body's secrets, just an honest recommendation what area of the lake to stay that will give my family a chance to catch some fish and have fun.
Thanks in advance!

Have you tried VRBO or AirBnb? I've rented cottages on lakes in different states this way. Go to the sites and type in Oneida Lake, New York with prospective dates to see what's available. I've been very happy with my cottage stays that were competitive with hotel rates with lots of advantages over hotels. Don't wait too long as they book up fast.

The border's not actually closed is it? I think testing and/or vaccination will get you in won't it?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

kipawacrazy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  So it sounds like the north shore is a good place to look, I'll have to check out the suggestions and also see what there is in VRBO in that area.  The boarder isn't closed, but who knows in 7 months when I'm supposed to cross so I'm thinking of doing a early trip on Oneida.  That way if I do get the chance to go north I'll have 2 great fishing vacations instead of 1.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  So it sounds like the north shore is a good place to look, I'll have to check out the suggestions and also see what there is in VRBO in that area.  The boarder isn't closed, but who knows in 7 months when I'm supposed to cross so I'm thinking of doing a early trip on Oneida.  That way if I do get the chance to go north I'll have 2 great fishing vacations instead of 1.

Looking at your screenname, I'm assuming you like to visit Lake Kipawa, up in Quebec.
If so, what's your place of choice.
My sons and I have been to Tagart Bay Lodge a few times in the past.

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:48 PM »
Check out Apps Landing in Cleveland, Anglers Bay, 3Pines lodging and cabins in North Bay, on the water, north shore on Oneida lake. Some good fishing in that area. Good folks at all locations. Good luck!!😎
X2

kipawacrazy

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2022, 05:01 AM »
Mac Attack - You hit the nail on the head!  I've never stayed at Taggard Bay but that's where we launch out of.  We go to 3 Season's Camp, been to Smith Bay and also 2 Moons but 3 Season's is our first choice.  Probably been there almost 30 times, first time was in 1975 as a kid.  I don't know when you last went there but since they put the slot limit in place the fishing has never been better, and as you know the scenery is incredible. I'm just praying that we can get back there this year, there may be great fishing closer to home, but being able to catch limits with not another boat in site is priceless.

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:26 AM »
Mac Attack - You hit the nail on the head!  I've never stayed at Taggard Bay but that's where we launch out of.  We go to 3 Season's Camp, been to Smith Bay and also 2 Moons but 3 Season's is our first choice.  Probably been there almost 30 times, first time was in 1975 as a kid.  I don't know when you last went there but since they put the slot limit in place the fishing has never been better, and as you know the scenery is incredible. I'm just praying that we can get back there this year, there may be great fishing closer to home, but being able to catch limits with not another boat in site is priceless.

Super.

I've been there since the slot.
Last time was 5 yrs back.
The lake is beautiful.

kipawacrazy

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2022, 12:33 PM »
Since they started the slot we are catching more like this, which of course go back in to breed and be caught again.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2022, 02:18 PM »
Since they started the slot we are catching more like this, which of course go back in to breed and be caught again.

Nice walleye. We anglers can be our worst enemy. By removing the largest fish we potentially remove the genes that come with the fastest growing and longest lived of the species. 

Case in point: Very hard to believe, but I have a book published in 1920 on a large lake in Indiana where a survey was done around 1900. (Maxinkuckee Lake). The book alleges bluegills were harvested by anglers up to 14 inches around 1900. I've never even seen a 13 inch bluegill (Lepomis macrochris) in modern times from that lake, or any lake in the state even with ample food supplies. I feed bluegills commercial feed in one of my ponds and I'm hard pressed to get them up to 11 inches.

Perhaps the genes for the fish that reached that size were removed? It can't be it's just harvesting them before they can reach that length because in a lake that size there would be some 14 inch fish, which there are not. (1864 acres)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2022, 02:33 PM »
if your looking  for a  reasonable cabin  or  bunk  house  i would  suggest  altmar outfitters  its a  little drive  but  shane   knows  oneida  lake  well and  his advice would  get you on walleyes
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

sawdust

« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2022, 08:16 AM »
So Kip do you trust your drag or back wind?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.