FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: boat fixing  (Read 4002 times)

dlj01260

boat fixing
« on: Mar 25, 2012, 05:02 PM »
I have an old 16' mirrocraft boat that my father gave me a few years ago that is finished up with a floor all put in it with a livewell and such. i use it for everything including duck hunting. so it gets used ALOT! i noticed that the front floor peice is starting to get a bit spongy under the carpet and i am going to attempt to take the old carpet off and replace the old wood with some new stuff. any ideas on how to go about this or what you guys would recommend for proper mateirials?

trackerg

Re: boat fixing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2012, 02:01 PM »
typically they use marine treated plywood, I believe. I had to replace the back deck on my Tracker Pro deep V-17. I checked the price of treated plywood and wasnt too impressed, so I got regular plywood and applied several coats of driveway sealer (with sand grit in it for non slip finish. so far its working good

jopes

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2012, 04:20 PM »
the biggest difference between marine plywood and regular sheet is the glues they use the glue them together.  Also on the marine version there is no air pockets between sheets. 

rizz1626

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2012, 02:07 PM »
I have a 1985 starcraft 18' Mariner center console  and am also in the process of replacing my floor.  I am going to use marine grade plywood and coat it with a fiberglass epoxy resin (top, bottom, and sides). I agree the price for marine grade is steep ($75 a sheet in my area NY) but hopfully I wont have to replace it again. Go to IBOATS.com and search about replacing your floors alot of good info on that web site. Good Luck Riz

Lundin-loading

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Exterior grade plywood has the same glue as marine, but your correct marine grade has no voids, I just did mine, I used exterior grade 1/2" ply with a thick coat of polyester resin. Cheaper than epoxy and locally available. Take care with your edges since there will likely be voids. I also had to replace one entire stringer, repair another stringer, and re-glass all three stringers. Be sure to check everything out now that your in there.
Beauty

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.