FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Back-Up Cam  (Read 4172 times)

papadarv

Back-Up Cam
« on: Apr 19, 2015, 08:12 PM »
I have an older pick-up where a back-up camera aimed at the receiver hitch would be desirable. Problem is they are “spendy”, so I came up with an idea that approaches Free. (I like Free).
What you need!
* Apple Ipad2 or 4g cell phone, android, apple i.e. your cell phone. You need 4g iPhone for display speed. (I own the Ipad2)
* An old cell phone with camera, I found a Galaxy Samsung 3g version for free. Got if from a grocery store which was a collection point for old phones. Faster is better. It helps if you have a couple of old flip phone you can trade for the cell phone at the grocery store.
* An old wireless router. In 2013 I replaced my 12 year old Linksys wireless router with a new model which had the higher speed and latest technology (wife got a new computer). If you don’t have a router, you can get one from Walmart for about $25.00. Make sure the power supply is 12 volt, most of them are 12volt
* 6”x8” piece of tin
* 2 strong magnets (Walmart or Home Depot)

Whatever cell phone you get for free, you need to re-set the phone to factory setting. Google it. Than download an app called webofcam. If it’s android, use google play store, if iPhone go to the apple app store.

Also download webofcam to your iPad or 4g Cell phone same as you do for the free phone.

Build a cell phone holding frame out of the Tin. Attach the 2 magnets to the back with double stick tape.

Clip the cell phone holder to the back of your pick-up using the magnets to hold it in place.

Full back of truck view

Connect the wireless router to 12volt lighter outlet. I cut off the A/C transformer and connected the wires to a lighter plug. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT BYPASS THE FUSE in the connector

Turn on the free phone, make sure the WiFi is linked to the router in the truck, than start the webofcam app. Select the camera option for the phone

Connect your iPad or cell phone Wifi to the same router, start the webofcam and select Viewer for the iPad/cell phone.
The viewer should show the camera shot of the phone attached to the back of you pick-up. I set my iPad behind the steering wheel.

Ready to hook up

Word of caution, there is about a ˝ second delay viewing the receiver/hitch so back up very slowly.
This setup will work on any vehicle I also use it to hook my boat to Motor home or buddies 5th Wheel. Has a range of about 150 feet.

If you need additional assistance, send me a message or email.

Mac Attack

Re: Back-Up Cam
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2015, 09:27 PM »
great job!

papadarv

Re: Back-Up Cam
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:50 AM »
Added back-up-cam feature, using app.webofcam.com on my computer
When on fishing/other trip I put one of my phone cameras in my house front window. Set the camera so the back camera faces my Driveway, selfie camera faces inside my home. Plug the charge in so the phone battery does not die.
I take my laptop computer along on the trip, find a WIFI and connect to app.webofcam.com and enter the IP address of the Phone camera. Most resorts/motels have WIFI.
The compute will show what the camera at home sees. The app allows switching between cameras for outside/inside views and turn on sound from the camera if you want to hear what's going on in your house.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.