FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Swim Bait Advice  (Read 7687 times)

stanollie

Swim Bait Advice
« on: Apr 08, 2010, 02:29 PM »
Has anybody tried these "new" swim baits? I'm refering to ones like the Sebile Magic Swimmer. I always thought that Rapalas were expensive. If I were to buy one, which brand, model , color and size would you start with? My primary target is the smallmouth here in Maine.
Thanks

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Swim Bait Advice
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2010, 07:17 AM »
I keep standing in front of the locked showcase that houses these baits at my local shop, but I cant take the plunge yet. I watched a video recently showing them in action and I was impressed, but the price is steep.

there are many videos on youtube.. here is one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKKm4HMHLog

nonamers

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2010, 11:25 AM »
like fish hooks if you buy them someone else will raise there prices. a lot of good hooks and lures to be had at better prices. they will also sell you gasoline for more if you are willing to pay. 

pipes18079

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2010, 07:58 PM »
I have some but dont through them much however soft swimbaits i through a lot of mainly the skinny dipper from Reaction Inovations know that is a swim bait got confidence in and dont care if i lose them

jibbs

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2010, 06:41 PM »
i have a few sebiles and i really don't like them.....they feel really light even though mine are 3/4 ounce.....its hard to feel the action and you would think it would be opposite with the body action........i think a soft plastic swimbait would be your best bet.....a shadalicious or something along those lines with a wieghted hook.......
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

One More Cast

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Has anybody tried these "new" swim baits? I'm refering to ones like the Sebile Magic Swimmer. I always thought that Rapalas were expensive. If I were to buy one, which brand, model , color and size would you start with? My primary target is the smallmouth here in Maine.
Thanks

I have not tried those types, but I have had some recent luck with the Keitech Swing Impact FAT this year (bought @ TWH).  I bought the "Gold Flash Minnow", "Black/Blue", & "Male Perch" both in the 3.8" size, using a 1/4ounce jig head w/ a 3/0 hook (bought @ Wal-Mart). 

I really have confidence in them already, as they do not roll like some of the other hollow belly baits, nor does your line twist, which is a HUGE plus!  The tail action on these baits are phenomenal, as you can basically stop reeling and it will still swim w/ great tail action, and with little to no retrieve from the angler.  This is a huge benefit if your trying to get them deep and slow roll them across deep bottom structure. 

Give them a try... you will not be disappointed. 

Good Luck!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Keitech_Swing_Impact_FAT/descpage-KSIF.html
~One More Cast~

BOULDERDASH

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2010, 09:08 AM »
i would think crayfish and tube type jigs is what you should be using for smallies and any thing in perch colors for the spawning season that will go down to the right depth . those swim baits are expensive its cheaper to put lobsters on your hook ;D ;D

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Lunker city salt shakers have the best action I have seen. They give great action even if moved very slowly. The company makes jigs heads for them too. I have tried a bunch and I am not impressed with most of them.
shut up and fish

slipperybob

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Well I finally took the plunge in a swimbait.  Hard one of course, to see how it would work.  I got a 4" Tru-Tungsten Swimbait in bass pattern and it's okay so far.  Kind of hard to cast it.  While it weighs about 1/2 oz.  It only casts as far as about a 3/16 oz lure.  So casting distance is roughly about 25 yrds.  Just far enough for close range bass.  I think the hooks on this thing is a tad bit small.   So I will plan on upgsizing the hooks but first to see how stock hooks works out for hook up ratio.  I've got some 5" on order.  Plan to see if they will casts out any further and better.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2010, 03:37 AM »
try some lighter line. fire line should help you  ;D

slipperybob

« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2010, 04:23 AM »
I was using 10# Fireline.  ;D

1/4 oz. Popper easily outdistance it, getting 35+ yards.  Then again weight transfer lures always casts further.

BBK

« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2010, 07:18 AM »
Oh yeah, I use the BBZ-1 Shad all the time. Great lure for big bass and northerns.

slipperybob

« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2010, 11:57 AM »
I was thinking the Spro BBZ 1 4" Shad, but I wanted to also target white bass.   So hence I went with the Tru-Tungsten 4" shad which is really about 3 3/4" and a smaller profile.

I know I'll definitely get some of these Spro BBZ 1 micro 2.5 inch shads.
That's if they do actually come out.

slipperybob

« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2010, 02:22 PM »
I've bought some of the 5" Tru-Tungsten Swimbaits now.  Gonna have to give them a try.

BBK

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Anybody throw SOFT swimbaits? I normally throw hard, but I recently started making my own soft ones and have been doing pretty well with them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.