FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: gear 2011  (Read 10892 times)

BBK

Re: gear 2011
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2011, 01:25 PM »
You guys seem to be jumping on that guy pretty hard, but he's right. If the lake is pressured you should try fishing offshore humps and drop-offs. They are often overlooked and can hold tons of fish. Everybody and their brother can throw a spinnerbait or plastic into a laydown.. but not many can fish an offshore hump, that is where the money fish are.

jibbs

« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:48 AM »
i wouldn't say he is right...there are more big bass taken in shallow water then in deeper water...however, deeper water will produce more consistent size overall...i am a bass fisherman just like you BBK and i deep water crank...i slow roll 1 ounce colorado bladed spinnerbaits...i drop shot in deep water...however, i will always go back to the wood and the junk...just because someone fired a spinnerbait at a log doesn't mean they did it correctly...as you know boat angle is huge..following the next boat with a square bill or a jig can make all the difference...my point is...the kid is an idiot..i am not going to sit here and show pictures and say i did this and that...however, bass fishing is not easy...i don't want to stir the pot, because this site blows hard enough, but i don't need to put something up on gear and then be heckled about my fishing techniques....good luck on the circuit
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

BBK

« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2011, 08:34 AM »
i wouldn't say he is right...there are more big bass taken in shallow water then in deeper water...however, deeper water will produce more consistent size overall...

You got any proof of that?

jibbs

« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2011, 10:39 AM »
none...
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

volume4130

« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:05 AM »

I read this in Field and Stream a year or 2 ago.  This guy has caught over 800 10 pound bass:

"Pursuing big bass became a passion of mine. The first thing I did was hire a guide who guaranteed a 10-pound bass, because I knew I could learn from him. I also called an outdoors columnist and asked him about every bass over 15 pounds that he ever reported on and about the guys who caught them. Then I spoke with those anglers and found out every circumstance around their catches. The biggest thing those fish had in common was that they were all caught in 6 feet or less of water. That blew my mind. Now I knew where to fish, and where not to fish. "

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/bass-fishing/where-fish-bass/2009/06/how-i-fish-doug-hannon

volume4130

« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:08 AM »
Jibbs, getting back to your original topic...

Just picked up a Pflueger Presidente/BPS Carbonlite 6'8" spinning combo...can't wait to break it in!

jibbs

« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2011, 05:32 PM »
I read this in Field and Stream a year or 2 ago.  This guy has caught over 800 10 pound bass:

"Pursuing big bass became a passion of mine. The first thing I did was hire a guide who guaranteed a 10-pound bass, because I knew I could learn from him. I also called an outdoors columnist and asked him about every bass over 15 pounds that he ever reported on and about the guys who caught them. Then I spoke with those anglers and found out every circumstance around their catches. The biggest thing those fish had in common was that they were all caught in 6 feet or less of water. That blew my mind. Now I knew where to fish, and where not to fish. "

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/bass-fishing/where-fish-bass/2009/06/how-i-fish-doug-hannon
i read the same thing, but i dont want to make this a arguing match...

jibbs

« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Jibbs, getting back to your original topic...

Just picked up a Pflueger Presidente/BPS Carbonlite 6'8" spinning combo...can't wait to break it in!
i broke my rods in last week at a powerplant in new hampshire...biggest was 5lbs 8 ounces

volume4130

« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2011, 08:22 PM »
There is definitely enough BS on these sites...so I hear ya...back to fishing and gear!

5-8 is a solid bass...judging from your pictures, you guys always seem to find the big ones!  I used to fish under a power plant in NY and always caught good ones in that area...

quantumreel

« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2011, 05:11 AM »
I fish from shore but finally go a boat. i shelle ouyt 100 bucks for a dwiai d shock combo in 7 foot with 8 lb berkley xt. i bought some stuff for trout. i bought egg weights and swivels for a trrout setup(pm if u want to know more). and becasue i cant seem to find zoom original flukes in baby bass color. i bought fin s in baby bass which is conveniant. but zooms are better. i bought the wrong baiot instead of buying the zoom u tail red shad worm i bought a version of the u tail worm only they are like 10 inch. they r hot in the summer. i guess maybe ill catch bigger fish. i bought some football head jigs and sum yum creatures that i rig in a weird way. i gotez some swivls and high quality ones. next i gotta go buy saltwater stuff and thats bout it. maybe flkyy gear if needed

slipperybob

« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2011, 05:39 AM »
You guys seem to be jumping on that guy pretty hard, but he's right. If the lake is pressured you should try fishing offshore humps and drop-offs. They are often overlooked and can hold tons of fish. Everybody and their brother can throw a spinnerbait or plastic into a laydown.. but not many can fish an offshore hump, that is where the money fish are.

I don't know, the guy just dissed bass fishing and said crappies and walleyes are the challenge.  Meaning what in a gear thread?  Forget about your bass gear and pick up your crappie and walleye gear?
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I'm going to avoid being pulled into the discussion on where the biggest fish lay, but I will get in on the new gear thread. I started this season off my selling off my collection of hodge podge rods I tried over the past few years, I sold off my carrot stix, my st. croix mojo bass rod, and my Skeet reese rods. I used the cash to buy up more Shimano crucials and a Shimano cumara.

After testing new rods each season for the past 5 years, I always ended back up with a crucial in hand, so now thats all I own.

I also bought up the new line of frogs by Live Target, 2 each of the hard and soft bodied. I also grabbed 4 spools of the Suffic 832

slipperybob

« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Although I didn't plan on it, I did pick up an Avid 7' M crankbait rod.  I put my Curado 50E reel on it, still with 10# Fireline microice.  I did a few test casts in the backyard and I'm liking the feel of it.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

jibbs

« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I'm going to avoid being pulled into the discussion on where the biggest fish lay, but I will get in on the new gear thread. I started this season off my selling off my collection of hodge podge rods I tried over the past few years, I sold off my carrot stix, my st. croix mojo bass rod, and my Skeet reese rods. I used the cash to buy up more Shimano crucials and a Shimano cumara.

After testing new rods each season for the past 5 years, I always ended back up with a crucial in hand, so now thats all I own.

I also bought up the new line of frogs by Live Target, 2 each of the hard and soft bodied. I also grabbed 4 spools of the Suffic 832
live target makes a mean lure..i bought two live target jerkbaits in a smelt pattern for smallies

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Yeah, I'm loving the Live Target, check out this link scroll to the bottom to see the live target lures I have picked up this off season

http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=41440.0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.