FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Myfishfinder Bass Fishing Tips Thread  (Read 17261 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
The Myfishfinder Bass Fishing Tips Thread
« on: Apr 09, 2011, 03:09 PM »
One of the things that I used to like about magazines, specifically Field and Stream, was a feature called "Taps Tips".  Basically, they were tips about any outdoors related thing for the magazine, but they were always short one or two liners.  It made for easy reading, easy learning, and I always made sure that I'd check back to that part of the magazine first each month my issue arrived.  So, I got to thinking, wouldn't that be fun here, so how about if we start a thread full of tips on bass fishing, short ones, one or two lines and build something special that other fishing websites don't have.  Please don't write a book, keep them simple, that will keep people reading them.  They can be for largemouth, smallmouth, spotted bass or their close relatives.  If the tip is specific for one, please state so, otherwise we'll assume the tip applies to all bass species.

Thanks and have fun.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: The Myfishfinder Bass Fishing Tips Thread
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2011, 03:10 PM »
OK, I'll start with my favorite:

When fishing plastic worms or jigs for bass, be aware of all of your senses but most of all be a line watcher.  You may or may not feel a bite, but if you get into the habit of watching your line you will see bites that you don't feel.

jibbs

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2011, 03:42 PM »
lift drop technique with lipless crankbaits can be deadly during early ice out
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2011, 04:08 PM »
For spinnerbaits, replace the swivel on the arm with a snap swivel.  Carry different size, shape and color blades, and also a selection of skirts to give you more variety to offer bass on spinnerbait bites, and reduce the number of baits you have to carry.  Change blades and colors to meet what the bass want.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2011, 05:23 PM »
When fishing search baits (buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and even topwater), when you miss a strike follow up with a soft plastic bait (worm, grub, swimbait, or tube) and most of the time that bass will hit.  It may not hit the hard bait twice, but will follow most of the time hitting the soft plastic bait.  If fishing with a buddy, one person could follow with the soft plastic to get that fish, just be a good fishing buddy and return the favor.

BoutTime

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Using the plastic rectangular packaging a crankbait has when you buy it as a "nest" in each tackle box compartment helps cut down on lure rash.

Sometimes you have to cut it to fit in the space, but it seems to help keep my crankbaits looking newer longer.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2011, 01:32 PM »
Excellent tips guys!  Keep 'em coming!

Tired of fish tearing up your soft plastic baits?  Carry a bottle of crazy glue along to glue them back together.  You can also use it on tube jigs to keep rattles from falling out.  Just don't get it on your fingers and then your lure, LOL.

volume4130

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:27 AM »
lift drop technique with lipless crankbaits can be deadly during early ice out

Do you prefer different colors different times of year?  Last year I had early luck with crayfish/reddish/orange/brownish colored ones, then later on, a more chrome or gold colored lipless seemed to be a better producer.

jibbs

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:34 AM »
Do you prefer different colors different times of year?  Last year I had early luck with crayfish/reddish/orange/brownish colored ones, then later on, a more chrome or gold colored lipless seemed to be a better producer.

stained water i would go with some bold colors...firetiger, rayburn red, perch colored work best for us on this particular day..clear water i use chartruese and blue, chrome and black, white and purple, gold and black
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:38 PM »
When shore fishing a lake or canal, where walking to find fish is the way to go, stay mobile and keep your hands free by using a tackle system to carry your tackle so you have easy access without having to set anything on the ground.  Vests used in fly fishing are great, as are fanny packs.  You can also carry a spare rod by attaching a key large clip to the D ring on the back neck of the vest.  Having two rigged rods allows you to easily and quickly offer the bass a second lure presentation.  Hands free fishing enables mobility and more casts.

Notice the rod clipped to my vest, and my spinnerbait wallet on my belt (one rod with a spinnerbait, the other with the follow up worm):

volume4130

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2011, 10:03 PM »
When fishing from a kayak, make sure to bring the proper oar parts (ie...male and female ends, not two of the same)

Went out in my kayak today and made me think about a long on the water I had last year, with half a paddle...

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:53 PM »
When bass fishing for bass or any other fish species, don't be afraid to try big baits.
The old adage is big baits = big fish is true. ;)

Always keep an open mind when it comes to fishing what worked one day may not work the next.

Keep experimenting with lure types, designs, acton, speed and color until you find what they want.

Try new lures, sometimes the fish will respond aggressively to new lures that they have not seen yet.
 <>{  ()*}))))>{

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

fishngolf

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Very true about trying different lures.   Pike fishing last weekend here in north central Nebraska, tried casting the shorelines and shallow weeds. Water temp was just 46 but air temp was only 42 and breezy. Started out throwing a 3" Five of Diamonds spoon. Ended up catching several nice Largemouth Bass on it. Hadn't really thought about it being a bass lure.

When bass fishing for bass or any other fish species, don't be afraid to try big baits.
The old adage is big baits = big fish is true. ;)

Always keep an open mind when it comes to fishing what worked one day may not work the next.

Keep experimenting with lure types, designs, acton, speed and color until you find what they want.

Try new lures, sometimes the fish will respond aggressively to new lures that they have not seen yet.
 <>{  ()*}))))>{

WW

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Good stuff.  Speaking of big baits...

During pre-spawn, prey are generally larger because most species have yet to spawn or have fry hatching yet, and last years hatch are much larger during early spring...so use larger lures.  One of my favorites is a white tandem spinnerbait with a large size 7 willowleaf blade, and a white ring worm trailer.  This gives the spinnerbait a much larger profile.  In addition, big prey to a big female largemouth adds needed calories to prepare for the spawn while minimizing energy at the same time.

BoutTime

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2011, 11:03 PM »
A real chew and screw!  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.