FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Myfishfinder Bass Fishing Tips Thread  (Read 17264 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: The Myfishfinder Bass Fishing Tips Thread
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2011, 08:00 AM »
This is from Chris Gorsuch's blog (from Backwoods Angler TV) http://chrisgsblog.backwoodsanglertv.com/.  I was using the rubber bands that are used for braces to wacky rig my Senkos and they tend to break sometimes, and sometimes they tear the baits, but found this on his blog which seems to work much better.  He recommends using plastic tubing from your hardware store, more:

One simple and inexpensive way to resolve this issue is as close as the nearest hardware store. This solution requires no special applicator to set the ring in place and the cost is minimal. It is also clear, flexible and invisible as compared to the black or colored rubber ring. It happens to also be much more durable too. Clear Vinyl PVC tubing with an inside diameter of 5/16 is the perfect size for stick worms . At approximately 20-25 cents per foot, 1/8" rings can be cut for about 2-3 cents each.

Run these rings over your plastic stick bait (e.g. Senko style) and use an octopus hook under the ring between the soft plastic and the ring.  Do this and your Senkos or other soft plastic stick baits or worms will last much longer, more fish per bait.

BoutTime

« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Hmmmm.... Im trying to think of a tip that isnt blatently obvious to everybody.

When spooling new line, plop the new spool in some warmer-that-warm water for a minute or two. This will "erase" the memory of the new spool. It will spool on and stay spooled on a tad better on your reel.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Hmmmm.... Im trying to think of a tip that isnt blatently obvious to everybody.

Don't worry Bout, there are lot's of people that join here that are new to fishing or new to bass fishing.  It's all good!  Also, sometimes even the old timers forget tips that have been around awhile (either from doing other things for years, or in my case, old age ;D).

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #18 on: Apr 14, 2011, 07:40 PM »
For plastic crayfish imitations and something a bit different, pull off the molded antennae and replace them with spinnerbait skirt material or even flashabou.  You can use a large curved sewing needle to run the material through the plastic bait through the head...enter from one side of the head toward the tail a bit and then turn the needle out the other side of the head.  Also, you can add legs to plastic worms this way...

BoutTime

« Reply #19 on: Apr 14, 2011, 07:59 PM »
For plastic crayfish imitations and something a bit different, pull off the molded antennae and replace them with spinnerbait skirt material or even flashabou.  You can use a large curved sewing needle to run the material through the plastic bait through the head...enter from one side of the head toward the tail a bit and then turn the needle out the other side of the head.  Also, you can add legs to plastic worms this way...

Aha! I forgot I was going to try this on my grubs when ice went out!

Thanks for the reminder FB.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2011, 12:23 PM »
When fishing jerkbaits during the early spring, use long pauses between jerks, painfully long, up to 10 seconds or longer.  Often they will hit when the lure is suspending there or moving ever so slightly, and often they will strike on the next movement.  If the water is cold, give them time to get there.  As the water warms, try different cadences of your twitches and pauses...start aggressive and if that doesn't work start slowing things down before giving up on the bait.  Let the fish tell you what they want.

jibbs

« Reply #21 on: Apr 18, 2011, 04:34 PM »
When fishing jerkbaits during the early spring, use long pauses between jerks, painfully long, up to 10 seconds or longer.  Often they will hit when the lure is suspending there or moving ever so slightly, and often they will strike on the next movement.  If the water is cold, give them time to get there.  As the water warms, try different cadences of your twitches and pauses...start aggressive and if that doesn't work start slowing things down before giving up on the bait.  Let the fish tell you what they want.
good tip...i also burn them right after they hit the water...i like to stop it half way to the boat and let it suspend...
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2011, 06:36 PM »
good tip...i also burn them right after they hit the water...i like to stop it half way to the boat and let it suspend...

There's this lake near my house that has huge tiger muskies, and I've hooked three of them, all on that burn and stop!  I was bass fishing and each time was around this time of year, and each time those danged muskies took my lure!  One time I was fighting it and it was under the boat shakin' it's head, and my rattlin' rogue was down it's gullet sideways...I was using Fireline.  I turned to my buddy and told him there's no way that I'm landing that musky and it wasn't 2 seconds later my line went limp.  It cut through the line like butter on that last head shake.  Anyway, sorry to digress and break my own rules...but yeah that burn and stop can be really hot.  Nice tip addition.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2011, 06:42 PM »
OK, here's an oldy but goody, one that newbie bass anglers can use:  When fishing topwater floating plugs of any kind, after you cast and the lure hits the water, let it sit until all the rings disappear...sometimes even longer.  Bass will rise great depths to check it out and sometimes will hammer it the very second you move the bait.  So, after letting it sit, give it a slight twitch, you might get that massive hit.  If not, retrieve away.  Again, try stops and starts too, different pace of movement, etc. until you get strikes.  Floating minnows also are hot fished like this (Rapala Original Floating Minnows for example).

Dispy

« Reply #24 on: Apr 18, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Especially true for smallmouth with a gold Bomber Long A's..only repeat the twitch pattern and ripple disappearing act three times before reeling in and casting again
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

slipperybob

« Reply #25 on: Apr 19, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Classic Jointed Lure mods, lose the tail section and replaced with soft plastic.

I actually like this one for walleyes too.

I like this one for catching pikes too, but I haven't fully tested out the full wire mod on the size J11.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

slipperybob

« Reply #26 on: Apr 19, 2011, 01:40 PM »
Classic inline spinners with worm hooks.

I like to do this back in the days, but haven't been using these things since Terminator came up with their own version.  These old ones have been recently given an Owner soft glow bead at where the splitring joings the hook to the lure to help keep the hook standing out.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Clam Sr.

« Reply #27 on: Apr 20, 2011, 01:42 PM »
When casting with a spinning outfit, always close the bail by hand. That first handle crank will put a loop, or a loose loop in your line sometimes resulting in a nasty birds nest down the line. I've been doing this for years, and can count the number of backlashes/birds nests i've had the last few years on one hand. My friends get em all the time and they wonder why. ;D

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #28 on: Apr 20, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Great tips folks, keep 'em comin'!

BoutTime

« Reply #29 on: Apr 22, 2011, 12:10 AM »
Ive found that drifting the boat with the wind along a shoreline pays off great in early summer.

Its so much quieter than motoring around, even with a trolling motor. Saves on battery life and gas too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.