FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Myfishfinder Bass Fishing Tips Thread  (Read 17259 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: The Myfishfinder Bass Fishing Tips Thread
« Reply #60 on: Jun 05, 2011, 08:02 AM »
Every now and then I'll pick up a tip from somewhere, perhaps a magazine, TV show, from a friend, fishing forum, or just plain figure something out.  I've been sharing some of them here on this thread.  This time I found one that just had my head beating against the wall.  It's about what to do when you backlash a baitcasting reel.  I used to just plain pick them out, either with my fingers, a hook, or a picking tool.  Now, perhaps this is well known somewhere, or a lot of folks already knew it, but for me it was like the movie Quest for Fire when the cave men stars of the film watched the cave girl that they met from another tribe showing them how to make a fire on their own.  Anyway, Backwoods Angler TV co-host Chris Gorsuch demonstrated how he gets rid of the backlash on one of their shows.  In a nutshell, he pulls out as much line as he can until it stops, then puts pressure on the spool with his thumb and reels until it stops, then repeats the process until the entire backlash is out.  I was amazed!!!!

Here is the link the Backwoods Angler TV show web page, click on the link for "Spinnerbaits on the Delaware", the tip is about half way through it, but I encourage everyone to watch the show anyway.

http://www.backwoodsanglertv.com/Web_Broadcast.htm

By the way, these guys will be on Versus I believe starting July 25th.

Finally, I'd like to thank Thor for turning me on to these shows.  I don't get them in Maryland on my cable TV, so the webcasts come in handy.

TheDL

« Reply #61 on: Jul 03, 2011, 01:09 PM »
This is from Chris Gorsuch's blog (from Backwoods Angler TV) http://chrisgsblog.backwoodsanglertv.com/.  I was using the rubber bands that are used for braces to wacky rig my Senkos and they tend to break sometimes, and sometimes they tear the baits, but found this on his blog which seems to work much better.  He recommends using plastic tubing from your hardware store, more:

Run these rings over your plastic stick bait (e.g. Senko style) and use an octopus hook under the ring between the soft plastic and the ring.  Do this and your Senkos or other soft plastic stick baits or worms will last much longer, more fish per bait.
that's a good tip!  I just bought a pack of plastic o-rings b/c I couldn't think of anything better than an elastic, I think clear PCV tubing would be more durable and less visible.
tight lines....

BBK

« Reply #62 on: Jul 03, 2011, 05:55 PM »
You want an even better tip? Take that clear PVC plastic tubing and cut 1/4" sections and drill a 1/16" hole through each section. Slip the tubing over your senko or worm and put your hook through the 1/16" hole going through the middle of your bait. This will make it impossible for the worm to slip out of the tubing and will make your worms last 10 times longer.

Should look like this

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.