FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: As a bass angler,...  (Read 6334 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
As a bass angler,...
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:07 PM »
...what techniques or patterns would you like to improve on?

For me, it's flippin' and pitchin', and then maybe more crankin'.  I'm a soft plastic junkie, and pretty good at spinnerbait/buzzbait/topwater patterns, but I'm determined to round out my game.  In my bassin' past, I used skirted jigs once in awhile and caught some pretty big bass, but somehow got away from them.

Question for the flippers/pitchers:  what flippin'/pitchin' rod do you like?  I used to have a Diawa with a retractable handle, and right now and looking at the All Star rod.  I've found All Stars reliable and affordable.

BoutTime

Re: As a bass angler,...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:32 PM »
I guess, since I dont do them much, I would need to work on deep DEEP jigging and soft plastics. (worms)

I need my d**n boat back on the water though!

jibbs

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52 AM »
for flippin i use a longer rod with a 6:3;1 baitcasting reel...braid or flourocarbon would be your best choices....i would like to improve on my deep cranking...there is a great opportunity to put quality fish in the boat and alot of people are not doing it...i have the electronics...now i just need to put in the time
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:20 AM »
.i would like to improve on my deep cranking...there is a great opportunity to put quality fish in the boat and alot of people are not doing it...i have the electronics...now i just need to put in the time

same here.   its the only technique I just don't do alot of.  Mostly cause of the amount of weeds in the places I fish.

BoutTime

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Deep cranking isnt too intensive, especially if you use the electronics.

Locate underwater transitions with the finder like sunken channels, deep humps, weedbeds or dropoffs that give access to feeding grounds and crank the heck out of them.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:19 PM »
This season my focus is on improving my jig fishing and tube fishing skills

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:35 PM »
I couldn't catch a fish on a jig if my life depended on it. Need improvement there.
Contributing blogger at www.wickedfishah.com

SwedishPimple

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Drop shot.  I hate it and avoid it at all costs.

jibbs

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Deep cranking ist too intensive, especially if you use the electronics.

Locate underwater transitions with the finder like sunken channels, deep humps, weedbeds or dropoffs that give access to feeding grounds and crank the heck out of them.
for me i usually drop shot those areas...the key is the cast and knowing your crankbaits...i purchased the gloomis deep cranking rod with a 5:3:1 quantum smoke and i have been runnning norman d22'S and strike king series 5 or 6 crankbaits....it will take some time but it will be great to add to the arsenal...
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

jibbs

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Drop shot.  I hate it and avoid it at all costs.
i said the same thing...go for it...it is such a fun technique to catch fish on...alot of people think you need to jig it straight up and down...not the case...i cast it all the time and hop it back it too the boat...even pound shoreline with it sometimes when the bite is tough..

volume4130

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Definitely jig fishing, I haven't given it a fair shot, but this year I hope to.  I've got 2 so far on jigs, but I'd like to have the jig become a lure I don't have any problem tying on confidently.

BoutTime

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 10:10 PM »
for me i usually drop shot those areas...the key is the cast and knowing your crankbaits...i purchased the gloomis deep cranking rod with a 5:3:1 quantum smoke and i have been runnning norman d22'S and strike king series 5 or 6 crankbaits....it will take some time but it will be great to add to the arsenal...

Try cranking with that 6.3-1 baitcaster spooled with floro, it should get that sucker down and keep it down.

I use a 2500 Shimano Spirex or Solstace, they've got a 6.2-1 ratio and MOVES a crank. (I dont do baitcasters) I like to throw a Cotton Cordell Wiggle-O or an old school Storm Mid Wart.

jibbs

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 07:43 AM »
Try cranking with that 6.3-1 baitcaster spooled with floro, it should get that sucker down and keep it down.

I use a 2500 Shimano Spirex or Solstace, they've got a 6.2-1 ratio and MOVES a crank. (I dont do baitcasters) I like to throw a Cotton Cordell Wiggle-O or an old school Storm Mid Wart.
actually a 5:3:1 to works better for me...it allows me to slow down and stay in the strike zone longer...i use 15 pound p line flouro on my crankbait rod...when i talk about deep cranking i'm talking 12 to 20 foot divers...i throw storm wiggle warts all the time...they are my favorite shallow water crankbait...well i like norman little n's as well...

BoutTime

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 11:12 AM »
actually a 5:3:1 to works better for me...it allows me to slow down and stay in the strike zone longer...i use 15 pound p line flouro on my crankbait rod...when i talk about deep cranking i'm talking 12 to 20 foot divers...i throw storm wiggle warts all the time...they are my favorite shallow water crankbait...well i like norman little n's as well...

Well you can slow down the retreive with any gearing reel to stay in the strike zone longer, but its all personal preference too. As long as I cast far beyond my intended target to allow for hitting my target depth, Im good to go. The rattles are usually the key to getting them to attack though, and the Wiggle-O gets them riled up. And they are very affordable too!

The Storm Mid Wart reaches 10 feet pretty quick, and the Cotton Cordell Wiggle-O can hit 15 feet with ease. I was going to pick up some Spro Little John deep divers or Lucky Craft XD to try out for 15-20 feet, but havent yet. Kinda pricey for my liking....

jibbs

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Well you can slow down the retreive with any gearing reel to stay in the strike zone longer, but its all personal preference too. As long as I cast far beyond my intended target to allow for hitting my target depth, Im good to go. The rattles are usually the key to getting them to attack though, and the Wiggle-O gets them riled up. And they are very affordable too!

The Storm Mid Wart reaches 10 feet pretty quick, and the Cotton Cordell Wiggle-O can hit 15 feet with ease. I was going to pick up some Spro Little John deep divers or Lucky Craft XD to try out for 15-20 feet, but havent yet. Kinda pricey for my liking....
you are right about the cast...a 3rd of your cast is bringing the bait down...a 3rd of the cast is in the strike zone...and a 3rd of your cast is coming up...know your target is huge...storm wiggle wart is my money lure during tournaments...best cold water crankbait on the market and they are cheap

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.