FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cooking Bullheads  (Read 11892 times)

edbone

Cooking Bullheads
« on: Apr 15, 2010, 08:32 AM »
Was looking for some good ideas for cooking up some Bullheads.Any good recepies out there?
Wake up and take this crappie off Paisley

skidplate

Re: Cooking Bullheads
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2010, 08:57 AM »
Make pasta, I like spagetti, get your sauce good and boiling.  Put the 'heads in the boiling sauce for, say 10 minutes till cooked or leave them in longer till they break down.  Yum yum :-p
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
 Ron Paul

Gamma Fish

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2010, 09:40 AM »
Was looking for some good ideas for cooking up some Bullheads.Any good recepies out there?
Certain fish always taste better fried in bacon grease and bullheads are one of those fish !       If they're whole, flour them and pan fry them in a shallow pan with bacon grease.
   If you don't like fried fish, take the bullhead and wrap it in bacon strips and then wrap it tightly in aluminum foil.   Toss it on the grill for a minimum of 1/2 hour but longer if the fish are big.     After that, remove the foil and place them back on the grill for a few minutes to finish cooking.

Plastics are Fantastic !

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2010, 09:49 AM »
bacon grease  not only taste  like  crap  is  expensive  it's  not healthy  for  you! 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2010, 09:52 AM »
i just fillet them like a perch or anything else. you still get a good chunk of meat. then i just bread and deep fry them.  8)

Gamma Fish

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2010, 09:53 AM »
bacon grease  not only taste  like  crap  is  expensive  it's  not healthy  for  you! 
You gotta stop buying your bacon at Wal Mart  ;D ;D ;D ;D       And at your age, who cares about how healthy something is for you ?  Light up another smoke though ! ::) ::) ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

skidplate

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Here is a heart healthy one for trap: Bake in a roasting pan covered, w/ a little water on the bottom.  Sprinkled w/ a little old bay seasoning.
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
 Ron Paul

Gamma Fish

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Here is a heart healthy one for trap: Bake in a roasting pan covered, w/ a little water on the bottom.  Sprinkled w/ a little old bay seasoning.

Simple and effective !     Done it that way myself !  Old Bay is the ticket !         I've even flaked the bullhead meat after cooking it this way and chilled it before adding mayonaise and a touch of horseradish !  It makes great snadwiches !
Plastics are Fantastic !

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2010, 10:11 AM »
best  way to eat  bullheads  is  sell the  darn things and  go  buy a steak !  skid  ya  got  mail
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Try breaded and baked...hot...450 degrees. Make sure they're on a rack and not sitting on a sheet pan.

Fried in bacon grease? Now I know how you got that big ;D

At our age Trapper, we have every reason to eat a little smarter.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Personally I just do the dip in  seasoned flour, eggs wash and roll them in corn flake crumbs. Then pan fry. One thing I do is cut out the dark lateral line it gets rid of any gamy taste of these fish or any other fish for that mater.  Fillets might be smaller but taste oh so much better.

Another good one is Blacken the Fillets and do a nice sandwich with a nice hardroll, lettuce,tomatoes and Mayo or do it on a big sub roll toasted add Coleslaw and french fries all on one. This is sloppy but oh so good.
Did you put the plug in the boat?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Oh man I love blackened cats and bullhead.....catfish that is.

My bride won't let me cook it in the house though...can't blame her :-\ Ya need an industrial exhaust system for that.
RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

cnypanfisher

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2010, 02:38 PM »
No corn meal lovers out there, that's how they did them in Louisiana.

Myself I am getting a mess tonight, wind is perfect and overcast for them. Here's how i'm gonna do them, filet like a perch with electric knife, put them in a bag, then give them to the old lady next door.

Then i'm gonna go home and have a hamburger , fried in bacon grease.

cny     :D :D :D

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2010, 05:07 PM »
best  way to eat  bullheads  is  sell the  darn things and  go  buy a steak !  skid  ya  got  mail

Trap, are ya sure you haven't fished with me before? Cause I love to fish em, but they rarely ever go home with me

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2010, 05:08 AM »
I agree they're not my favorite. There's a small reservoir near me that has a population of smaller bullhead. They are sweet  tasting when the water is cold.
RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.