FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cooking Bullheads  (Read 11893 times)

1fish@atime

Re: Cooking Bullheads
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2010, 06:08 AM »
I agree RG, the smaller ones 8-9 inches. Though a pain to clean a bunch they are the best in early spring cold water.
Fry up some bacon, drain off a little grease and flour up the bullhead and fry them up.
We used to have breakfast fit for kings at a little trout pond that was loaded with these small bullhead. Some bacon and eggs, toast and bullhead. Nice part was you could munch on them all day as your trout fishing. Just good stuff.

cnypanfisher

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2010, 02:02 PM »
I agree they're not my favorite. There's a small reservoir near me that has a population of smaller bullhead. They are sweet  tasting when the water is cold.
RG
Yeah them little ones can be good eating, but then 2-4 pounders out of the lake are just not my thing. Them little ones can be great table fare. Do the cornmeal thing with some spices in the cornmeal, good stuff.

There's a creek near my house full of those little bullheads, the beavers took over the creek upstream, and there are no more trout in it. Now it's full of bullheads instead of trout, I guess the water temps went up and the creek cannot support trout anymore. I think the state should trap the beavers out and dynamite the dams, but they just don't have the loot to do it. They still check water temps and flowage as it supplies the hatchery here in town water for the walleyes. That's what happens when nobody traps the beavers, it kills off the trout fishing, really was a great spot 25 years ago. Used to be a 20 foot access on either side of the creek as they stocked it, and that's when fishermen had access rights. Now with these new laws, if you own 2 sides of a stream or river you own the land underneath it too, but that's another drama.

cny

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2010, 02:27 AM »
I usually keep a dozen or so and give some to my fishing partner. He's not much on night fishing. We used to hit the fish and game clubs around Seneca and Cayuga lakes for their bullhead dinners. Deep fried bullhead and fresh cole slaw. MMmmmmm!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2010, 03:41 PM »
We fish for em out in the sandhills of western Nebraska, waters as clear as a swimming pool and cold. Filet em, soak in Beer for 30 minutes, breading and deep fat fry on the campfire. I think the key is cooking over a campfire, makes everything taste better ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 2010, 05:25 PM »
Oh man I love blackened cats and bullhead.....catfish that is.

My bride won't let me cook it in the house though...can't blame her :-\ Ya need an industrial exhaust system for that.
RG

RG, what is your technique for blackened? I am a bit embarrassed for asking this question, as I worked as a cook for a local restaurant from the time I was 14 till I went to college for the industry I am in now. We never made any "blackened" dishes, although I love the way the asians do it with chicken. Thanks... ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Not much technique involved. Get the old iron skillet raging hot....coat the fillets with olive oil and a generous amount of seasoning. (I use my rub mixture)

When a drop of oil kinda dances as it hits the skillet, it's ready. Throw in the fillets. They smoke wildly.

Don't put too many in at once. It'll lower the temperature of the skillet too much. When they have a nice black crust, they should be done.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Not much technique involved. Get the old iron skillet raging hot....coat the fillets with olive oil and a generous amount of seasoning. (I use my rub mixture)

When a drop of oil kinda dances as it hits the skillet, it's ready. Throw in the fillets. They smoke wildly.

Don't put too many in at once. It'll lower the temperature of the skillet too much. When they have a nice black crust, they should be done.

RG

So a good high temp. a nice dry rub, with a quality high flash point oil, and badda bing...badda boom? Tasty blackened bulls. Oh, and don't overfill the skilet, as to keep temps consistantly hot? Gotcha, and thanks Pal. I owe ya one one some of my techniques!

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Here' how we serve the Blackened Tilapia in our restaurant:
Mix 2 Tbls. Paprika
      2 tsp salt
      2 tsp lemon pepper
      1 tsp ground red pepper
      1 tsp crushed basil
      1 tsp onion powder
      1 tsp garlic powder
      1 tsp thyme

Rub the filet with the mix and fry on a flat top (skillet) with some olive oil for a couple minutes each side and serve with a little red hot sauce.
Don't know why it wouldn't work for a half dozen bullhead filets, the mix will do a half dozen so if ya got more double or triple it up. Bon Appitite!

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Oh by the way don't submerge the filets in the oil as you'll fry the rub right off. Just enough oil in the pan to get the frying process done, maybe 1/8-1/4 inch or so depending on the size pan ya got.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Good info ther madpuppy, thanks....now we are getting somewhere here on this thread, instead of deep fry!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2010, 03:38 AM »
Wow!
Thanks for sharing the rub mix with us. I'll be putting some of that together today ;D

RG

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2010, 07:31 AM »
I caught some Channel Cat earlier in the week so I thought I'd give the catfish filets the blackened treatment  last night, sprinkled on some Frank's Red Hot sauce mmmmmmmgood. I've always just used the Tilapia so thanks to you gentlemen I now have another avenue for my Catfish and Bullheads ;D
Man how I love this site!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Apr 24, 2010, 10:28 AM »
Well, there's at least 1 restaurant in Nebraska I'll visit...if I ever get out there ::)

RG

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #28 on: Apr 24, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Pm me if you come thru RG, we'll hit the River, catch some dinner and fry it up :thumbup_smilie:

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2010, 02:23 PM »
As a matter of a fact RG I'm headed out to the cabin to set some throwlines right now, the restaurant is right next door on the Missouri River. Should have some Channels or Yellowcat on by morning, we could do the blackened catfish brunch thing on the deck along the river. We do serve Heinekin which is you're brand if my memory serves ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.