FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Saratoga Lake  (Read 4469 times)

[email protected]

• icecycle eddie
Saratoga Lake
« on: Oct 05, 2018, 09:11 AM »
took the boat out saratoga lake state boat launch a couple of days this week the water looks terrible green scum and white/green barnicles floting
on the entire lake looks just like sewage but its not don't know if its from the weed mowing or too many large boats in the lake nowdays i hope it clears up but doubtfull i don't think i would swim in this lake
eddie

Hookset

Re: Saratoga Lake
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2018, 01:54 PM »
The lake has been plagued by toxic algae blooms this year, badly.  Unfortunately, the lake is waaaaaay over-developed and all of the runoff from Saratoga Lake Golf Course and the surrounding agricultural areas is adding to the problem.  I fear it is here to stay.  I used to fish that lake religiously, living just a few miles north of there.  However, my pilgrimage to the lake ceased a few years back when the place became too difficult to 'enjoy'.  If I fish it at all, I launch and head straight down the creek,  but the launch is always so choked that it is just too cumbersome to wait for my rightful chance at the waters edge.  I'll wait for ice.  Tight lines!
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Tom Hannock

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2018, 03:57 PM »
The water quality is suspect for sure.  I find the walleyes don't taste that great out of there either until the water gets real cold and even then they don't compare to Sacandaga or some other lakes IMO. 
Friends don't let friends use tipups.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2018, 04:28 PM »
I betcha a mohawk eye is better.

rondog

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:45 PM »
The algae bloom happens on Saratoga about this time almost every year, It usually lasts a week or two then it's gone. The Walleyes don't taste as good as other places only to the guy that can't catch them   :whistling: We did 7 on Sunday before noon and they tasted great

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Actually in the aquaculture industry, which I am a part of, certain algae and bacteria species can indeed impart a disagreeable "off flavor" in fish raised outdoors. It's most common in nutrient rich or polluted waters. Fish farmers deal with this by holding the fish in a tank of clean water with no feed for a period of time to "purge" them of this off flavor.

I have no doubt this could occur in a lake depending on the species of algae present especially if the lake is nutrient rich from runoff of fertilizers, septic leaching etc. 

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:57 AM »
The Walleyes don't taste as good as other places only to the guy that can't catch them   :whistling:

Someone get rondog a Pulitzer for that quote.   :P

Taste is an eye of the beholder thing.  If you hate hotdogs and cant catch them....they still taste like hotdogs. I'm pretty sure metaphors dont change taste.  :laugh:

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2018, 08:14 AM »
 Lmao , taste is and individual thing

rondog

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Actually in the aquaculture industry, which I am a part of, certain algae and bacteria species can indeed impart a disagreeable "off flavor" in fish raised outdoors. It's most common in nutrient rich or polluted waters. Fish farmers deal with this by holding the fish in a tank of clean water with no feed for a period of time to "purge" them of this off flavor.

I have no doubt this could occur in a lake depending on the species of algae present especially if the lake is nutrient rich from runoff of fertilizers, septic leaching etc.
What  " certain algae and bacteria  " are we talking about? The lake gets like this every year for a few weeks do you think this would have an effect on the taste of the fish fro the remainder of the year?

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Nothing wrong with a few "greens" with your fish...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Nothing wrong with a few "greens" with your fish...h2l
🍽 🥗 😜

Tom Hannock

« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2018, 08:58 AM »
The algae bloom happens on Saratoga about this time almost every year, It usually lasts a week or two then it's gone. The Walleyes don't taste as good as other places only to the guy that can't catch them   :whistling: We did 7 on Sunday before noon and they tasted great

And this is coming from the guy who catches walleyes and doesn't even eat them :whistling: 

Tom Hannock

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Lmao , taste is and individual thing

What's odd is Oneida gets a heck of an algae bloom and I think the walleyes from there are as good as any I've ever had even our local water supply reservoir walleye that's as clean as could be and doesn't allow boats.

rondog

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2018, 11:51 AM »
And this is coming from the guy who catches walleyes and doesn't even eat them :whistling:
You do get tired of eating them after awhile :flag:

Tom Hannock

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2018, 02:26 PM »
You do get tired of eating them after awhile :flag:

I don't know about that.  I'm having some vacumn sealed Sacandaga walleye tonight :w00t:  Do you still want some garlic?  It's time to plant that if the ground isn't too wet.  I put mine in this week and have lots left to eat and plant. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.