FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ticks 😡  (Read 6271 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Ticks 😡
« Reply #30 on: Aug 10, 2018, 05:10 AM »
Bought a pack of cheep tyvex coveralls and sprayed them down and put on when mowing or weed wacking..  All my shoes and boots get sprayed. 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #31 on: Aug 10, 2018, 08:44 AM »
I spray everything including my gear i been stocking up at walmart or dicks......even if you just sitting out in your yard protect yourself
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

mudchuck

« Reply #32 on: Aug 10, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Bobwhites are a great idea; however,  they are regulated in the Great State of New York and a license is required to raise them legally. Whether a class A or B license depending on your intentions, this includes a fee, record keeping, and annual reports to DEC.  Nothing is as simple as it seems.   >:(

You should see the paper chase my son and daughter in law go thru with VT yearly on beekeeping, and they make you pay to do it!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #33 on: Aug 10, 2018, 04:35 PM »
I know! I just gave up my Game Bird Breeders License because it's ridiculous!     >:(
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

taxid

« Reply #34 on: Aug 11, 2018, 06:44 AM »
I guess the argument on the other side of the coin is the domestic birds are not adapted to live in the wild, and can introduce genes that will reduce the survivability of the wild ones. And also introduce disease?

I know out here when they reintroduced the wild turkeys (which have become quite common) they were adamant that folks not release domestic ones.

Any merit to that argument?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: Aug 11, 2018, 08:41 AM »
Round here Cecil, its just tax money.  Your argument has merit in lots of situations though.  They have had this problem with farmed salmon in the pacific.

touge30

« Reply #36 on: Aug 11, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I gave up small game hunting and field trials because of ticks.i miss having a beagle but just isnt worth it to me.

taxid

« Reply #37 on: Aug 11, 2018, 10:49 AM »
I remember growing up in Massachusetts and bird hunting a lot with and without dogs. Never even heard of a tick back them. It was the late 1960's and early 70's. Now they are everywhere when I come out to visit. Just walking a few feet in high grass and you have a half a dozen on you.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

trapper2000

« Reply #38 on: Aug 11, 2018, 03:40 PM »
well  like  all wildlife  one reason  ticks  have  spread is  the  highways   and  people  traveling   we  have  ebola  in our country   and   new  strains  of  flu ....  ticks  get on  a  surfcaster  walking  threw  brush  gets in his  truck  and  comes  to the great lakes to  catch  salmon how  many  times  at night have  you seen  wildlife  following a  road?  or the  mtn lion that  made  it  fron S dokota  to  Greenwich  CT to be  killed  on  95
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424053111903591104576470952918489180

I  think  the  high ways  we  travel  wild  life  is  taking advantage  of  it  as  well

I  was  in  boy  scouts  about  a million  years ago and I  got a  tick  on me  at 12  pines ...(small lake camping area  in  central ny)  but  nothing  like  today

then  again   I remember  my  dad pouring  gas  on  fire  ants   and I haven't  seen them  here  now  in 50  years  at least

Swampking89

« Reply #39 on: Aug 11, 2018, 04:56 PM »
My dad did the same thing with ground bees.waited till it got dark,pour gas down the hole,fire it up,and guess what,no more bees!!

trapper2000

« Reply #40 on: Aug 11, 2018, 05:32 PM »
fire in the  hole!!

zwiggles

« Reply #41 on: Aug 11, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Round here Cecil, its just tax money.  Your argument has merit in lots of situations though.  They have had this problem with farmed salmon in the pacific.

Same with the Atlantic’s. Who would have ever thought that an Atlantic salmon would be able to jump out of its pen...

taxid

« Reply #42 on: Aug 11, 2018, 08:38 PM »
well  like  all wildlife  one reason  ticks  have  spread is  the  highways   and  people  traveling   we  have  ebola  in our country   and   new  strains  of  flu ....  ticks  get on  a  surfcaster  walking  threw  brush  gets in his  truck  and  comes  to the great lakes to  catch  salmon how  many  times  at night have  you seen  wildlife  following a  road?  or the  mtn lion that  made  it  fron S dokota  to  Greenwich  CT to be  killed  on  95
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424053111903591104576470952918489180

I  think  the  high ways  we  travel  wild  life  is  taking advantage  of  it  as  well

I  was  in  boy  scouts  about  a million  years ago and I  got a  tick  on me  at 12  pines ...(small lake camping area  in  central ny)  but  nothing  like  today

then  again   I remember  my  dad pouring  gas  on  fire  ants   and I haven't  seen them  here  now  in 50  years  at least

What?! :o We have Ebola in this country?!  :o

Peronsally think the lack of DDT is a big reason for ticks. Back when I lived in the northeast we used it like crazy. I can remember C-13O's dropping it from the air while I was fishing! Fish went nuts sucking in all the dead bugs!

trapper2000

« Reply #43 on: Aug 12, 2018, 04:10 AM »
good point on DDT ...it's been what nearly 50 years since it's use  here in America?...

taxid

« Reply #44 on: Aug 12, 2018, 07:05 AM »
good point on DDT ...it's been what nearly 50 years since it's use  here in America?...

Sounds about right. Not advocating we bring it back but do think it's at least a partial explanation for the lack of ticks back then.

Surprisingly there are scientists that believe it was nowhere near as dangerous as reported.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/11/magazine/what-the-world-needs-now-is-ddt.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.