FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ugly Stik Catfish rod  (Read 3598 times)

slipperybob

Ugly Stik Catfish rod
« on: Jun 22, 2015, 05:05 PM »
Ugly Stik Catfish rod

The white Ugly Stik I purchased is a medium heavy power, seven feet rod.  I kind of wanted a Heavy power but this will just have to do.  The reel seat is designed for those large version heavyweight reels.  For now I have my old Stradic FG 4000 paired up with it.  White reel on a white rod isn't too shabby.  I have 50# Whiplash braid on it.  This braid is about the equivalent of most 40# braids.

Casting, I don't have it down yet for thus rod.  It feels awkward because it does not load up like other Ugly Stik of medium power nor does it match up to other graphite rods.  It is sort of in between, but still an Ugly Stik feel.  I have a lot of other rods to compare it to.

The hook keeper is a problem design. It is mounted perpendicular as opposed to traditional parallel mounts.  Furthermore it is on the side so there has been a few times my line gets caught up on it.  That's what happens when fishing in the night, then something screwed up happens.  You feel like there's unfounded resistance, just to find line caught on the hook keeper.

The bite detection for the rod tip is not as soft as I would've like.  It doesn't have that traditional Ugly Stik rod tip action.  To be fair the location of where I was fishing has pressured catfish that do not hit hard.  I was even having trouble hooking up with a medium power Ugly Stik Pro.  The only way to hook up consistently was with a graphite rod while you hold it. 

While hooked up to nice 22-26" catfish the rod loads up nice and progressive.  It basically flexed on full load to the same as my heavy power graphite rod.  This is what this rod does very well.  I have my very old Rhino Glow tip Medium Heavy rod that has a softer tip and more backbone that I'm much more use to, that I find better.  The Ugly Stik just doesn't have the fish head turning ability but keeps a nice progressive load.

White is also very easy to see in the night as well. The Glow line guides in the top three makes it look cool.  If anyone wants a dedicated catfishing rod, this rod fits the role very well.  I just wish they have a heavy power version. At $40 its a great buy.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

slipperybob

Re: Ugly Stik Catfish rod
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2015, 03:19 AM »
I got the casting down for this rod now.  I do still occasionally get my bait stolen clean off the hook.  Whether it be turtles, sheepshead fish, or just plain smaller cats, I am not sure.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.