FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Plastic Baits  (Read 14814 times)

Baitbucket

Plastic Baits
« on: Apr 18, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Im sure there is alot of discussion to be had on the subject of usage of plastic (or rubber) baits. We all know they work great, but so have alot of other things that were banned for the betterment of our fisheries (lead, dynamite). Im curious to hear what others feelings/opinions are on the matter of their usage, and if they should/shouldn't be banned.

Personally, I like them alot. They work well in many different situations. However if they were banned I could see why and would be ok with it. Im at a point now where I (think) can see them being banned in the future and will begin my own personal endeavor to remove them from my arsenal of baits (as I run out of them, i just wont buy any more). Whether they are banned or not, i know they are causing harm and I dont want to be a part of that.

There has been alot of talk about bio-degrable plastics, but im not entirely sure that is an answer. While they may break down in water faster, how much faster will it be in a fishes stomach. And how fast will it have to dissolve to not pose a risk to the fish.

Anyway, I cant imagine im the only outdoors-man who feels this way, so lets have a healthy (and friendly) discussion on the topic.

*Note -  I just got the On the Water Report for this week, and guess what was mentioned...
http://www.onthewater.com/forecasts/2014/04/massachusetts-new-hampshire-maine-fishing-report-4-17-14/

Rod from Flaggs in Orange told me of terrific lake trout fishing from the shore of Quabbin right from opening day on April 12th (shore fishermen only). Many of the gates I listed last week had cars parked nearby with word that 31 and 35 were especially good. Some respectable rainbows were taken also but the trophy of the week was a 5½-pound smallmouth bass that is believed to have hit a shiner. What I was most interested in was the shape of the lakers, and they were fat but for the wrong reasons! I was hoping their portly physicality was due to a rebound in smelt numbers but stomach surveys show a disturbing amount of Senko-like soft plastics! Rod also recounted similar contents in a lot of trout that are caught.

stripernut

Re: Plastic Baits
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2014, 01:55 PM »
I too have been finding more and more "Plastic" baits in fish. I don't keep many freshwater fish, but I still keep finding them in the few I keep, even yellow perch... I do forsee this being a BIG fight down the road... There is a WHOLE lot of money involved!

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2014, 03:56 PM »
With the amount of $$$ that will be lost by companies they will buy the vote.  I think a biodegradable rubber/plastic is the way to go but as far as a total ban goes I don't see it.
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Baitbucket

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Its a shame it comes down to the $$ and not whats best for the fisheries. Its clear they werent tested to see how they would break down in water or in a fish. So if they make a biodegrable one how do we know they will test what it breaks down into, and if its healthy for a fish to ingest, and inturn for us to consume...

Perhaps its up to us fisherman to make the change. If people stop using them, they will stop selling them.

fishsluggos

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Question: Are fish picking up plain old rubber or are they finding and eating scented ones they are attracted to?  I haven't seen this addressed.

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2014, 04:29 PM »
I would say either or.

Bass to mouth

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2014, 06:01 PM »
The rubber I found in the laker looked outdated, I don't see that bait anywhere, it didn't have legs but I found one amongst the guts and smelt but there were smelt so the fish was still eating and digesting. That bait I'm guessing was in the water longer than that fish was alive.

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Here we go! If a d**n fish can eat a turtle! It can eat a rubber worm! How about all those hard plastic and metal lures y'all use! Those don't harm the fish?! Do they break down in a fish's stomach !? This is and always will be a foolish topic (my opinion)! Now let the comments fly! Unreal!  Just something else to complain about!

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

Baitbucket

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I personally have never pulled a plastic or metal lure from a fishes stomach, nor have i ever heard of it ever happening. So that argument is kind of irrelevant. As for turtles, their digestive system is designed to break down their natural prey. Rubber worms are pretty unnatural. Pretty sure there is a reason they dont bury any rubber in landfills anymore as well.. It doesnt break down...

I guess being a huge supporter of C&R is ok if the fish is alive when you let it go. So what if the bait u used to catch it kills it a couple months later.

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I personally have never pulled a plastic or metal lure from a fishes stomach, nor have i ever heard of it ever happening. So that argument is kind of irrelevant. As for turtles, their digestive system is designed to break down their natural prey. Rubber worms are pretty unnatural. Pretty sure there is a reason they dont bury any rubber in landfills anymore as well.. It doesnt break down...

I guess being a huge supporter of C&R is ok if the fish is alive when you let it go. So what if the bait u used to catch it kills it a couple months later.
just because you haven't heard of hard plastic or metal baits being found in a fish's stomach doesn't mean it isn't true! I've watched my father pull all kinds of baits NOT WORMS EITHER!!! out of fish's stomach. Get the facts before ASSUMING. If a fish swallows worms ,THEY WILL SWALLOW ALL ARTIFICIAL BAITS! Maybe I should use your precious trout for bait!? ya I'm done with this nonsense thread.

MrE1979

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:32 AM »
I guess I have the most important question on this thread.... What color, size, type rubber worms do I need to catch trout?   ;D  Will a 10" curly tail in a watermelon work or do I need a 4" yamamoto in a black/blue flake
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Baitbucket

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:38 AM »
just because you haven't heard of hard plastic or metal baits being found in a fish's stomach doesn't mean it isn't true! I've watched my father pull all kinds of baits NOT WORMS EITHER!!! out of fish's stomach. Get the facts before ASSUMING. If a fish swallows worms ,THEY WILL SWALLOW ALL ARTIFICIAL BAITS! Maybe I should use your precious trout for bait!? ya I'm done with this nonsense thread.

So much for keeping it friendly lol. Either way, it appears studies have started on the affects plastic baits are having on fish. Keep using them if you like. I KNOW for a FACT they are killing fish, no assuming there.

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:42 AM »
So much for keeping it friendly lol. Either way, it appears studies have started on the affects plastic baits are having on fish. Keep using them if you like. I KNOW for a FACT they are killing fish, no assuming there.
And you are 100% sure that NO OTHER artificial baits are harming fish!? 👌

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:43 AM »
I guess I have the most important question on this thread.... What color, size, type rubber worms do I need to catch trout?   ;D  Will a 10" curly tail in a watermelon work or do I need a 4" yamamoto in a black/blue flake
Here ya go Ed, 10" black grape.

MrE1979

« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:50 AM »
Sickly lookin trout.... maybe it ate to many rubber worms.....

Will if you wanna get all environmental on us than quit driving your car cause that is affecting the atmosphere, in turn making the rain acidic falling into the water that the fish live in.  Lets not say BAN them, lets say find a way to make them fish friendly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.