FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SECRET GEM! LONG WALK!  (Read 2258 times)

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
SECRET GEM! LONG WALK!
« on: Jun 11, 2014, 11:27 AM »
Have you ever wanted to try a pond that had very little to no public access? I've been looking at this pond for probably 20 years, since using my old map books. I happened to stumble across an old grown in trail that looked like it led to the water. Yesterday with  another ½ day of work I decided to grab the gear and take a hike. I began my walk and immediately had a choice, left or right at the fork in the trail. Yup went the wrong way lol. It dead ended and I turned back to take the other trail. I started down this tiny grown in trail and came across a very large beaver dam. I had to traverse this difficult area with care! I had to walk on the dam a little and make a log bridge over a swampy area. Finally after all that I made it back to the trail.  ;D It was about another 20 minutes and 3 small streams to cross before arriving at the waters edge. Finally I arrive at this old rock and cement dam with dead logs sticking up all around. First thing I do is take 5 lol, the walk was a little tough but would prove to be worth the effort! I arrived at 12:15 and fished until 1:40 (had afternoon plans) With the first cast I hooked into a fighter! Even though these Bass weren't huge, they fought like no others I've caught this season! Most of them jumped clear out of the water multiple times! All 9 bass were caught on the 10" BlackGrape worm except for 1, that was on an African 10" Zoom brand. I did lose one that felt real big! With the amount caught in a relatively small area from shore (about 50/60 feet wide) in a short period of time, this place must be LOADED with bass! Point of this story, make the effort to gain access to hidden gems , it might just pay off. I'll be going back again soon!

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

Baitbucket

Re: SECRET GEM! LONG WALK!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Love those kinds of spots. More often than not taking the road less traveled is more rewarding (albeit more work). Nice job Keith.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2014, 11:33 AM »
A spud and back pack with traps in it ::) ::) I see a trip in there for you this winter. Might be well worth the effort. I fished a pond like that this past winter I had been lookin at the last 4 years or so just wondering what it held. It was worth it ;)
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Well done sir...I also like to get away from the rat race and fish somewhere less traveled.  Even if you don't catch fish you at least get to go on a nice hike and do some exploring.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Love those kinds of spots. More often than not taking the road less traveled is more rewarding (albeit more work). Nice job Keith.
thanks Will!

A spud and back pack with traps in it ::) ::) I see a trip in there for you this winter. Might be well worth the effort. I fished a pond like that this past winter I had been lookin at the last 4 years or so just wondering what it held. It was worth it ;)
I was thinking that too Jeff, its the carrying bait that might be tough though. :-)

Well done sir...I also like to get away from the rat race and fish somewhere less traveled.  Even if you don't catch fish you at least get to go on a nice hike and do some exploring.
Very true! I enjoy hiking just as much as fishing sometimes.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Years ago a buddy of mine found some connected old mill ponds while hiking. He planned a fishing trip back to them later in the summer and found one of the smaller ones almost completely drained with some large dead bass and panfish in the puddle.

We had another "secret" pond in New Hampshire that was a bear to get to without four wheel drive, but you could hike to it through private log roads from our camp.

We dubbed it the pickerel pond which all that we caught out of it, some up to 24". We eventually had 4wd and canoes and fished it each summer, almost every cast you would get a pickerel.

One year the man made/beaver dam breached and lowered the pond. Fishing completely changed after that.

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2014, 01:22 PM »
Growing up in Lunenburg, I would hike into a beaver pond that was in the middle of a swamp (following different beaver dams like trails), lots of pickerel and later small bass. It was mine, as best I could tell, no one else ever fished it... Good times.

Stealth

• Just a GOD to the end
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2014, 10:41 AM »
Great report Keith.
If you have great friends, taunt them..... endlessly. Even if you don't have good friends taunt them just for the practice. This is the Gospel according to the GODs.

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Great report Keith.
thanks Jimmy :-)

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2014, 10:51 PM »
Way to go man!  I've been workin mandatory 10's so not much fishin for me.  Gonna try for some evening/night fishin tomorrow. 
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Dana

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2014, 07:25 AM »
Sometimes those hidden jems pay off and sometimes they don't. There's a reason why gold pins aren't coming out of those places.
Glenn, get the net!

Poot

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Good Job Keith
I am in the processes of selling and buying a new home. I'm already looking on the map for these such places. Nothing like finding fish in a place no one fishes!!

BASSQUATCH

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2014, 04:33 PM »
Sometimes those hidden jems pay off and sometimes they don't. There's a reason why gold pins aren't coming out of those places.
I wouldn't count this place out for a gold pin! My son and his friend were catching 5+ pounders on shiners the other day. They told me of one that was really big, broke the line on the wall.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Those bass look like they may be post-spawn females (empty stomach look).
If so, they will put on the pounds as they feed this summer, providing for some good chunky bass action in the fall!!!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Those bass look like they may be post-spawn females (empty stomach look).
If so, they will put on the pounds as they feed this summer, providing for some good chunky bass action in the fall!!!

Only one of them on the picture had a rough lookin tail.  I noticed Kiver beds (small about a foot across them with a kiver on it)  when I was fishin.  I also noticed that none of the bass had rough lookin tails like they were making beds.  I fished the entire perimeter of the pond also.  The fish we were catchin were all in about 5'-6' of water and hittin late in the fall of the worm.  I don't know if they are sone spawning and I missed it but I have fished at least once a week at this pond.  Weird fishin so far....
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.