FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new to me  (Read 9925 times)

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
Re: new to me
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2015, 11:14 AM »
lol.... a 50hp 4 cylinder is hard to disguise as a 20hp. little bit of a size difference

Whaaattt?   :o  I never noticed how big my 20hp was.  ::) Is that big for a 20hp motor?  ;)  I wonder if the guy that sold me this boat knew it was a 50hp  ;D
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Eastciderida

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Took the boat out twice today. First time using down riggers think I was doing it right. Fished quinsig not a bite. Engine full throttle spits and chugs but back it off a little runs good and fast. Trolls at a great speed. Maybe 1 or 2 more times this season and packing it up.

Baitbucket

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2015, 05:23 AM »
Took the boat out twice today. First time using down riggers think I was doing it right. Fished quinsig not a bite. Engine full throttle spits and chugs but back it off a little runs good and fast. Trolls at a great speed. Maybe 1 or 2 more times this season and packing it up.

Whats your top speed and what speeds are you getting trolling? I only ask cause i had a hell of a time getting mine to troll under 3mph.

Eastciderida

« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:57 AM »
I would say Def under 3mph. Just putting it in gear it's barely moving I have no gauges so couldn't tell you speed. Will have to bring my GPS next time out and see where I'm at. Top speed with just me in it would say between 20 and 25. Feel like the boat is much heavier then it looks after towing and driving it. Steering is very stiff might try cloaking the steering cable in some solution heard they get gunked up after a couple years.

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Taking it out tomorrow morning for a good test ride. Seafoamed the engine and fresh gas have the motor running first turn of the key. Hope it's idle speed is not to fast for trolling. Need to get a cheap fish finder and test out the bilge pump

If its quick you can add a trolling plate to slow you down.

Baitbucket

« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:02 AM »
I would say Def under 3mph. Just putting it in gear it's barely moving I have no gauges so couldn't tell you speed. Will have to bring my GPS next time out and see where I'm at. Top speed with just me in it would say between 20 and 25. Feel like the boat is much heavier then it looks after towing and driving it. Steering is very stiff might try cloaking the steering cable in some solution heard they get gunked up after a couple years.

There should be some grease fittings for the steering cable. Mine was a little stiff but is nice and smooth now after a good greasing.

Let me know what your getting for troll/top end speeds when you get a GPS on it. Navionics on your phone is pretty accurate.

Knot there yet

« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Replacing plywood means replacing it again in time. Use wrong plywood and it eat your boat.
1/4 aluminum (diamond plate) instead of 3/4 plywood is less weight  and will never have to be replaced again.
Won't stain like carpet ether. You can use paint on bed liner if you like match color like carpet.
Leave small gap All the  way around so boat can flex some. I Put it in tight first time first set of wave popped rivet lose. Trimmed pcs and remounted work great no squeaks

Eastciderida

« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Not planning on this boat lasting or keeping longer then 5 years tops. Bought it cheap for that reason floor is the biggest thing I'm getting done. Will never replace the motor or put much money into it. Probably got a grand total into boat now with cover lights and other small things if it lasts 3 years I'm happy with that

xjbob99

« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Whats your top speed and what speeds are you getting trolling? I only ask cause i had a hell of a time getting mine to troll under 3mph.

hey will, i have no problem getting mine down to 2-2.5 with a 50hp.. im not sure how accurate my hummingbird chart plotters gps is tho. i catch fish so im sure the speed im trolling is working.

Eastciderida

« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:38 PM »

Bait bucket did you use adhesive for the rug? While floor was bolted down? How much extra carpet did you leave on the edge to tuck down? Ripped the two layers of old carpet out today along with the floor layer over original floor. Have old carpet and some old flooring to make a diagram to cut the new floor with. Marking the str
ingers and cutting the new floor soon just wondering how I should do the carpet.   

Baitbucket

« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:57 PM »
I used regular adhesive, but i think it may have been for outdoors. I didnt wrap carpet around the edges, i went to the edges.

Eastciderida

« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:00 AM »
And so it begins got 3/4 dry ply plywood but going to seal all the floor boards. Just need to fit in the boat and shave some corners to make it fit. Pre drill holes for screws seal it and lay carpet and it's done. Debating on pulling some of the original floor to save some weight.

stripernut

« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Make sure you seal those edges well! Good luck!

Eastciderida

« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Def after I get it all trimmed down and pilot holes drilled it's getting a real nice covering all over. Thinking I'm going to strip a lot of the old floor while it's drying

Yachtzy

« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Nice. Where did you find that plywood, the Depot? I was pricing 3/4" marine plywood a few years back and got sticker shocked. The guy at the lumber yard talked me into 1/2" A/C exterior plywood. Painted it, and painted the edges with two coats. Used indoor/outdoor rug adhesive and it worked well.

One thing to consider is getting marine carpet. When I did that project, I got it. It has rubber base backing and straight fibers. The boat I have now, I just did all the carpet two weeks ago. I got the gray indoor/outdoor from the Depot. It looks good but, the quality is not there and it is looped fibers. Anytime a crankbait or treble hooks touch it, it's a wrestling match to get it unstuck. The marine stuff is a few dollars more per square foot. Another hard learned lesson for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.