FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wachusett Reservoir Tips  (Read 12833 times)

Yachtzy

Re: Wachusett Reservoir Tips
« Reply #30 on: Mar 29, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Nice looking smallies Baitbucket and Tuna Meltdown

My best smallies there are on jerk baits. I like the rapala xraps for casting distance. Last fall I had a smallie come to the top f the water to catch my rapala as it hit water. Would have been a wild slow motion video if I had the equipment

That's a good tip Ice, thanks that is going to be my plan of attack this year.

I watched my buddy get a nice SM and rainbow right next to me on a bomber long A the day after the opener , but I was stubborn and kept throwing spinnerbaits and Zara Spooks.

Tuna Meltdown

« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 2016, 06:24 AM »
They love large suspending jerkbaits at Wachusett.  I'll have one tied on this weekend when I'm up there.  The Lucky Craft 128SP Slender pointer is my go to jerkbait.  It's 3/4 ounces so it casts like a rocket.  My buddy Sean and I had a 35 fish day (both smallies & largemouth) a few years ago in early May.  It was by far one of my best trips ever to Wachusett.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #32 on: Mar 30, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Yup. You've got Chu bassin down. Nice pic's. See you out there
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Ash82

« Reply #33 on: Mar 30, 2016, 01:08 PM »
Wow! Those some nice smallies!

Baitbucket

« Reply #34 on: Mar 30, 2016, 01:16 PM »
During may when spawning they hit pretty much anything u drop near the nest. Not out of hunger,  but to defend the nest. Suspending jerk baits work well because u can suspend them right over the nest.

The negative to pulling them off their nests is that the small predatory fish will swoop in and eat the eggs while your reeling in the bass.

Tuna Meltdown

« Reply #35 on: Mar 30, 2016, 01:42 PM »
During may when spawning they hit pretty much anything u drop near the nest. Not out of hunger,  but to defend the nest. Suspending jerk baits work well because u can suspend them right over the nest.

The negative to pulling them off their nests is that the small predatory fish will swoop in and eat the eggs while your reeling in the bass.

They were not caught bed fishing.  They were all caught blind casting a couple points and shoals during pre-spawn.

lowaccord66

« Reply #36 on: Mar 30, 2016, 10:24 PM »
They were not caught bed fishing.  They were all caught blind casting a couple points and shoals during pre-spawn.

Yup thats a nasty pattern to fish 55 degrees of water temp and they will slay jerkbaits and I've had similar success with the pointers.  I like that perch pattern you have but really miss the old one, that flatter finish more natural looking one.

taxid

« Reply #37 on: Mar 30, 2016, 10:35 PM »
Are there bluegills in the Chu? If so any size to them?

I've caught some big ones at Quabbin in Area 3.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Tuna Meltdown

« Reply #38 on: Apr 01, 2016, 07:05 AM »
Good luck to all of you that go up tomorrow.  I'll be getting there late, afternoon or so.  My plan is to cover a lot of water throwing crocodile spoons, Kastmasters, and big jerkbaits.

lowaccord66

« Reply #39 on: Apr 01, 2016, 09:43 AM »
Looking forward to it!  Saturday is the day westher wise.  Sunday will be tough. 

sull155

« Reply #40 on: Apr 01, 2016, 01:55 PM »
can't wait for tomorrow, just picked up bait.  First light first bite

lowaccord66

« Reply #41 on: Apr 01, 2016, 02:06 PM »
My enthusiasm is being tempered with reports of large holdover stripers....decisions, decisions.

sull155

« Reply #42 on: Apr 01, 2016, 04:11 PM »
I love opening day, lots of people, usually lots of catching.  It's fun to see what other people are catching and using, almost as fun as catching them myself. 

westernmas

« Reply #43 on: Apr 01, 2016, 04:26 PM »
My cousin caught this pig a couple years ago. No scale but it was definitely pushing 5-6lbs.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #44 on: Apr 01, 2016, 05:09 PM »
It's a nice smallie.  The weight, scale or no scale is not important to me at least.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.