FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: canal rod/reel  (Read 10171 times)

trophyhntr

canal rod/reel
« on: Jul 28, 2017, 08:25 PM »
I just recently fished the canal for the first time ever. I had a very sub par rod and reel. wondering if any of you would like to share thoughts on an appropriate rod/reel setup. would be looking to keep it under $500.

boondox

Re: canal rod/reel
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2017, 11:09 PM »
If it was me I would get a ulgy stick tiger lite spinning rod.. pair that with a shimano or penn reel...  I like penn pursuit 2 reels made by penn and the fierce 2 reels also made by penn..as for shimano's  for shimano a 5000 or 6000 reel size...   in like a sahra or solstice etc.. might be able to get away with a 4000 reel depending on line size you prefer.. I prefer super braids like power pro and suffix 832.. but it's all preference..  I think the ulgy sticj sells for around $69.99 and reels range from $40on up to $300...   I like rods about 7 foot long with line weight in the 40 pound max range...  those ulgy sticks maybe too soft in action for throwing long distance..   that's were loomis or even st Croix comes in.. the higher tech graphite rods..   I would look around okuma makes some good rods same shimano.. I think my shimano are better then most st Croix rods I have had.. so for sure look around and give the rods a wiggle.. by the way shimano rods some carry a life time warranty.. if fishing live bait consider a surf rod cause it can heave baits a mile..  but can you work them as well as a shorter rod?? That's why I say 7 footer..but it really is up to you and what you like not what others say if you catch fish who's to say your wrong see my point?? Most surf rods are used to plunk not work baits in the 8 foot plus the shorter rods and be used to baits but you loose distance on the throw of the bait with a shorter rod and you tend to thow harder wich flings the bait off and become earitating.. but since I don't fish canals and limit knowledge on them..  the person on here would be lowaccord..  he fishes canals and would probbly be better on info I am assumingyour striped bass fishing in canals I think he is around sone ware.. what I suggest was a general pourpose set up  if looking to spend some money talk to him.. the one I mentioned will get you by..  but there most likely is better out there that he would know about...

Baitbucket

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2017, 06:23 AM »
I just recently fished the canal for the first time ever. I had a very sub par rod and reel. wondering if any of you would like to share thoughts on an appropriate rod/reel setup. would be looking to keep it under $500.

It will depend on what you want to do with it. Do you want to toss jigs, or plugs? I know many guys who carry two rods, one for jigs, the other for plugs.

200fisher

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2017, 08:42 AM »
You'll be undergunned with a 7' rod. Most canal sharpies utilize 10-11' rods.
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2017, 09:46 AM »
I always felt bad seeing guys show up with gear that is too light.  The canal has a ton of current boondox so an ugly stick won't cut it.  The decision the OP has is Jig or plug?  If I had 500 Id probably do. St Croix Triumph surfrod and a shimano saragosa.  8000 or 10000 size would do it.  I think you can get a 2-6oz triumoh that would cover most jigging and some plugging as well.   I rock 3 rods for the canal.  10' 1-4 oz Rainshadow for eels, 11' odm jigster 4-10 oz is my new jig stick which replaced a 6-12oz rainshadow custom which I used primarily for 9" tsunami shads.  

Im down here now...slow fishing last night...2 bass both shorts and one 20#er this am.

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Ya I got skunked last night down here. Saw one short at night n a 20# that was caught w some daylight left.

I rock a Penn Battle 2 and a Tsunami rod. It is kind of the bargain bin route but if you don't want to go all out and drop $500 it is a decent combo that will let you throw a variety of baits to see if the canal is something you enjoy.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Baitbucket

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2017, 12:21 PM »
. St Croix Triumph surfrod and a shimano saragosa.  8000 or 10000 size would do it.  I think you can get a 2-6oz triumoh that would cover most jigging and some plugging as well.   I rock 3 rods for the canal. 

Jon,  u see any of the new Spheros SW reels down there? They seems well made. I use the 6k (whis is a 5k body with a bigger spool)  for jigging cod/hoaddock without any issues.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2017, 12:46 PM »
Yes Will guys use those too and I am sure they have no issues.. Pat it wasnt good.  Some action on eels some action on top in the am. My buddy Tim rocks the same combo.  He put the penn on my 1209 last night and got hurt a bit when  fish he had hooked let go making him fail backwards!

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2017, 01:22 PM »
I always felt bad seeing guys show up with gear that is too light.  The canal has a ton of current boondox so an ugly stick won't cut it.

Thats why I said talk to you.. also make sure the guys not fishing the canal form a yak.. cause a shorter rod 7 foot could be used there.. most shore fishermen use the longer rods cause they cast further.. like you know.. he did not say how he was fishing it..

Baitbucket

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2017, 01:50 PM »
also make sure the guys not fishing the canal form a yak..

Lol, I wonder how long you could get away with that.

westernmas

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2017, 01:55 PM »
Thats why I said talk to you.. also make sure the guys not fishing the canal form a yak.. cause a shorter rod 7 foot could be used there.. most shore fishermen use the longer rods cause they cast further.. like you know.. he did not say how he was fishing it..

If he's fishing th canal from a yak he's got a lot bigger problems than his rod n reel setup.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

boondox

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2017, 03:42 PM »
If he's fishing th canal from a yak he's got a lot bigger problems than his rod n reel setup.

Why would that be??

Video of ma. canal striper fishing from a yak.
https://youtu.be/2AXrLbVmfDY

Baitbucket

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2017, 04:48 PM »
Why would that be??

Video of ma. canal striper fishing from a yak.
https://youtu.be/2AXrLbVmfDY

Other than the current? Its illegal.....

"Personal watercraft, kayaks, canoes, wind
surfers or other non-motoized craft are not
permitted to operate within, or pass through
the Federally maintained limits of the Canal."

"Fishing, trolling, or lobstering by boat within
the land cut, or the confines of the approach
channels of the Canal, as defined by U.S.
Coast Guard buoys and beacons, is obstructing
navigation and is strictly prohibited."

Cape Cod Canal Laws

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2017, 05:23 PM »
In 10 years of fishing the place obsessively Ive never seen it.  Now keep in mind the canal has 2 parts really.  The land cut and then the area that stretches into buzzard bay.  You can get away with fishing "the canal" past the land cut in a boat on the buzzards bay side.  

Big one guys forget is you cant carry and conceal.  

There should be a law that if you shine your headlight on me or the shoreline I am fishing, I can beat you up.   ;D

boondox

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Other than the current? Its illegal.....

"Personal watercraft, kayaks, canoes, wind
surfers or other non-motoized craft are not
permitted to operate within, or pass through
the Federally maintained limits of the Canal."

"Fishing, trolling, or lobstering by boat within
the land cut, or the confines of the approach
channels of the Canal, as defined by U.S.
Coast Guard buoys and beacons, is obstructing
navigation and is strictly prohibited."

Cape Cod Canal Laws

There's 6 video of guys fishing the canal on line maybe you guys should report them?? Iam sure the lcoal athority could get a hold of them for doing so..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.