FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: canal rod/reel  (Read 10170 times)

boondox

Re: canal rod/reel
« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Other than the current? Its illegal.....

"Personal watercraft, kayaks, canoes, wind
surfers or other non-motoized craft are not
permitted to operate within, or pass through
the Federally maintained limits of the Canal."

"Fishing, trolling, or lobstering by boat within
the land cut, or the confines of the approach
channels of the Canal, as defined by U.S.
Coast Guard buoys and beacons, is obstructing
navigation and is strictly prohibited."

Cape Cod Canal Laws

Another question is a jet ski legal to operate in the canal? If so you could use it to get from a to b to c just like the bike and beach it .. but is beaching it illegal??  And fish from shore after beaching it legal to??

Some thing like this.

https://youtu.be/k99kOJ5P8lo

To bad stopping is prohibited in the canal just read that

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2017, 05:50 PM »
In 10 years of fishing the place obsessively Ive never seen it.  Now keep in mind the canal has 2 parts really.  The land cut and then the area that stretches into buzzard bay.  You can get away with fishing "the canal" past the land cut in a boat on the buzzards bay side.  

Big one guys forget is you cant carry and conceal.  

There should be a law that if you shine your headlight on me or the shoreline I am fishing, I can beat you up.   ;D

I knew you would figure out a way to troll the Canal but with a bike come on Jon. ;D ;D ;D

Baitbucket

« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2017, 06:40 PM »

There's 6 video of guys fishing the canal on line maybe you guys should report them?? Iam sure the lcoal athority could get a hold of them for doing so..

I mean.. Just cause people do it and dont get caught doesnt make it legal lol...

stripernut

« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Jon, that plug used to get that nice striper on the bike is one of my favorite for Bluefin Tuna! Have you ever seen any one use a planer board on the canal? I do think there is enough current to make it work! LOL!

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Ha I picked that plug from a buddys shop because of the weight.  It flies.  I never thought about a planner but man that would be funny to do with an eel!  Boondox, good question.  I have never seen one.  There is very limited area to stop because it's all rip rap.

Headed out in a few for the night.

Jigs and jigs and jigs and jigs.

stripernut

« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2017, 08:54 PM »
Do you think you will lose them all in one night? LOL!!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jul 29, 2017, 09:18 PM »
I guess it depends on how tired I am lol!  Joking aside, I needed to re-glue a bunch and sharpen hooks.  Boring but necessary work...

That is my typical bag though.  More hurley tails because I cant get a hand on affordable ron-z tails anymore since they turned their back on striper guys and market them for tuna. 

boondox

« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2017, 11:44 PM »
What's the minimum ounce jig head your using out there??  The biggest jig head I carry is s one ounce.. right now.. caus I am inland..   thinking about buying a bigger lead mold .. if I do I will let you know..  so I can send you some  would a shad head jig work for you in a one ounce??  Or do you need some thing bigger Like hot lips or a spire point from hilts molds?? If so what size?? We use the 1 ounce shad head for walleye around here detroit river and St clair river the current is fairely swift..

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Jul 30, 2017, 05:07 AM »
Most days I am using 4-5 oz heads. 

trophyhntr

« Reply #24 on: Jul 30, 2017, 08:27 AM »
thanks for the responses. I looked into reels online and have narrowed it down to one of the following most likely. penn battle 2 or spinfisher, shimano spheros or saragosa. ill have to check them out in store and decide pricewise, but as of right now sorta leaning towards the spinfisher possibly with baitrunner.
when you guys fish eels how do you do so?

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Why would that be??

Video of ma. canal striper fishing from a yak.
https://youtu.be/2AXrLbVmfDY

Thats not the canal. thats some back bay on cape cod. i honestly think its the bass river in fact.

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2017, 01:25 PM »
thanks for the responses. I looked into reels online and have narrowed it down to one of the following most likely. penn battle 2 or spinfisher, shimano spheros or saragosa. ill have to check them out in store and decide pricewise, but as of right now sorta leaning towards the spinfisher possibly with baitrunner.
when you guys fish eels how do you do so?

Avoid the lower end Penns. The main gear is notably week, specifically in the battle.  It would hold up for a bit but after a few trips of throwing 4-5oz and a big fish or two you'd notice a difference in performance.  More notchy, not as smooth.  If you spend a few more bucks for either of the shimanos you'll get a few seasons with proper care. 

Eels are easy to fish at the canal.  Cast out, drift, repeat. (Bring the eel slowly. No need for a baitrunner type device to do it.  Some guys add rubber core weights to get down, I do not.  I like to let them drift along and as was the case with the only fish I landed, it set the hook itself! 

boondox

« Reply #27 on: Jul 31, 2017, 12:30 AM »
Avoid the lower end Penns. The main gear is notably week, specifically in the battle.  It would hold up for a bit but after a few trips of throwing 4-5oz and a big fish or two you'd notice a difference in performance.  More notchy, not as smooth.  If you spend a few more bucks for either of the shimanos you'll get a few seasons with proper care. 

Eels are easy to fish at the canal.  Cast out, drift, repeat. (Bring the eel slowly. No need for a baitrunner type device to do it.  Some guys add rubber core weights to get down, I do not.  I like to let them drift along and as was the case with the only fish I landed, it set the hook itself! 

Do you have a picture of the guts in the penn battle??  Cause I want to compare to a penn pursuit 2 .. I got thd penn pursuit 2 with metal side plate been fishing it two seasons throwing 2 pound surf claw sinkers and reeling them in with fish on.. the reel has not got sloppy yet that's why I wanted a comparison.. I had a quantum optix opf 80 get sloppy and start skipping gears after a year of use.. was not well made at all but for less then $30  it did the job till I got these..any how any reel pictures of the battle and other Penns in question?? Maybe we can look at the gutts like in this photo if it works?? And is not to large?? This is the insides of s penn pursuit 2 size 8000. At least we get a quick view if any thing if it works??

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Jul 31, 2017, 06:06 AM »
Lookup Alan Hawk reel reviews.  I dont think comparing your fishing to the canal or your reel to the battle is really relevant but thats just this guys opinion.  What you will find is the battles gear is different material than yours.  That said...OP if you use a cheap penn at the canal you'll replace it. If you throw 2 pound sinkers with boondox  ::) you may be fine? 

Baitbucket

« Reply #29 on: Jul 31, 2017, 07:12 AM »
If you throw 2 pound sinkers with boondox  ::) you may be fine? 

lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.