FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: canal rod/reel  (Read 10168 times)

200fisher

Re: canal rod/reel
« Reply #30 on: Jul 31, 2017, 07:15 AM »

Did I just hear something go SNAP!?
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

lowaccord66

« Reply #31 on: Jul 31, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Joking aside...its the constant pressure of jigging 4-5 oz in a very stiff current that is tough on the spool shaft and gears. That and if you are lucky 30 and 40lb stripers!  If you are really lucky a 50!

Reels I've destroyed there in 10 years:

6000 stradic
3 4500 diawa saltists (#3 is in service but only has a few more cows in her)
2 emblem pros (#2 is in service, rotor brake is smoked!)
5000fa stella (broke body, rock rolled over that the rod was propped in)
8000fd sustain (broke body, bike blew over with rods in it)

Baitbucket

« Reply #32 on: Jul 31, 2017, 01:00 PM »
Reels I've destroyed there in 10 years:

6000 stradic
3 4500 diawa saltists (#3 is in service but only has a few more cows in her)
2 emblem pros (#2 is in service, rotor brake is smoked!)
5000fa stella (broke body, rock rolled over that the rod was propped in)
8000fd sustain (broke body, bike blew over with rods in it)

Ouch on the Stella..

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: Jul 31, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Ouch on the Stella..

That was a bad morning.  I own the only FA body shimano had left in North America..still need to send it back...broke the anti reverse!

westernmas

« Reply #34 on: Jul 31, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Granted I only fish the canal 5-10 times a year I've had my battle 2 going on its 4th year and haven't had any drop in performance.  I've also never landed anything over 30 inches at the canal so it really hasn't been tested.  I use the same reel out of my yak but use a 7 foot penn rod and I've landed fish up to 45 inches on that setup.  If you are new to the canal i think the battle 2 will suffice unless you plan on fishing the canal very frequently.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: Jul 31, 2017, 02:04 PM »
You make a good point Pat regarding frequency vs dependability.  However 45" bass in a yak moves you while you catch it.  At the canal at full tide the pressure on the same reel with the same fish is measurably more...

Diawa learned with the emblem after a number of guys broke the folding handle on the first gen!

I found another saragosa for under 300 on ebay so I am scooping it up.  Not seeing much of a performance difference between it and the 1200 dollar sw stella. 

boondox

« Reply #36 on: Jul 31, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Lookup Alan Hawk reel reviews.  I dont think comparing your fishing to the canal or your reel to the battle is really relevant but thats just this guys opinion.  What you will find is the battles gear is different material than yours.  That said...OP if you use a cheap penn at the canal you'll replace it. If you throw 2 pound sinkers with boondox  ::) you may be fine? 

Have looked up Allen hawk..  and why is comparing my type of fishing to yours not the same?? Have you ever been to port huron to fish ?? And have land fish in the 30 pound range. Since now your the expert now how is fishing different? Been doing this type of fishing every weekend for the last 7 years most reels don't hold up.. cause of the fish the current and weights we use.. put it this way you throw that 6 ounce sinker out in our current strait out in front of you..  it won't hit bottom even by the end of your drift.. so how's the fishing the different?  we have more current deeper water and large fish?? So why is it different..

lowaccord66

« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Boondox no egos here just trying to stick towards the op's question.  Suggesting I am an expert for saying a completely different fishery hunders of miles away is childish at best, had you said expert at the canal I would have agreed! Reel for the canal not a port hundreds of miles away was the question. Come visit and I will be happy to show you. You'll catch a big striper and then frown about those tank scrubbers in the port.

boondox

« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Oh wait now I know why you having him purchase the best of the best reels trying to liberate it?

I wouldnt go too crazy if you plan on fishing at night, I bought a mountain bike off CL for 50 bucks and hide it in the woods while im fishing.  I've already had 1 person try to liberate me of its ownership.  That said hiding a trike would be a pain and even during the day you don't want to leabe any gear in your bike while you are fishing.  It will walk.  I have a kickstand on my bike that I never use because I lay it down or hide it in the woods and bring all my gear with me.  Here's a pic.  Note the pvc rod holders are clamped to the backet with Hd hose clamps.  They provide support for 2 plug bags and the biggest bass you can fit (approx 42lbs or so by my tests  ;D )  *

lowaccord66

« Reply #39 on: Jul 31, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Oh wait now I know why you having him purchase the best of the best reels trying to liberate it?

A reel is a bike? Pretty sure I dont hold my bike in my hands all night...but congrats you can win the internet today.  Your prize.. well..idk pat yourself on the back?  The best reels fyi are 1200-1400 spinning reels designed for jigging tuna.  I did not suggest that.  To the contrary I said a 300 dollar reel performed similarly.  

Go have a drink or take a cast.  Dont take your case of the Monday's out on fishfinder! Also worth noting I never said anything g bad about your reel or how you use it.

trophyhntr

« Reply #40 on: Aug 07, 2017, 11:06 AM »
still haven't picked up a rod or reel yet but am getting there... trying to wait for some kind of coupon from cabelas or something. just wondering if I could pick some of you canal regulars brains a little more. I'm going to need to accumulate some tackle. I have some like savage sand eels and sp minnows. wondering what say you guys about favorite/best lures to use there. I know top water is very popular and don't have any of those yet. feel free to pm me. any hints will be much appreciated. thanks

lowaccord66

« Reply #41 on: Aug 07, 2017, 12:55 PM »
Right now...eels.  7/0 ocotpus hook, floro leader and an eel.  You can catch a lot of bass that way.  Savages and sp's are good to habe, they work.  Fav colors of mine are the plack purple sp and black savage.  I still prefer ronz tails when I can get them.  Bill hurleys produce too.  I also throw 9" tsunami shads a lot as well.

As far as topwater goes you will definetly want something that gets distance.  Super strike little neck gets out there.  Any pencil  popper thats 3.5 oz or more will too.  I use a loaded cordell a lot in mack coloration. 

All that said, enough time spent drifting eels will eventually get you a big bass.  And the best tip is do not get in the habit of bombing cast after cast....there are big fish in close frequently at night. Most of the largest ones I land are no more than 40 feet from the bank.  This pbviously excludes and surface feeding which is typically further out.

Baitbucket

« Reply #42 on: Aug 07, 2017, 01:09 PM »
still haven't picked up a rod or reel yet but am getting there...

If it were me, Id look at the St Croix Triumph Surf rod rated for 2-6oz that Jon Suggested (180$). Pair it with a 8000 Shimano Shperos SW (220$). This puts you at 400$ Leaving you 100 for line, leader, plugs, a bag, etc.

Kittery trading post has 20% off orders over 100$ right now with free shipping. Would save you over 100$. Code is SAVE20  (all cap)

Probably not getting a better deal than that.

lowaccord66

« Reply #43 on: Aug 07, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Buddy jigs with that rod.  I can confrim it will handle bass to 47"!

boondox

« Reply #44 on: Aug 07, 2017, 03:23 PM »
still haven't picked up a rod or reel yet but am getting there... trying to wait for some kind of coupon from cabelas or something. just wondering if I could pick some of you canal regulars brains a little more. I'm going to need to accumulate some tackle. I have some like savage sand eels and sp minnows. wondering what say you guys about favorite/best lures to use there. I know top water is very popular and don't have any of those yet. feel free to pm me. any hints will be much appreciated. thanks

Just got a coupon for 20 off 150 today private message me if you want it good till 8/20/17

Also the saragosa is back ordered or I would say that in the srg8000sw reel cost 289.99..   and a tsunami air wave model  tsawss -1002xh  cost for rod is $140 get $10 lures lines etc you
save $20 if you get same coupon that's 40 you save on all

They also have the penn batallion surf rod model batsf1530510 for 109.99  pair that with a pursuit 2 $50reel or a fierce 2 $80 bolth the 6000 size penn

truth fully the better set up above you will thank your self for it in the long run..  also think you would rather a st Croix rod if you can't find one cheap enough there is the tsunami airwave wich is a 10 foot good for 3 to 6 ounce 20 to 40 pound line try to find a similar st Croix if you can?? St Croix are better.  Let me know if you could use that coupon for cabelas via pm??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.