FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: canal rod/reel  (Read 10169 times)

trophyhntr

Re: canal rod/reel
« Reply #60 on: Aug 31, 2017, 08:18 PM »
so the saga continues. my brother bought the same tsunami rod on Saturday as I did. we both fished it sunday. well yesterday he noticed the top eye on his was broken...we went back to bass pro today to return them and the only thing they said was "you must have fished the canal, everyone that's buying this rod to fish there is coming back with it broken". we got refunded and didn't get a replacement yet. probably look around tomorrow and i may be leaning towards the st Croix. we'll see...

boondox

« Reply #61 on: Aug 31, 2017, 09:12 PM »
Okuma's warranty is life time were st Croix is five year.. there are pluses and minus to each I would hold it in hand before you buy.. if if you can't locate a okuma then go with what ever has good guides and a thick blank wall compare to the other .. what happened to you is  why I think life times a little better then 5 yrs.. but  some times st Croix has more pluses.. so don't get me wrong on this.. I stopped buying rods at stores with push shopping carts cause the broken guides the shopping carts cause just a heads up to always check guides before you leave that type of store..

westernmas

« Reply #62 on: Sep 01, 2017, 11:51 AM »
so the saga continues. my brother bought the same tsunami rod on Saturday as I did. we both fished it sunday. well yesterday he noticed the top eye on his was broken...we went back to bass pro today to return them and the only thing they said was "you must have fished the canal, everyone that's buying this rod to fish there is coming back with it broken". we got refunded and didn't get a replacement yet. probably look around tomorrow and i may be leaning towards the st Croix. we'll see...

That's odd.  I've got the trophy series rod and have used it for a few years down at the canal without any problems.  The airwave is supposed to be the next step up from the trophy but I guess not.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #63 on: Sep 01, 2017, 12:58 PM »
The guides popping out on those is very common unfortunately.  The fuji hardlloy guides they come with are good but that does haooen with a lot of airwaves.

boondox

« Reply #64 on: Sep 01, 2017, 01:15 PM »
@lowaccord66

Have you seen the new ulgy stick guides ?? Would be sweat to put those on a good blank LIke a rain shadow by batson enterprises those are nice blanks very thick wall that resistance to breaking ..

lowaccord66

« Reply #65 on: Sep 01, 2017, 03:20 PM »
@lowaccord66

Have you seen the new ulgy stick guides ?? Would be sweat to put those on a good blank LIke a rain shadow by batson enterprises those are nice blanks very thick wall that resistance to breaking ..

I haven't seen them.  I am rocking fuji k concepts on my 3 customs with alconite inserts.  They work very well provided the spacing is correct. 

boondox

« Reply #66 on: Sep 01, 2017, 08:35 PM »
I haven't seen them.  I am rocking fuji k concepts on my 3 customs with alconite inserts.  They work very well provided the spacing is correct. 

Will try to get a picture of one later there one piece stamped stainless steel..  they formed a ring out of the stainless steel pretty cool if you ask me no way to srep on them Crack or fracture the. There kinda like the flare on a brake line and then like polished or some thing so it don't fray line .. only thing I don't like about ulgy sticKS now is their blanks cause there To soft... if you throw these type of guides on a good batson rod I don't think it will ever fail you.. any how will have to see in picture I get later lol's ..

boondox

« Reply #67 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:31 PM »
A few pictures of the guide
Booklet with rod.

Top side of guide

Under side of guide

There really cool guides to bad they don't sell them cause I am sold on them..

trophyhntr

« Reply #68 on: Sep 03, 2017, 07:09 PM »
got the spheros spooled with 55lb line, picked up an 11ft st Croix mojo 3-8oz rod today. heading down to the canal a 2am for its test run...hope this goes better than last time.

boondox

« Reply #69 on: Sep 05, 2017, 12:19 AM »
How did you like the combo??

lowaccord66

« Reply #70 on: Sep 05, 2017, 06:08 AM »
Should be good to go with that.  I use mojos for freshwater and they work great.  Good luck!

Baitbucket

« Reply #71 on: Sep 05, 2017, 07:57 AM »
got the spheros spooled with 55lb line, picked up an 11ft st Croix mojo 3-8oz rod today.

Keep an eye on the reel seat on the mojo. I have heard many complaints of them breaking free from the blank and spinning. Almost like they didnt use enough epoxy when attaching it to the blank. There have been quite a few complaints about it on other forums. It is covered under warranty tho, if needed.

trophyhntr

« Reply #72 on: Sep 05, 2017, 09:31 PM »
so after my first trip with it. I couldn't be more happy with the reel. so smooth and nice to use. the rod is nice too but I have used a shimano tiralejo before and I think I might have like the feel of that one better. at least for bottom bouncing anyways. I believe the st Croix is a hair softer at the tip than the shimano was. seems like a great rod though and hopefully it will take many years of canal abuse for me. as for the fishing though they wouldn't cooperate for me and I got skunked. few were pulled in during dark or just at twilight. after that nothing. counted about half a dozen fish during my travels. and didn't see any mackerel this time either...

Baitbucket

« Reply #73 on: Sep 06, 2017, 06:54 AM »
Glad to hear the Spheros worked out. I use one on a Shimano Trevala for ground fishing, no complaints, especially for the price.

lowaccord66

« Reply #74 on: Sep 06, 2017, 02:37 PM »
The reel seat epoxy on the mojo will eventually be an issue. Usually the hook keeper goes first. However with a cpuple of items and some time over the winter adding coats can be accomplished.

However....When you hook a really really big bass in the canal you will eventually stress crack the epoxy.  Ive done it on all my customs including my odm jigster.

On average night time is always the right time at the canal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.