FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Decent day on the salt 08/17  (Read 7984 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Decent day on the salt 08/17
« on: Jul 05, 2019, 09:28 AM »
I had a few hours to fish yesterday morning with my old man so we got up at 3am and we were leaving the dock by 4:45am. It was slack tide so we decided that we should target sea bass first which worked out perfectly for us and we achieved our 2 man limit within an hour. They are not jumbos at all but they will eat great tonight one way or another. After that we targeted fluke and we were able to get 1 limit filled but ran out of time for a second limit. We also managed one scup and blue fish as by catch. No doormats as our largest fluke was 23" but came in perfect timing. We were heading back in when we noticed a pod of boats drifting in a well known area so we jumped into the party and within 35 seconds of dropping my bait, the 23" was hooked and coming over board. The boats around us did not seem amused (hahaha) but we drifted for 5 more minutes picking up one more short and then all the boats took off as did we. I have a feeling that area was dead before we even got there and we may have picked up the only keeper as we did not see anyone else setting the hook at all. Thats how it goes sometimes and was a good laugh for the old man. Either way it was better than being at work!

Wicked Wec

stripernut

Re: Decent day on the salt
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2019, 10:10 AM »
Nice job!

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Looks yummy!

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Some good eating right there.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Decent day on the salt TAKE 2
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2019, 06:40 AM »
Took my buddy Mike out this weekend with the intention of getting him on some fish as well as getting him some fillets for the freezer. Both succesful. What a foggy day it was as the fog never lifted all day long with an average of 30 yards visibility.  Made for some cool temperature fluctuations.

Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2019, 06:51 AM »
Excellent work!  I return to striper land this weekend!  Can't wait.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2019, 07:15 AM »
Excellent work!  I return to striper land this weekend!  Can't wait.
Striper land was spotty over the 4th weekend and location was key. 10yds apart from a area and all the people there could of caught 20 a piece and you would come up empty handed. The fish moved through but only into certain stretches

Roccus

Re: Decent day on the salt ROUND 2
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:49 AM »
fish fry!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Good luck at Striper land Jon. Elbows and knees if need be. Judo chop works as well.

T - Spot specific sounds about right in striper land.

Joe - Fluke get grilled with garden herbs and ramp butter, sometimes fried. Seabass almost always get the fish fry treatment with beer batter or tempura. Corona for a light beer batter and Guinness for a full flavor.  Striped bass, I keep very little but when I do they get the cast iron blackened treatment!

This was last nights striped bass with yellow rice. Talk about juicy.

Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Looks good from.my seat. ..when I keep a bass for the table, I bleed it gut it immediately, for me 28 to 30" is the best eating, I prepare simple,  salt,pepper and a little onion and garlic powder, broil.. they are also good poached in seafood stock..and served in a Portuguese style seafood stew.
I like my flat fish stuffed. With a mixture of crabmeat or lobster meat and poached in garlic butter..I've got to haul lobster pots tonight, I've been away, I'm sure they have been cleaned out...

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Striper land was spotty over the 4th weekend and location was key. 10yds apart from a area and all the people there could of caught 20 a piece and you would come up empty handed. The fish moved through but only into certain stretches

Not talking the canal.  The googans can have it.  Back to my roots in surfcasting.  Apparently many are afraid of the real dark and pounding surf.  Its been magical!

(Looks excellent Mike)

westernmas

« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2019, 02:59 PM »
Not talking the canal.  The googans can have it.  Back to my roots in surfcasting.  Apparently many are afraid of the real dark and pounding surf.  Its been magical!

(Looks excellent Mike)

Wet suit required?  I'm always open for a fishing adventure if you want company.  I got a wet suit for the westfield river canoe race but that was prob like 25lbs ago  :flex: :flex: :flex:
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Wet suit required?  I'm always open for a fishing adventure if you want company.  I got a wet suit for the westfield river canoe race but that was prob like 25lbs ago  :flex: :flex: :flex:

Sure, provided you don't mind being blindfolded for the ride there!   :-X

Only a few people know where "cow town" is and Roccus is the only one I know today that knows it.  Need to keep it far from the prying eyes of social media.  Ability to swim is 100% required.

westernmas

« Reply #13 on: Jul 10, 2019, 09:27 AM »
Sure, provided you don't mind being blindfolded for the ride there!   :-X

Only a few people know where "cow town" is and Roccus is the only one I know today that knows it.  Need to keep it far from the prying eyes of social media.  Ability to swim is 100% required.

I'm game.  Just don't do anything weird when the blindfold is on.  I'm an excellent swimmer so that isn't an issue.  I haven't even been back to any of the spots that you've shown me at the river or the ditch. 
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2019, 10:16 AM »
I'm game.  Just don't do anything weird when the blindfold is on.  I'm an excellent swimmer so that isn't an issue.  I haven't even been back to any of the spots that you've shown me at the river or the ditch.

Ha! Its the chance you have to take being blind folded.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.