FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Decent day on the salt 08/17  (Read 7986 times)

deerhunter

Re: Decent day on the salt ROUND 3
« Reply #30 on: Jul 18, 2019, 06:23 AM »
yep wasn't long ago you could fish lucas and boat nothing but keepers. my biggest back then was around 8 lbs. caught it in 80 ft of water on a sea bass rig. my dream now is to go out to Nantucket shoals. a bit far in my 20 ft seacraft

stripernut

« Reply #31 on: Jul 18, 2019, 07:05 AM »
I have been kicking around the idea of hitting one of the party boats that goes out there, maybe we could get a group together?

deerhunter

« Reply #32 on: Jul 18, 2019, 08:18 AM »
im game. the Helen h goes out but I wouldn't be surprised if its booked out

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2019, 02:29 AM »
I would be down for that.

Here are the smoked mackerel. Man are they good. Fish candy.

Wicked Wec

stripernut

« Reply #34 on: Jul 19, 2019, 06:26 AM »
im game. the Helen h goes out but I wouldn't be surprised if its booked out

All booked for this month... I will continue to look at what is available and if anyone else has an idea, please share them!

deerhunter

« Reply #35 on: Jul 19, 2019, 06:54 AM »
im not a fan of party boats and would be willing to pay more for a charter

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Decent day on the salt ROUND 4
« Reply #36 on: Jul 30, 2019, 02:15 PM »
Took my old man out on Saturday and tested out some new waters. Fishing was slow as far as keeper fluke go but we did catch a mess of fish overall. 4 keeper fluke, 6 nice keeper seabass, 10 big keeper scup and took home 2 huge dog fish to try in chowder. In total we caught about 30 fluke, 70 plus seabass, 30ish scup and about 15 dogfish. Fun day for sure!

Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #37 on: Jul 30, 2019, 02:34 PM »
Nice job Mike!

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: Jul 30, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Excellent work.  Keeping your family supplied with good eats.  Nothing better.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #39 on: Jul 30, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Thanks fellas! I know I have said this before but something is up with our Fluke stock. I do not want to jump the gun because of 1 lousy season but this has been the worst season I have ever experienced. By a long shot! This season,  I am consistently at 1/3 of what I normally catch, both keepers and shorts. When I fish with other boats around, I am barely seeing anyone pull fish out so I know I am out fishing them all. Even some of my go to spots are dry or near dry. And yes, I am considering and trying all different things. Even my local head boats or reporting a less than favorable fluke season. I still have a few trips left this year but I am already wondering what next season will look like.
Wicked Wec

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #40 on: Jul 30, 2019, 08:10 PM »
I was on Lucas a couple weeks ago. Did not like seeing 2 draggers out there. Did mange 1 keeper fluke and some nice sea bass
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2019, 08:06 AM »
I was on Lucas a couple weeks ago. Did not like seeing 2 draggers out there. Did mange 1 keeper fluke and some nice sea bass

Jeff, I deal with draggers all the time as well but I am starting to think that its not just them. I wonder what the general consensus is in MA, CT and NY this year as well.

Wicked Wec

CMD1987

« Reply #42 on: Jul 31, 2019, 12:40 PM »
Thanks fellas! I know I have said this before but something is up with our Fluke stock. I do not want to jump the gun because of 1 lousy season but this has been the worst season I have ever experienced. By a long shot! This season,  I am consistently at 1/3 of what I normally catch, both keepers and shorts. When I fish with other boats around, I am barely seeing anyone pull fish out so I know I am out fishing them all. Even some of my go to spots are dry or near dry. And yes, I am considering and trying all different things. Even my local head boats or reporting a less than favorable fluke season. I still have a few trips left this year but I am already wondering what next season will look like.

I would be worried except last year was among the best I have experienced - I wouldn’t worry until at least next year...water temps were a little off early spring and might have thrown things off a bit for this season I suspect

mudchuck

« Reply #43 on: Jul 31, 2019, 01:45 PM »

Had similar experience when I lived Eastern Shore of MD back in '80's.
Nets had mesh openings small enough to trap too many, stocks went way down and we barely could find a keeper in the recreational realm. They finally made the netters increase mesh size opening and guess what...within 2-3 years the stocks improved greatly and started getting recreational summer flounder keepers and aAlantic croakers (locally called hardheads) came back with a vengeance.
Cause & Affect...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #44 on: Jul 31, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Jeff, I deal with draggers all the time as well but I am starting to think that its not just them. I wonder what the general consensus is in MA, CT and NY this year as well.
They all decided to swim to the Nantucket shoals mike :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.