FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good start to November  (Read 2776 times)

TightLinesMaine

Good start to November
« on: Nov 05, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Got out yesterday early-afternoon, plan A was still water landlocked salmon but unfortunately (and unsurprisingly) a bunch of guys had beat me there, didn't feel like waiting or crowding anyone so didn't even get the fly rod out of the car and left right away.  Plan b, a river, was also a mob scene when I arrived, but I'm more used to this spot being crowded and there's plenty of fish to go around and plenty of space so I gave it go.  The target here was brown trout, and it wasn't long before I got an aggressive chase out of a deep hole from a larger fish that really wanted my fly, as it "swiped" a few times before I hooked up with him.  Relatively short, but fun battle on the 6 wt.  He was in between 17" and 18" I'd say, I haven't caught a brown of this size since May so it was a treat.  Same exact fly that I got both my large salmon on last month too - my woolly buggers are lethal  ;D.

the fly in the mouth is a size 6 for reference.

zwiggles

Re: Good start to November
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Awesome colors on that brown!

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Awesome fish! That fish looks like it’s in nice shape
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

franklin fisher

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2019, 08:10 PM »
Beautiful fish.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2019, 06:07 PM »
one from today: I was only on the river (different river from where I caught the brown in the first post) for not even a half hour when I hooked into this guy; he bit in an eddy and immediately turned downstream and headed into the next pool, so I had to pretty much 'chase' him downstream (I didn't want to horse him too much even though I may have been able to).  While he was on the line and I was following him downstream with my rod tip high, I slipped backwards on a smooth rock, while (unfortunately) in my hip-boots, and went completely under water up to and over my waist, cold!!! I somehow managed to keep my line tight while he was on the line and eventually landed him (thankfully!).  Had i lost him, it would have been a much more miserable ride home  ;D.  I was planning on fishing for 2 hours at least but I was drenched from the waist down so I had to call it a day not even 30 or 40 minutes in.  Had I been wearing my full waders I may have been fine/dry and certainly would've been able to fish longer, oh well!  I may make one more trip back here since I hardly covered any water.

he was about 17", a little shorter than the brown in my first post, but just as (if not more) fat.

franklin fisher

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2019, 07:18 PM »
  Nice fish. Water temps are a little cold for swimming. Way to hang with it.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2019, 08:50 PM »
A couple real nice browns, Randall.  Really like that first one  8)

Careful with those falls.  They catch up with you down the line.  I'm on right leg injury #3 now and this one is gonna lay me up some :P

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:58 AM »
A couple real nice browns, Randall.  Really like that first one  8)

Careful with those falls.  They catch up with you down the line.  I'm on right leg injury #3 now and this one is gonna lay me up some :P

ouch, sorry to hear Jim.  Fishing related?

The water completely cushioned my fall so I didn't get hurt at all, just cold, very cold  :laugh:  My fault completely, I should've known better to be careful while wading in hip boots (no studs on 'em).

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2019, 01:26 PM »
Yes, fishing-related in NY.   A bad choice in bad conditions.  A wild snowy weather day....another guy took a big time swim. I had 2 tests this morning and I'm in a leg air cast.  But I've caught fish in November and my streak is OK for now ;D

ouch, sorry to hear Jim.  Fishing related?

The water completely cushioned my fall so I didn't get hurt at all, just cold, very cold  :laugh:  My fault completely, I should've known better to be careful while wading in hip boots (no studs on 'em).

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Yes, fishing-related in NY.   A bad choice in bad conditions.  A wild snowy weather day....another guy took a big time swim. I had 2 tests this morning and I'm in a leg air cast.  But I've caught fish in November and my streak is OK for now ;D

Oh no! NY definitely has some dangerous waters i've heard.  Sounds like you landed some trout (in NY) before you were out of commission at the least? Any bruisers/lake run fish?  Anyways, hope  you have a speedy recovery.  I too got one of those fancy air casts for my foot/fractured heel in Sept., they are great/super comfortable but $$! Lol.

Jim C.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Thanks, Randall.  The fishing was tough, but "yes" answers to all your questions. There is a story or 2 to tell.  Unfortunately, my camera was MIA for one. >:(   I didn't pay for the aircast so far, so I guess they are sorting it out with my insurance.  No bills yet anyway ;D

Oh no! NY definitely has some dangerous waters i've heard.  Sounds like you landed some trout (in NY) before you were out of commission at the least? Any bruisers/lake run fish?  Anyways, hope  you have a speedy recovery.  I too got one of those fancy air casts for my foot/fractured heel in Sept., they are great/super comfortable but $$! Lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.