FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: boat safety  (Read 6228 times)

greensider

Re: boat safety
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 06:42 PM »
Far to many morons out there with no idea how to safely operate a boat and they should teach boating edicut to bass boaters who run all over families just trying to enjoy the day

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 05:58 AM »
I agree with the required safety course 100%, but not the NYS money grab.
Before I came down here to Florida I took an on line boating safety course.  It was VERY intensive.  A test after every chapter that you had to pass before you could proceed to the next chapter.  If you failed you had to redo the chapter and take the quiz again till you passed.  I failed one and had to redo.  Like 12 chapters.  Then you had a final exam covering all the chapters you had to take and pass.
I have been boating for 40+ years and this class wasn’t easy.
But it was free.
I will probably tell Cuomo to stick it up his poopchute as there is no fine if you get checked and haven’t taken the class.
Again, I’m in favor of the required class but not the fee.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 06:28 AM »
A course is fine , I don’t agree with the money grab ,
 people on the road have to take a test looks like that really is working out , and there are message boards for reminders , and still people text , drive dunk , and don’t wear seatbelts to name a few
 There will always be Richard Craniums
Just another way for the politicians to reach into the pockets of the working class

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 06:38 AM »
Should have been a law long ago. The course should be free, you get stopped and not have taken it, then you pay for it. It won't stop a jerk from being a jerk. It gets worst every year...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Agreed hunts , 78% of fatal boating accidents were alcohol related
 In the past few years we have had a few deaths , capsized boats and the others were alcohol related

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 06:55 AM »
 http://
In 2018, New York had 17 fatal boating accidents reported resulting in 19 fatalities and 19 lives lost prematurely. When fatalities in 2017 were considered against the number of registered boats, New York's fatality rate was 4.95 deaths per each 100,000-registered watercraft.
And there are 438,891 registered power boats , that alone comes to little over $26,333,800  , now toss in non motorized units , kayaks and row boats 💰

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 07:17 AM »
Welcome to how we do it in NH, only you can't test online, you have to test in person. You can take the course online but have to schedule a proctored exam. My NASBLA Certification was an all day course, the most stringent in the nation. I was born on boats, I have been sailing 40-60 foot sailboats in downeast Maine for 47 years. I've solo'd a 37' bluewater sailboat 1300 miles, and I actually learned quite a few things in the class. Here in NH we do get fined if you are operating over 25 horsepower without a Boat Ed. Certification and I think it's $130. Talk about a cash grab.

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:47 AM »

Jethro is that a 1 time thing or are there refresher courses ,

bbfrogger

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Most of the people/issues that I see aren't that people that don't KNOW the correct thing to do, it that people don't CARE about the correct thing to do.  And taking a course won't fix that.  It will only fill the states coffers with more of my money.  I agree about the drinking and boating comment mentioned above as well.  Take that out of the equation and the vast majority of the problems go away w/o taking any course.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Myself and little guys mom took a boating course we got it for free through the cayuga county sheriff's department.had to take it to operate jetskis and it is an intense course 8 hours long.very good course to take and it's a 1 time deal class your card is good for life.fyi if happen to have a captain's lisence you need not to take course to operate any water type of water vessel

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Far to many morons out there with no idea how to safely operate a boat and they should teach boating edicut to bass boaters who run all over families just trying to enjoy the day

There's some irony in this post....and its laughable! 

CT is the same as NH.  8hrs in person class followed by in person test.

Dirtyhooker

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 02:25 PM »
I have No problem taking the course again as my first course was at nine years old now at 56 years of age I’ll take the course again but I do have a problem when they’re not going to have all these rental boat operators taking the course take a cruise on Lake George on any summer day and watch all the idiots out there

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 03:58 PM »
Allowing people with no boating safety course to rent a boat seems like an accident waiting to happen.  When I went on a fishing trip to Canada last year they required me to have a boating safety course certificate just to rent a boat with a 9 horse on it.  My certificate from NY was honored in Canada.

greensider

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 05:48 PM »
I took an 8 week course years ago because i was fishing conn they have required one for any power boat for a long time

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.