FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fairly New to Northern Virginia  (Read 4426 times)

treed942000

• MFF Mod Team
  • Bailee and Sandee
Fairly New to Northern Virginia
« on: Mar 24, 2004, 08:13 AM »
I've been in Northern Virginia for about a year now.  Planning on doing a lot of fishing this summer and have actually been to Burke Lake a couple times.  Can anybody tell me where to find a good lake up in this area?  Also, any bait shops?

Thanks
TReed
Tight Lines,
TReed

Open Water @ www.myfishfinder.com Icy Conditions @ www.iceshanty.com Hunting @
www.myhuntingforum.com

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: Fairly New to Northern Virginia
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2004, 07:50 PM »
Lake Anna is a good lake, lot's of species, decent fishing, has boat rentals, etc.  I live in MD so I'm not familiar with the bait shops in NVa.  I've fished Lake Fairfax a couple times and caught some decent largemouths on plastic worms in the summer.  I've heard good things about Lake Orange also.  The Lower Potomac River is excellent for largemouth, crappie, bluegills, catfish, white and yellow perch, stripers, shad...  The upper Potomac is good as well.  I've also heard that Goose Creek was good (and Goose Creek lake?) but never fished it.  I've got some buddies that live on your side of the river.  I'll hit them up with some info and get back to you here.

treed942000

• MFF Mod Team
  • Bailee and Sandee
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2004, 05:27 AM »
Thanks Fat Boy, I appreciate the help.  The one bad thing about moving, ya got to find someone that knows the area for fishing.  I have been to Burke, Bull Run and Occaquan Lake but I think when I was there it was still a little cold.  Didn't have much luck.  I'll be standing by with bells on.

TReed
Tight Lines,
TReed

www.myhuntingforum.com

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2004, 12:21 AM »
TReed, what species are you after and what is your preferred way to catch them (artificial vs. bait)?  If I new that, I may have a better idea how to put you on to fish near you.

treed942000

• MFF Mod Team
  • Bailee and Sandee
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2004, 06:36 AM »
This time of year mainly crappie and catfish w/live bait.  After the water warms up, I'll start fishing the LMBass harder.  Either or for them.  I'm goin over to Burke this afternoon and try my luck.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I have found many places that have Northern/Muskie in my immediate area.

TReed
Tight Lines,
TReed

www.myhuntingforum.com

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:18 AM »
You definitely should try the Lower Potomac too.  There is lots of good access there on the VA side and the crappie are big.  The catfish get pretty hefty too.  I wouldn't make a constant diet of the fish from there though, maybe a few meals each year, because of the water quality and toxins in the fish.  But, the fishing sure is fun down there.

treed942000

• MFF Mod Team
  • Bailee and Sandee
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:39 AM »
I will go down and check it out.  The weather just isn't cooperating for me right now.  Darn rain.  Once again the weather people were wrong!!
Tight Lines,
TReed

www.myhuntingforum.com

Chebeague

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2006, 10:23 PM »
I love lake anna

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.