FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A few general Trout Fishing questions  (Read 2737 times)

dtpatt21

A few general Trout Fishing questions
« on: Sep 10, 2004, 10:15 PM »
 :D

Hi everyone.  I am 24 years old, since I was 1 I have been fishing.  Have caught many trout.  My family always went to the High Sierras growing up.  Pretty much growing up, we'd use marshmallows, then powerbait years later.

A few questions I have:

What other methods are there?  I know there are spinners, I rarely used these growing up.  I also have used a bubble with a long leader with a fly.  Had some luck with that.  What else are some doing these days that is successful?  I haven't really ever used worms or of the such.  Guess I just want general information on other methods.  I am going on a fishing trip again soon.  Just wanting to trty other methods besides just looking to catch pellet raised stockers.

Also, how hard do you jerk to set the hook?  I know there have been times that I have waited either too long, or not long enough or maybe jerked to hard.  I pretty much have the feel for when to set it, but wondered if there is a method that is better for setting it.

Thanks,

Doug

Cider

Re: A few general Trout Fishing questions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2004, 11:29 PM »
Doug - talk to TFB or MackDaddy about using worms in streams/rivers for trout.  It is an awesome way to find trout in a hurry.

Fly fishing is another great method but would take volumes to go into detail here.  Visit the fly fishing section on this site for more info.  There is a lot of good stuff there to read.

Spinners are deadly as are spoons.  They are about the easiest to fish for trout.  All that really is involved is trial and error.  Find what depth they are holding in by varying the size/weight of the spinner.  Once you have that figured out...start mixing up the colors and blade styles of the various spinners that are out there to find out what they want on any given day.

My personal favorites are just about any panther martins and blue fox vibrax spinners.

Just cast them out and let them suspend in the current.  Make the blade/spinner do the work.  Vary your retrieval speed to see what the fish are interested in.

Obviously... all of this is based upon time of the year...water temps...available food sources...

You need to understand a little about trout biology/habits.  Learn how they behave throughout the year and you will find that you can land them with pretty much any method you choose!

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2004, 11:37 PM »
To answer your other question... setting the hook on trout...

It is all a matter of feel... you will learn that through experience.  It depends upon species of trout...time of year... their appetite.  Sometimes the trout hit hard and you need to set the hook right away.

Other times...the trout are finicky...just nibbling and sampling...it is a matter of finesse now...they are spooky and skittish!!

Learn to be patient.  It is like jiggin' for lake trout through the ice.  Wait for that tap tap tap at the other end of the line...but don't be eager!  Let the laker tap tap tap it some more!  Set the hook too soon and all you will have is his lips or nothing but net!  Wait too late and you might gut hook an undersized fish!

Practice and experience will tell you when to set the hook.  It all depends upon what mood the trout are in!

Whatever you do...keep the line tight!  Everyone says "tight lines" for a reason.  Give that trout his head and he will shake you everytime!

Polar

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2004, 07:51 AM »
I like using a size 10 baitholder hook with a redworm and just enough weight(splitshot) to tic bottom. Cast upstream of the pool and let drift to complete drift covering the hole.Keep finger on line to detect strike.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2004, 01:50 PM »
I like using a size 10 baitholder hook with a redworm and just enough weight(splitshot) to tic bottom. Cast upstream of the pool and let drift to complete drift covering the hole.Keep finger on line to detect strike.

That's sort of what I do.
Read the plastics for trout thread, I kind of highjacked that thread and told about the nightcrawler technique.

For spinners, generally fish them slow and about as deep as you can. Try to use bright colors like flourescent orange if the water is murky, and colors like gold if it is clear. Use larger spinners than suggested- size 6 panthermartins are the best size.

Setting the hook: If you are using the worm technique, browns will hit tap...tap...tap hook them on the third tap usually. This way you hook them in the lip or jaw and not deeply. they hit moderate.
For rainbows, they either slightly tap it, or smash it, depends on the fish. Set the hook as soon as you feel them as they have a tendancy to take it deeper faster than browns.

And since I read that you are fishing in colorado, my area, I know these techniques will work great.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2004, 10:07 PM »
Drifting worms is generally the best method for river trout. Use enough weight to stay down near the bottom, letting the drifting sinkers tick the bottom. Place on two moderate sized split shot, depending on current, about 12- 20" up from a needle point #6 hook. Only use about half of a nightcrawler, as even big trout will take the small food eagerly.
Drifting bait will virtually eliminate any problem of bait related mortality. Having the right line, the right rod, and a sharp hook plays into this as well. Baitfishing by deadsticking will increase mortality to a level above that of flies or lures.
Fly fishing also works well. Drifting a nymph along the bottom or well under the surface is often the second best river technique behind bait bouncing. When a hatch is on, a dry fly beats anything. Plus, fighting a fish on a fly rod is the funnest method to land fish. Just make sure not to use too light of leader or tippet, so you don't play fish too long. Same goes for any type of fishing. You want to play and handle the fish as little as possible.
Spinners kick butt too. Sometimes in some rivers, they outfish anything, even bait or nymphs. You just have to make sure you keep them deep in the zone, and the let the current work the blade, as Cider said. Spoons, minnowbaits, even plastics also work well for trout. I think trout are the easiest of gamefish to catch besides hungry panfish. You can baitfish, fly fish, or lure fish and catch the heck out of them. Bait generally works best, but flies or lures work well, and occasionally better than bait. All depends on the situation.

Tyler

dtpatt21

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2004, 10:28 PM »
"Drifting bait will virtually eliminate any problem of bait related mortality."

What do you mean?  The bait dying?

What about lake fishing with worms?  Same thing, just let it drift off the bottom?

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2004, 12:52 PM »
"Drifting bait will virtually eliminate any problem of bait related mortality."

What do you mean?  The bait dying?

What about lake fishing with worms?  Same thing, just let it drift off the bottom?

No, deep hooked fish are extremely rare.

You can't do it in a lake because there is no current.

Cider

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2004, 01:27 PM »

Ever been trolling TFB?  Downriggers.... planer boards... live bait... set the release...  1-1.5 MPH....FISH ON!!

No boat?  No downriggers?  Use a canoe, a kayak, or a belly boat...thread a night crawler onto a spinner rig and start paddling.  Use an electric trolling motor.  It works!!  Can't get deep enough?  Try a dipsy diver...bounce your bait along the bottom.

Stuck on shore?  That thing at the base of your rod... it has a handle on it... give it a crank!  Nice and steady...slow retrieve... bounce the bottom.  Spinner rigs work well like this too.  Just don't dead stick the bait.  Talk to slipbob.  I am sure he can show you some walleye proof using this method!

No current?  Think outside of the box, create your own...  :w00t:

Cider

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2004, 02:13 PM »
Part of the original question still goes unanswered...

How hard to set the hook on trout...  let's just say firm.  In other words, you aren't trying to start a stubborn ole chainsaw!  You don't need to try to rip their lips out.  Just a sharp snap of the rodtip and you are all set.  Timing is the important part...

The real answer to the question is simple:  if you have ever successfully landed a trout, then you already know how to set the hook.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2004, 08:42 PM »
Yeah Cider, one guy who helped teach me how to bounce bait in the river says that you can very slowly reel in the bait and bounce it like a slow jig and catch them better than still fishing. In lakes I usually use lures, except when Ice fishing, so I'm gonna give it a try shorefishing. I have seen guys drifting worms in boats and catching all sorts of fish left and right, from catfish to perch.

Tyler

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2004, 10:17 PM »

Ever been trolling TFB?  Downriggers.... planer boards... live bait... set the release...  1-1.5 MPH....FISH ON!!

No boat?  No downriggers?  Use a canoe, a kayak, or a belly boat...thread a night crawler onto a spinner rig and start paddling.  Use an electric trolling motor.  It works!!  Can't get deep enough?  Try a dipsy diver...bounce your bait along the bottom.

Stuck on shore?  That thing at the base of your rod... it has a handle on it... give it a crank!  Nice and steady...slow retrieve... bounce the bottom.  Spinner rigs work well like this too.  Just don't dead stick the bait.  Talk to slipbob.  I am sure he can show you some walleye proof using this method!

No current?  Think outside of the box, create your own...  :w00t:

Yeah I know you can do these things, and I have, but I just don't think they work as well as other methods for trout.
Another thing you can do is rig it like a slipbobber so it is just above the bottom on a windy day. Then the wind will slowly push the clear bubble across and it will drift across or just on top of the bottom. One day I caught 15 walleyes doing this, and I have caught trout doing this too. I just didn't say about it because In my experience these techniques don't work as well as a spinner or trolled fly in lakes.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2004, 08:33 AM »
Don't focus solely on the bottom!  One lake I fish I drag a 1/2 a nightcrawler anywhere from 2-10' under a float (over 30 fow) and catch alot of big rainbows while I'm jigging for walleyes.  For lures, spinners and stick baits like Rapalas are great but one of my favorites is a Phoebe, usually gold but silver has its days too.

As far as setting the hook, when bait fishing the most important thing is to make sure you have all your slack taken up before setting the hook.  When fishing a stationary bait it is much easier for a fish to move toward you creating slack with out detecting it.  Point the rod at the fish, reel down until you feel pressure and lift firmly.  That's all there is to it!  Good luck!
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.