FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: stripers doomed?  (Read 1474 times)

deerhunter

stripers doomed?
« on: Sep 17, 2004, 06:53 AM »
up here in the northeast there is talk around the bait shops and articles in some
papers about the marine food chain and the consequencs of not enough food
for stripbass. it apers to me that these big factory ships are scooping up alot of
herring and whatever else gets in to the nets.they spend days at sea and come back
with millions of lbs of herring to make into cat food and for lobster bait. i would like to
see it regulated better.it will be real sad to lose one of the best game fish in the
ocean to this greed.

Trophy Hunter639

Re: stripers doomed?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2004, 05:59 PM »
That really sucks :cursing:

jigerjim

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2004, 06:42 PM »
   I whont say for sure, but I think N J banded netting with in the 6 mile limit for Bunker and herring. 5 /6 year's ago I watched them factory boat's working off the coast. They had plane's spotting school's of fish, then the smaller boat's moved in for the kill. Not much servied. The factory ship layed off the coast for about 3 week's then moved on, but they were back agen next year :'(

All way's keep your line wet

deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2004, 06:25 AM »
the ocean bioligest or whomever reulates say they could never deplete the hearing
from overfishing. isn,t that what said about the cod. one of those big ships were recintly fined in maine for netting juvinile haddock and cod. what about the ones
that don,t get caught. i hate nets.

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2004, 12:01 PM »
I've read much about this.......a few different ways to look at it:
Junk Science.
A reporter needs a story.
Politically motivated story.
I could go on and on.
I can give links to anyone that wants them thats says these biologists, reporters, etc. are blowing smoke for no reason.
Believe what you want, but I don't buy it.

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2004, 01:06 PM »
I read somewhere that due to overfishing of manhaden in Chesapeake bay the water quality got very bad because they're plankton eaters and young stiped bass don't have enough forage to eat, so they're starving.  Talking about shooting your self in the foot, but i guess it's all about the MONEY.  and the fishing industry has much deeper pockets than us, lowly recreational fishermen!   >:(.
GONE FISH'G.......

deerhunter

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2004, 06:06 AM »
we will see mugz when theres no more stripers to catch and release in a few years.
how will they say it? can,t buy a fish.

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2004, 04:31 PM »
I don't believe that the striper fishing will suffer from a lack of food. The stripers I catch up here in NH feed on mackeral,shad,herring,bunker,poagies (menhaden),crabs and even juvenal lobsters.They are such opertunistic feeders that they could'nt possibly starve.But I'll tell you what will demise the striper population and that is opening up commercial fishing for them again as I have read lately.It seems that our elected officials have no clue!
Bubba

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.