FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: winterizing your boat and motor  (Read 2982 times)

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
winterizing your boat and motor
« on: Sep 26, 2004, 05:48 AM »
    the time is just about here to think about winterizing our boats and motors.thought  id start this thread ,thinking between all of us we shouldnt hear any complaining in the spring.
now this is my first year with a boat big enough to have some things to worry about.my 10 horse always finds a nice warm corner for the winter  8) now i have a 90 horse and i am still lucky enough to have a heated garage to keep it in,however, i still want to give it a drink of anti freeze(environmentally safe stuff only)i could use some help here.
   as for the rest of the motor i plan to...
   1. change lower unit oil,if you have any water in there at all you dont want it to freeze,hope fully you dont  :P
   2.grease everything that has a fitting with a good quality marine grade grease.
   3.add fuel stabilizer as per product instructions
   4.run and fog the engine ,and run it out of gas.
as for our boats....
   pull your plug OUT
try no to store anything on your boat that will be attractive to rodents as they will be looking for homes both now and in the spring they love to shred your life preservers to make nests.
   shrinkwrapping is the best protection but can be costly.i plan to build a small tent over my hull and cover with tarps.sharp pitch and pull tight wrinkles hold snow and ice that can damage your boat you want it to shed the weather.prop up your boat at a sharp enough angle to shed any water that does get in there before it freezes.
  take your batteries out and store in a nice dry spot for the winter.
    if ive forgotten anything , and im sure i have, that is the point of this thread, im sure you will let me know.
  i think i still have another 3 weeks before it really starts getting cold enough but its coming soon
Scotty 

Bigfish57

Re: winterizing your boat and motor
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2004, 06:32 AM »
YES more stuff to do this fall, hehe.  Good idea Scott no time like the present.....or maybe net weekend......  :'(
Anthony

jrelaxin

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2004, 12:28 PM »
what do i do with the my pretty blonde in the back ???
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2004, 12:40 PM »
send her to me ;D I'll keep her warm ;D

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2004, 01:58 PM »
put her on your snowmobile!
Scotty 

buzz bait

• save the walleyes
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2004, 02:12 PM »
I DID MY BOAT ONCE i got a 14 footer with a 25 horse i normaly take it out a about 10 times in the winter weather permitting when it comes to plug change 3 time a year grease it once a month need it or not never had trouble ::)

Polar

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2004, 02:19 PM »
Lots of time left before you put the boat up.Fall is the time for the big bite before ice.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2004, 04:24 PM »
Winterizing ???

Please post a reminder the end of December ;D
This is when I start really fishing again....still 3 months of great perch action to be had.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2004, 04:40 PM »
not trying to rush it guys, just trying to get some opinions  :'(
Scotty 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2004, 05:01 PM »
I'm just torn...I want to put the boat up on DEC 31st and drill holes on New Years Day....I hate down time :'(

It's really a great suggestion to those who don't fish in the late fall. Thanks for the reminder.
Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bigfish57

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2004, 08:13 PM »
Season end on October 1st up here.... not much time left.
Anthony

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2004, 04:11 AM »
  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(   gives me a little time to take care of things here before the ice sets in!!most lakes and ponds in maine in Androscoggin, Cumberland, Kennebec,Knox,Lincoln, Sagadahoc, Waldo and York are still open for  catch and release fishing through november.
Scotty 

Gilles

« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2004, 02:09 PM »
When you guys say you greese your motor, what areas do you grease?  My motor has one problem, occasionally after I start it up I'll put it into gear and it doesn't run to full capacity, it will run at about 1/3 the power, then it takes me a few times of reaving the throtle to get it back up to speed, does anyone know how to fix this? The motor is a 35 mercury.

Hookset

« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2004, 03:11 PM »
When you guys say you greese your motor, what areas do you grease?  My motor has one problem, occasionally after I start it up I'll put it into gear and it doesn't run to full capacity, it will run at about 1/3 the power, then it takes me a few times of reaving the throtle to get it back up to speed, does anyone know how to fix this? The motor is a 35 mercury.

Had a similar issue with my little 9.9 horse years ago.  Turned out to be a water-filled fuel filter and worn points.  Don't know how old your motor is, so it may not have points, but the filter is a 3 dollar fix.  Good luck.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Jigwiggler

« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2004, 03:16 PM »

Change you plugs first, if that doesn't help you may have to clean the carb.  Make sure you are mixing the fuel correctly and that it is clean.

The only grease fittings on most motors are the pivot point at which the motor turns and on the tillar handle provided you have one.   Jet drives have their own fittings associated with them also.

I DID MY BOAT ONCE i got a 14 footer with a 25 horse i normaly take it out a about 10 times in the winter weather permitting when it comes to plug change 3 time a year grease it once a month need it or not never had trouble ::)

Buzzbait, do you really change your spark plug 3X's a year?  If so, you might be running a little rich.  I haven't changed mine in 5 years and it still starts 2nd pull cold and trolls like a dream.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.