FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: am I getting old?!  (Read 6312 times)

dadiddy2304

am I getting old?!
« on: Mar 22, 2013, 12:47 PM »
is it me or are these lure prices getting ridiculous.  I remember when I used to complain about Rapalas being $5 a pop, now the average lure is $10.  even spoons are $7 for a piece of metal!  I've been fishing my whole life and still lose 4 to 5 lures a year...  i dont know -- its crazy... and its only going to go up from here... in 10 years its going to be $15-$20 for the average lure.  just needed to complain....

waterwolf603

Re: am I getting old?!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2013, 01:07 PM »
i completely agree with you especially when i like to fish for river walleye and toss crankbaits its nothing to lose a couple of those 8-10$ lures a trip and it gets real old real fast
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

pascoag icefisher

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2013, 04:32 PM »
The price of lure is ridiculous!i got some good deals on lures at bass pro and dick during there preseason sales.

Briansnat

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2013, 04:47 PM »
I'm already seeing lures in the 15-20 dollar range.   I really can't imagine them being that much better than an $8 lure.   I  wait for sales at BPS,  Dicks or Sports Authority, or buy my lures at Wmart, so  most of the time I'm paying no more than 4-6 bucks for a Rapala or similar lure.  The only time I pay the high prices is when it's something I can't find in the big box stores and have to buy it in the local tackle shop.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2013, 05:12 PM »
You expected prices to go down?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Yup were old.   Get use to it............. ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

doitnow

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2013, 05:31 PM »
I'm already seeing lures in the 15-20 dollar range.   I really can't imagine them being that much better than an $8 lure.   I  wait for sales at BPS,  Dicks or Sports Authority, or buy my lures at Wmart, so  most of the time I'm paying no more than 4-6 bucks for a Rapala or similar lure.  The only time I pay the high prices is when it's something I can't find in the big box stores and have to buy it in the local tackle shop.
That's why there isn't bait shops around any more!

rebelss

• Northern's for Supper!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2013, 06:28 PM »
I'm getting old and still say lure prices are insane. Have to raise my own crawlers in lieu of lures, spent all my savings on ammo.  ::)  ;D
"Time is here and gone"....The Doobies

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Oil, guys. It all comes back to.......OIL!!!!!!
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

dadiddy2304

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2013, 10:52 PM »

That wouldnt surprise me one bit actually....
You expected prices to go down?

RG

No, just remember when they were $5 a pop, and kind of expected them to hover around the same price -- not almost double with no end in sight...

i wonder what the costs would be to start making my own.....  eventually thats what im gonna have to do anyway at this rate with the inflation...

doitnow

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2013, 10:54 PM »
It all comes from China

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2013, 02:45 AM »
Sad thing is, rapala's are cheap compared to live target and lucky craft and such. I remember seeing a bass swimbait on tackle warehouse for $490. Paying $10-$20 for a lure is considered cheap now. I loose lots of lures....adds up quick

Briansnat

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2013, 07:41 AM »
No, just remember when they were $5 a pop, and kind of expected them to hover around the same price -- not almost double with no end in sight...

When my parents moved a few years ago my dad was clearing out some of his old fishing stuff and gave it to me.   He had a few Rapalas, still in their original box, marked $2.99.

stripernut

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2013, 08:10 AM »
I am always looking for bargains and often find good deals, in big box stores, small shops and ebay. But some lures like Sebile Magic Swimmers, you just can't find big discounts and so far I have not found a lure as well made with a action like it. I have caught so many fish with Shimano's Butterfly jigs and they start at over $20 and don't even come with hooks! Some times the cheaper knock offs will work (thank goodness) but many lures just aren't as good... All that being said, I don't throw the expensive lures into brush piles, (if I can help it) and I go thru a lot more effort to get one of those suckers back. I do think that there is a LOT of gouging going on, but many of the expensive lures are much better made then your average Rapala. As long as enough anglers buy them, then they will keep selling them...
In 1960 a loaf of bread and a gal. of gas was .25 cents... I think (its to early in the morning for me)if we did the math, a Rapala has not gone up as much in comparison...

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2013, 08:11 AM »
20$ is definatly insane for a lure even 10$ is crazy. I try to hit up the flea markets and watch craigslist for whole tackle boxes filled with gear for cheap. Only problem with that is you don't get a choice of color/brand ect. so ya still end up spend that $11.99 for that new rapala xrap countdown...at least it always ends up being worth it when you land that fish in the $80+ net ya just had to have...dam nothings cheap :'(
done dirt cheap!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.